+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What small portable stick welder?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What small portable stick welder?

@ttoks Will BOC let you demo one?

Will be interesting to see country of manufacture.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post
    honestly I'm not concerned about it being limited in output, 150 amp's is plenty to run a 1/8 7018/7016/6010, if the job is big enough to warrant more than a 1/8th rod it will probably be done with a wire feeder run off of an engine drive, this machine for me is the portable small jobs machine that's light and easy to carry around.

But I'm interested to see how it go's with 6010 as well, fronius had the 6010 in a small inverter thing down 15 year's ago when they first introduced the transpocket 1500, they run a fire stick just as well as an old transformer machine so I'm hoping EWM has the same.
    Yeah hopefully it has what it takes to run them at full potential. Adjustable hot start and arc force are a big sell for me. Doing stuff like thin wall hand rail, it's nice to be able to turn it down or off to avoid burn thru. I've used the smallish inverters for almost all of my stick welding for about 10 years now. I dont miss the stringing out of long leads anymore either. Only thing I still use the big machines for anymore is air arcing, otherwise it's usually wire. It takes getting used to the fact that the can of electrodes is often heavier than the machine itself. One thing I noticed with all of the small machines is that the leads are often too short.

3. Likes MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Yeah hopefully it has what it takes to run them at full potential. Adjustable hot start and arc force are a big sell for me. Doing stuff like thin wall hand rail, it's nice to be able to turn it down or off to avoid burn thru. I've used the smallish inverters for almost all of my stick welding for about 10 years now. I dont miss the stringing out of long leads anymore either. Only thing I still use the big machines for anymore is air arcing, otherwise it's usually wire. It takes getting used to the fact that the can of electrodes is often heavier than the machine itself. One thing I noticed with all of the small machines is that the leads are often too short.
    Same here, I use the Thermal Arc 161 for almost everything. Leads are a nice length but could still be a little longer.

I only use my big machines for AC tig or heavy welding.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't welded anything in about 45 years. Back then I was using a buzz box and was only torching off and adding cutting blades on heavy equipment, adding to metal to grousers, repairing weird broken stuff. I tried a couple of basic AC units and was really disappointed in what I thought I might be able to do. Was advised on Welding Web to try the ESAB 180, use premium 7018 rods, and I was VERY PLEASED. The hot start is great. I've used 6010, 6013, and 7018, and, while still learning, the ESAB 180i was a perfect choice for me.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist