+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rusty Bobcat 225, ok to buy?

Post Thanks / Like

Rusty Bobcat 225, ok to buy?

Like the title says, I am looking at a rusty 225. Guy says it runs and welds in only one position. I assume the rotary switches are corroded inside. Are the switches hard to take apart to clean? Worth the risk to pick it up? Anything else a major concern with it being rusty/corroded?
    12v battery, jumper cables, and a 6013.
    Tube channel: https://youtube.com/@VPTfab

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rusty Bobcat 225, ok to buy?

Guy says it runs and welds in only one position.

Overhead, Vertical Up, or Horizontal?????

3. Likes snowbird, BrooklynBravest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Guy says it runs and welds in only one position.

Overhead, Vertical Up, or Horizontal?????
    I thought the same thing when he said that! haha

5. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't heard from you in a while. There should be a fine time rotary rheostat that you turn to dial in your amps. Unlikely that's seized. Depending year and model there will be a rotary switch with different detents for amp range. And some for AC or DC weld output and CC or CV weld current. If it runs decent, puts out welder and generator power along with auto idle working it should be good with some cleaning up. Good luck with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Auto idle works, runs great, welds, and puts out power. Cant wait to tear into it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VPT View Post
    Auto idle works, runs great, welds, and puts out power. Cant wait to tear into it!

O'Reilly has the big cans of PB blaster on sale this month. I've seen worse and better. Mosinee machine probably has plenty of units for parts such as the missing top cover.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Haven't heard from you in a while. There should be a fine time rotary rheostat that you turn to dial in your amps. Unlikely that's seized. Depending year and model there will be a rotary switch with different detents for amp range. And some for AC or DC weld output and CC or CV weld current. If it runs decent, puts out welder and generator power along with auto idle working it should be good with some cleaning up. Good luck with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    O'Reilly has the big cans of PB blaster on sale this month. I've seen worse and better. Mosinee machine probably has plenty of units for parts such as the missing top cover.

Yes it has been awhile, been super busy and haven't even had time to get on the computer and read threw some forums.

Looking at lots of pictures of the bobcats I see some with covers and some without. Looking at mine There is a plastic liner around the opening and I dont see bolt holes or anything indicating that there was a cover. However I feel there should be a cover and do want to add one even if there never was one. It just doesnt seem right to let rain and junk to just fall on the motor.

I first want to get the switches working right and make sure everything works as it should. Then I'd like to clean up all the electricals, connections, slip rings, ect. Then I have to figure out leads, I am going to keep my eyes open for a used set. I do have the stinger from my tig welder I never use but it is only 15-20ft long I think.

After all that then I will start cleaning up and painting covers. I do want it to look nice eventually if it works like it should.

The story I was told about the welder:
    The guys brother works for a company that has these on their trucks as generators. I dont think leads have even ever been hooked up to these machines. He also said not only do they have them for just generators they hardly get used. He buys them from the company when they get new trucks and welders. This one was one of two he got this time, he kept the other for himself. The one he kept worked like it should without any work so that is why he kept it. It also had only 300 hours on it. The one I got shows 65 hours. They get rusty from being on the trucks in WI winters. I am personally doubting the 65 hours, I am hoping to find some sort of tell tale if that is close to right or not.

I am pretty excited, I've been wanting an engine drive for quite a few years but couldnt justify spending 2K on one as I'd only use it occasionally. This will be my project thread, I'll update as I go. I really appreciate any tips and insight as well!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it has been awhile, been super busy and haven't even had time to get on the computer and read threw some forums.

Looking at lots of pictures of the bobcats I see some with covers and some without. Looking at mine There is a plastic liner around the opening and I dont see bolt holes or anything indicating that there was a cover. However I feel there should be a cover and do want to add one even if there never was one. It just doesnt seem right to let rain and junk to just fall on the motor.

I first want to get the switches working right and make sure everything works as it should. Then I'd like to clean up all the electricals, connections, slip rings, ect. Then I have to figure out leads, I am going to keep my eyes open for a used set. I do have the stinger from my tig welder I never use but it is only 15-20ft long I think.

After all that then I will start cleaning up and painting covers. I do want it to look nice eventually if it works like it should.

The story I was told about the welder:
    The guys brother works for a company that has these on their trucks as generators. I dont think leads have even ever been hooked up to these machines. He also said not only do they have them for just generators they hardly get used. He buys them from the company when they get new trucks and welders. This one was one of two he got this time, he kept the other for himself. The one he kept worked like it should without any work so that is why he kept it. It also had only 300 hours on it. The one I got shows 65 hours. They get rusty from being on the trucks in WI winters. I am personally doubting the 65 hours, I am hoping to find some sort of tell tale if that is close to right or not.

I am pretty excited, I've been wanting an engine drive for quite a few years but couldnt justify spending 2K on one as I'd only use it occasionally. This will be my project thread, I'll update as I go. I really appreciate any tips and insight as well!
    I lost your phone number. I have plenty of lead I could part with. Ground and stinger as well. You would either need eyelets or tweco offset stud connections, which I don't have. PM me your # and we can work something out.

Post Thanks / Like

I just had my bobcat burn out i gues its called the fine reostat,and it would only weld on high. on that one think it was a couple hundred dollar fix they get turned Up or down under load and it smokes them
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have bobcat parts?

We have a bad reactor. Seems hard to get even used as they are a common thing to rust and quit working. Also assuming not very cheap either when found. I am sure many get tossed with machines that burnt up motors or generators.

If anyone has a lead on one I'd be grateful! It is a 2006 225

So it puts out power just fine, and welds in "wire" mode. Is it ok to stick weld in wire mode? Besides having more of a challenge welding is it bad for the machine? Just till (hopefully) I find a reactor for it.

The bad reactor. You can see the fins getting pushed out from rust.

Last edited by VPT; 06-14-2021 at 02:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

It will stick weld in wire mode but the arc will be choppy and erratic. That sucks about that part, but all in all that's the way it is with old machines

Post Thanks / Like

Rusty got put to work today. She powered my MM250 to weld some art together at a local art park. Already paying for itself! I just need a reactor for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Rusty got put to work today. She powered my MM250 to weld some art together at a local art park. Already paying for itself! I just need a reactor for it.

Cool to see that part is working well.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear you got it done.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad the generator side is working well for you How much did you get it for?
    Airco Ac/Dc 300 Heliwelder
    MillerMatic 200 (stolen)
    Miller Maxstar 150STL
    Miller Maxstar 161STH
    Miller AEAD200LE
    Hobart MIG
    Lincoln Idealarc 250

Post Thanks / Like

Yes everything works well besides the stick welding part. I was thinking, since the reactor is bad anyhow and it is not needed for generating power or "wire welding" I am going to pull it out and pull it apart to see whats what. Is it a silly idea to cut all new laminates on the plasma table, put together a new "block of steel" with the laminates, and wrap the copper myself to just make my own "reactor"? The windings look to be super coarse, I'd guess close to 1/8" copper wire.

I have rewound an electric motor once before and it worked like it should so I have a slight amount of experience winding copper. I am just most curious about the laminated block of steel. Is it as simple as just a bunch of steel plates laminated together? DOes their thickness matter? No insulated separation? Why couldnt it be a machined solid block?

SquirmyPug, I paid $500 for the machine. Easy to make back in a couple jobs I figured. But I see it can be a rabbit hole now too. I'd like a feeder for it, TIG, dedicated trailer, lead reels, etc. lol But I am just very happy to finally have one. Having portability is very nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes everything works well besides the stick welding part. I was thinking, since the reactor is bad anyhow and it is not needed for generating power or "wire welding" I am going to pull it out and pull it apart to see whats what. Is it a silly idea to cut all new laminates on the plasma table, put together a new "block of steel" with the laminates, and wrap the copper myself to just make my own "reactor"? The windings look to be super coarse, I'd guess close to 1/8" copper wire.

I have rewound an electric motor once before and it worked like it should so I have a slight amount of experience winding copper. I am just most curious about the laminated block of steel. Is it as simple as just a bunch of steel plates laminated together? DOes their thickness matter? No insulated separation? Why couldnt it be a machined solid block?

SquirmyPug, I paid $500 for the machine. Easy to make back in a couple jobs I figured. But I see it can be a rabbit hole now too. I'd like a feeder for it, TIG, dedicated trailer, lead reels, etc. lol But I am just very happy to finally have one. Having portability is very nice!
    Might want to check with " motors and controls" on hwy 54. They deal with stuff like that and could probably do the lamination needed on that stab reactor.

Post Thanks / Like

Even if you can't get a reactor, what about getting a small inverter stick/tig machine to run off the generator?
    You could do that until you find a used reactor to replace it with that way you're only using the bobcat for most jobs.
    For $500 I would be tempted too even though I just got my first generator welder a few weeks ago at least your machine was running and mostly working you might post over on the Miller section, might have someone over there that could help. I got lots of help with my aead200le.
    Airco Ac/Dc 300 Heliwelder
    MillerMatic 200 (stolen)
    Miller Maxstar 150STL
    Miller Maxstar 161STH
    Miller AEAD200LE
    Hobart MIG
    Lincoln Idealarc 250

Post Thanks / Like

My Bobcat is 2006 Model. Bobcat 250, best I can tell it was put in the bottom of a truck, all the steel they ever welded was dumped on it. When I bought it it had 1200 hours, looked battered. I bought it 2014? $1200 leads were in rough shape.
    New leads, it worked.
    Always had to run with the choke out a little. Plastic was broken several places surrounding faceplate. At the time I bought it, I bought a new plastic surround & choke cable.
    This week eldest son Seth decreed: "The welder is running like $hit. I'm going to check it out."
    Choke issue was no clamp on the outer jacket of the choke cable. That solved the "running like $hit" issue.
    It got a bath, blow dry, filters, oil change, more Sta-Bil, A new plastic face.

Onan engine, battered, 1700 hours, it works fine. I always wanted a trailblazer.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    My Bobcat is 2006 Model. Bobcat 250, best I can tell it was put in the bottom of a truck, all the steel they ever welded was dumped on it. When I bought it it had 1200 hours, looked battered. I bought it 2014? $1200 leads were in rough shape.
    New leads, it worked.
    Always had to run with the choke out a little. Plastic was broken several places surrounding faceplate. At the time I bought it, I bought a new plastic surround & choke cable.
    This week eldest son Seth decreed: "The welder is running like $hit. I'm going to check it out."
    Choke issue was no clamp on the outer jacket of the choke cable. That solved the "running like $hit" issue.
    It got a bath, blow dry, filters, oil change, more Sta-Bil, A new plastic face.

Onan engine, battered, 1700 hours, it works fine. I always wanted a trailblazer.
    I had a guy show up on a cross country pipe job looking for work, he had an old F250 4x4 and an equally old Bobcat with the square case and exposed O. Younger guy trying to get started out. Man he could lay a weld, he ran that poor old Bobcat nearly wide open running 5/32" and 3/16" 6010 5P and made some perfect welds.
    After a week I gave him a new Trailblazer 302 and told him he had a year to pay me back. To this day if I need help he is right on it. Oh.. He now has a much newer truck with a crane and a Pipe Pro 350 and his own business.

23. Likes bead-boy, TJS, jay gill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirmyPug View Post
    Even if you can't get a reactor, what about getting a small inverter stick/tig machine to run off the generator?
    You could do that until you find a used reactor to replace it with that way you're only using the bobcat for most jobs.
    For $500 I would be tempted too even though I just got my first generator welder a few weeks ago at least your machine was running and mostly working you might post over on the Miller section, might have someone over there that could help. I got lots of help with my aead200le.

It did run my MM250 just fine. I have been wanting a small inverter machine for a back up for some time now but money is tight. In hind sight I should have kept my thunderbolt.

I am going to pull the reactor out and see what I am dealing with. Maybe I will find it only needs a little help.

Post Thanks / Like

Might give these folks a try,
    https://arcsolinc.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vwguy3 View Post
    Might give these folks a try,
    https://arcsolinc.com/
    They can get a new one, but, $1163.63.

Post Thanks / Like

I wondered because they are a fairly large repair facility if they might have a unit you could buy for parts.
    You and I(and most anyone here) know that somewhere around there is a PILE of those machines.....taken out of service because of time, replaced and saved for back up, non repairable but saved for parts. The problem is finding one of those.

Post Thanks / Like

MGD said mosinee machine it's actually mosinee small motor they have a boatload of old welders they always treated me well but hard to get ahold of i usually just drive up there

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist