Thread: Shelving units

Post Thanks / Like

Shelving units

Making shelving units for either side of the fireplace. One done welding and painted flat black. Just need to make the wood shelving.
    Made one error on the dimensions, when cutting the cross pieces i was thinking of the 1" inner stock not the 1 1/4" main tubing. The shelving now needs to be 16 1/2" so I can't get 3 out of a sheet of plywood. maybe instead of iron-on wood edge i will have to cut edge strips and glue.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2. Likes LtBadd, psacustomcreations liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shelving units

Looks good!
    Richard
    West coast of Florida

Post Thanks / Like

Easy and economical to band edges with 1/2” strip of hardwood (poplar, cherry) or clear southern pine. You can find molding or cut on table saw. You have to cover the edges anyway. Just glue and clamp, do not nail or you will likely be dealing with splitting.

I just finished a set of storage cabinets for my daughter, going to paint shop this week.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 120

10FtDrillBit.com

Post Thanks / Like

I use a headless pinner (23 ga air nailer) to keep edging like this in place while clamping to set the glue. Keeps them from sliding around and basically invisible. But yes, gluing on edging will make up for the shortfall, and unless you were going for the industrial look you were at least going to do veneer on the edges. This isn't much more work, and it also makes for a much more durable edge, so I would do it on one edge and face it front.

Nice shelf design. Post up photos of it installed when you are done.
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled