+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Machinist question

Post Thanks / Like

Machinist question

Name:  P1000474.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  114.5 KB Hi I'm not sure if this is appropriate here as it is more a machinist question.
    I have had this Sealey puller for ages. But the threads have got twisted and broken. the
    threaded inside part is ok as the top two" of thread works good I was looking for a new one as it was
    a very handy puller. But the only one's I can find in that size are on ebay UK and the seller doesn't
    ship to Canada. It is 250mm wide and 200mm long. I wondered if it would be possible to cut a new
    bolt for it? It is a very fine thread. But the centre seems heavy enough to drill and change to a courser
    thread if that would be easier. I appreciate any suggestions . Hope Sam might notice it?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Machinist question

Thread insert

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

Post Thanks / Like

There Journeyman ‎Machinist here.
    I have union card myself but background in welding and fabrication.

Typically I would just use grade 8 all thread. The internal thread maybe damage too check before buy the all thread.
    You both inch and mm all thread.
    So choose for next step up.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Josey View Post
Size:  114.5 KB Hi I'm not sure if this is appropriate here as it is more a machinist question.
    I have had this Sealey puller for ages. But the threads have got twisted and broken. the
    threaded inside part is ok as the top two" of thread works good I was looking for a new one as it was
    a very handy puller. But the only one's I can find in that size are on ebay UK and the seller doesn't
    ship to Canada. It is 250mm wide and 200mm long. I wondered if it would be possible to cut a new
    bolt for it? It is a very fine thread. But the centre seems heavy enough to drill and change to a courser
    thread if that would be easier. I appreciate any suggestions . Hope Sam might notice it?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

The thread insert is only a stop gap that purchased over counter.
    When make insert's I use O1 tool steel. But puller is very then at threads which may fail using inserts.

Dave

One of the better in pass was bore threads a little bigger and use straight insert with collar for welding so does not turn it takes less metal still using O1 tool steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac's Crew View Post
    Thread insert

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by smithdoor; 06-11-2021 at 03:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Finer threads allow a lot more torque. I think you should be be able to drill and tap it for the next larger size (or 2 sizes larger depending on drill size for tap) fine thread bolt. Then use a grade 8 or stronger bolt for the screw like Smithdoor mentioned. Most important is getting the threads perfectly straight in the puller so the screw stays centered. Clamped and using a drill press or mill to tap would be best.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Finer threads allow a lot more torque. I think you should be be able to drill and tap it for the next larger size (or 2 sizes larger depending on drill size for tap) fine thread bolt. Then use a grade 8 or stronger bolt for the screw like Smithdoor mentioned. Most important is getting the threads perfectly straight in the puller so the screw stays centered. Clamped and using a drill press or mill to tap would be best.
    Why drill and tap the body when those threads are good? Wouldn't just be easier to get a thread gauge, find out what pitch the bolt has and replace that with something that matches?
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Generally the threads on the screw stretch and get banged up. Finding a threaded rod the same pitch and size may be difficult. McMaster Carr carries some weird threaded rods and also many pullers utilize the same odd size threads. Tig welding a nut on the underside and using a different thread size and pitch may be an option.

Post Thanks / Like

9. Likes rhunt, farmall, Josey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    Why drill and tap the body when those threads are good? Wouldn't just be easier to get a thread gauge, find out what pitch the bolt has and replace that with something that matches?
    Definitely the route I would take. Simple solutions first
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

11. Likes G-ManBart, Josey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a chart of both metric and standard machine screws:
    https://www.bestmaterials.com/PDF_Fi...crew-sizes.pdf

It likely that the screw is metric since the manufacturer is in the UK

Putting a coarser screw is a bad idea (re. Welder Dave). A fine screw is like low gear on a transmission. Makes it easier to generate more force. If you want to pull a stump, you put the truck in low gear.

13. Likes farmall, Josey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I read you right, the body of the puller has threads that are still OK. If that is the case, figure out thread pitch and diameter with a mic or calipers at least and a simple thread pitch gage. I would cut off the damaged part of the rod so you don't damage the thread in the puller body when backing it out and then either replace with an off the shelf item or find a good machinist with a lathe to match it for you.

If the body threads are damaged but not totally dead, I would do the same process and then find a thread chaser or tap to see if you can restore them first, before taking more drastic measures as posted above. And after you fix it, make sure to use lube on the threads anytime you use it to help avoid the issue.
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

15. Likes Josey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Im guessing that would be an acme screw, usually Higher quality pullers are.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    To answer your question, yes a good machinist could make a new screw on a lathe. Typically pullers do not use a commonly available thread (that's not ACME thread), but most lathe's should be able to duplicate it.

The bigger challenge will be cost. An hour or so of machinist's time, plus the raw material, may cost more than what a replacement puller would be.
    Last edited by scsmith42; 06-12-2021 at 08:39 AM.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

18. Likes rhunt, Josey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Most pulley puller use a extra fine thread.
    If do not have the cost can get hight.
    Even buying tap is costly.

Dave

Tap cost
    https://www.mcmaster.com/Taps/general-purpose-taps-9/thread-size~3-4-20/thread-type~unef/

Pulley puller
    https://www.mcmaster.com/6340K32/

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    To answer your question, yes a good machinist could make a new screw on a lathe. Typically pullers do not use a commonly available thread (that's not ACME thread), but most lathe's should be able to duplicate it.

The bigger challenge will be cost. An hour or so of machinist's time, plus the raw material, may cost more than what a replacement puller would be.
    Last edited by smithdoor; 06-12-2021 at 10:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

You may want look at hydraulic type

https://www.harborfreight.com/5-ton-...ler-95326.html

Dave

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Use some anti-seize on those puller threads and they will hold up a LOT better, and work easier.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

22. Likes Lis2323, scsmith42, farmall, 12V71, Josey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I realize you like the jaw design of your Sealy because it has served you well for years.

If you are unable to repair yours, a 2 or 3 jaw puller from PosiLock will do the job.

Notice the cage to keep jaws from spreading. A tube of extreme pressure lube is supplied for the screws.

These PosiLock are all I used on the farm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

24. Likes Josey, scsmith42, farmall, 12V71, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for their ideas and suggestions. I will take the puller into the machine shop in our local town
    and hear what they say. A new one is about 80 pounds UK. Which would be about $140 Canadian. With shiooing and customs duties probably over $200. Lis 2323. I do have a posi lock Puller. It is a 208 Two legged puller. I think it opens 12'. It is a far stronger and better puller than the sealey. But out of my selection of pullers I mostly use the sealey as I find it very quick and handy to use, I am very envious Of your collection of pullers though. A lot of moneys worth of tools there.

26. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The first thing I would probably do is run a die over the threads and see if I could straighten them out. That's if you could purchase the die reasonably.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wayne55 View Post
    The first thing I would probably do is run a die over the threads and see if I could straighten them out. That's if you could purchase the die reasonably.
    IMO, if you straighten those threads enough to use it as a puller it will get part way through the yoke & gall the threads and probably screw up the threads in the yoke.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

29. Likes Josey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for their ideas and suggestions. I will take the puller into the machine shop in our local town
    and hear what they say. A new one is about 80 pounds UK. Which would be about $140 Canadian. With shiooing and customs duties probably over $200. Lis 2323. I do have a posi lock Puller. It is a 208 Two legged puller. I think it opens 12'. It is a far stronger and better puller than the sealey. But out of my selection of pullers I mostly use the sealey as I find it very quick and handy to use, I am very envious Of your collection of pullers though. A lot of moneys worth of tools there.
    Wow a puller that opens 12 feet. You could use that on some the the things Mesta made. Having a machine shop do all the work may cost as much or more than a new clamp.

31. Dislikes Josey disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How do use a 12 foot puller?

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    How do use a 12 foot puller?

Dave

With a 13 foot hand!!

I would adapt it to a hydraulic cylinder like sold by Porta-Power,, then live happily after,,

https://www.amazon.com/Porta-Power-H...47081414&psc=1

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like good puller
    Lot quicker that old type.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post
    With a 13 foot hand!!

I would adapt it to a hydraulic cylinder like sold by Porta-Power,, then live happily after,,

https://www.amazon.com/Porta-Power-H...47081414&psc=1

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist