+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What small portable stick welder?

Post Thanks / Like

What small portable stick welder?

I feel kinda stupid even asking this since really I've used my fair share of portable stick welder's and have a decent idea whats good and what's not, but I've also never had to pay for them.

So I've been working for myself and I figured my old Unimig caddy would be all I needed to get started, i'd run maybe 10 rods through it in the last ten years since I don't really weld outside of work so I didn't really realise that it's worth all of the $250 I paid for it 15 year's ago, the lack of any sort of hot start is what kills me the most, but i'd like to be able to run 6010 as well.

The obvious answer for me at least is a Fronius transpocket 150, without a doubt in my mind the BEST small portable stick/lift arc TIG welding machine that will run 6010 (except maybe the Fronius accupocket 150, the battery powered version) but at $1400 it's more than I can justify.

I'm after small and light (under 20 pounds, lighter is better) at least 150 amps, can run 6010 and not $1400 (around $1000 USD, cheaper is better).

anyone have any suggestions?
    Last edited by ttoks; 06-18-2021 at 10:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What small portable stick welder?

Esab 180i. It's 650$ here( USA). Not sure if it's available there, but they do have other models. I've never been a fan of bigger esab machines, but they have it down on the stick inverter machines. Fully adjustable hot start and arc force. Seperate dedicated 6010 function and lift arc Tig.

3. Likes MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post
    I feel kinda stupid even asking this since really I've used my fair share of portable stick welder's and have a decent idea whats good and what's not, but I've also never had to pay for them.

So I've been working for myself and I figured my old Unimig caddy would be all I needed to get started, i'd run maybe 10 rods through it in the last ten years since I don't really weld outside of work so I didn't really realise that it's worth all of the $250 I paid for it 15 year's ago, the lack of any sort of hot start is what kills me the most, but i'd like to be able to run 6010 as well.

The obvious answer for me at least is a Fronius transpocket 150, without a doubt in my mind the BEST small portable stick/lift arc TIG welding machine that will run 6010 (except maybe the Fronius accupocket 150, the battery powered version) but at $1400 it's more than I can justify.

I'm after small and light (under 20 pounds, lighter is better) at least 150 amps, can run 6010 and not $1400 (around $1000 USD, cheaper is better).

anyone have any suggestions?
    I just purchased an esab 180i. I dont know the weight off the top of my head but meets all of your other requirements. Ive been using it for 2 weeks now and im impressed. I was looking for something portable and run on both 110 and 220. And its hard for me to be impressed as of late. I would check it out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kize View Post
    And its hard for me to be impressed as of late.
    Is COVID causing that,, ?? Or,, something else? Maybe you need to take the wife out to dinner and a show,,

Post Thanks / Like

I know the OP is looking at higher end machines - having already mentioned Fronius. However, if you want something to maybe tide you over or run for a while before you can make the investment in what you really want take a look at Everlast. Yeah, you'll get the frowning crowd here calling them "Neverlast" etc, etc, however I think they have a lot going for them for being on the lower end of the price point. I have a PowerArc 210STL and it will do everything you are wanting. I got it for very much the same reasons - a suitcase machine that will run 6010. My other stick machine is an Idealarc 250 AC/DC. It isn't very portable so thats where the 210STL fills the gaps. That and its more convenient to grab it for a small project. Most of my welding fits that "small" category - brackets here and there.

Post Thanks / Like

The Esab 180 like mentioned gets good reviews for burning 6010 and 7018. and is reasonably priced for a name brand machine. Don't know enough about Fronius machines. I liked when welding supplies used to have demo rooms so you could try machines out.

8. Likes bobhdus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi. I Don't think you can get any better value than these. I like the 80% duty cycle at 200 amps.

http://wwwebay.com litm/1538211393882

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josey View Post
    Hi. I Don't think you can get any better value than these. I like the 80% duty cycle at 200 amps.

Link no worky.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if they are available where you are, but I've heard good things about them.

Arc-One guy used one of these : Jasic ARC 200 PFC Inverter Welder https://www.jasic.co.uk/tig-200-welding-inverter

List Price: £450 and a 5 Year Warranty . (UK site)

Video of welder in use :

UNIMIG ARC180 WELDING MACHINE : https://www.australiaindustrialgroup.../unimig-arc180

AU$329.00 Sale Price Warranty - 3 years on power source

Cheers
    Last edited by albrightree; 06-19-2021 at 11:06 AM.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

Hi. Sorry I can never get the link to work right. The welder I was referring to Was the Amico
    200 arc amp stick welder You can find them on ebay at Amico .com $199 80% duty cycle at 200 amps
    even shows a video of them being pushed to the limit to prove it.
    I Have a small inverter stick welder I like very much. It is a Canaweld machine No Chinese. Made right here
    in Canada. It is 160% at 200 amps A three year warranty and cost around $500 Canadian I can run it all day long
    Burning 1/8" rods with my small 5000w Honda generator off a 75' cord See there web page
    What part of Australia are you from? I imagine shipping could be a problem? I travelled all over WSW and
    South Australia working for a custom harvester Many years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Never even heard of Canaweld before but I would suspect they use materials sourced from overseas for their machines and assemble them in Canada. Say's they are the exclusive importer of Mosa machines in Canada so I'm guessing they're Italian. Could be decent machines though. Curious where they advertise their machines? Their little 200 amp engine drive would be really popular if more people knew about it. Thermal Arc used to have a similar small engine drive but discontinued it. Easy to grab and put in a pick up.
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 06-19-2021 at 01:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Problem with the majority of the smaller inverter machines is that they lack the arc force and hot start adjustability. The Esab , Miller, Fronius and a few others have those features but at a higher price. Another feature with the better machines is they are more efficient with input power. Pretty much the difference between professional grade equipment and occasion use equipment.

15. Likes MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I Have a small inverter stick welder I like very much. It is a Canaweld machine No Chinese. Made right here in Canada. It is 160% at 200 amps
    So ... is that, like ... 640% at 800 Amps? I think I found my new gouging machine!

17. Likes Lis2323, FlyFishn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Look through gumtree you might find a Kemppi or Fronius if lucky.

Or this:

https://www.boc.com.au/shop/en/au/we...002129-28532-p

And don’t rule out these:

https://www.boc.com.au/shop/en/au/we...er-mma171vrd-p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Link no worky.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/27358337991...IAAOSwRSBdmqkm

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't look bad, but I would doubt it can properly run 6010s. Just a hunch.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Most times you get what you pay for. I wouldn't put a lot of faith in a $199 welder if I'm used to using higher end machines.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    Not sure if they are available where you are, but I've heard good things about them.

Arc-One guy used one of these : Jasic ARC 200 PFC Inverter Welder https://www.jasic.co.uk/tig-200-welding-inverter

List Price: £450 and a 5 Year Warranty . (UK site)

Video of welder in use :

UNIMIG ARC180 WELDING MACHINE : https://www.australiaindustrialgroup.../unimig-arc180

AU$329.00 Sale Price Warranty - 3 years on power source

Cheers
    I've had a bit of experience with the late model Unimig/jasic/razor machines (they're all the same company these days) they're not bad if you get a good one, but that's the problem, they're inconsistent, one will be great, one will have a hot start that burns for 10 seconds at 200%, one will have a hot start that doesnt work at all ect, you get what you pay for with them these days, my unimig was worth the $250 15 years ago, I'd say well above average for a small portable welding machine at the time.

now THAT is a great deal, thanks for the link mate, i'll have a look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Most times you get what you pay for. I wouldn't put a lot of faith in a $199 welder if I'm used to using higher end machines.
    Exactly, that's why I'm looking at the higher end, the ESAB's that have been suggested do look good, and I've had alot of luck with ESAB machines over the years.

Post Thanks / Like

I lucked out a few years ago at a consignment auction and found a Miller 140XTR. These were made by Fronius for Miller to get into the small inverter market. I gave $200 for it, in like new condition. I have been amazed by the quality of its arc on 7018 and it will do lift arc tig as well. I have a Idealarc250 and a SA200 so I do recognize a smooth arc when ai see it. I call it the toaster because it’s about the same size as a 4 slice toaster. Will it be welding 50 years from now like a 350lb transformer machine? I doubt it but it’s fun while it lasts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve

Miller Dialarc 250 (1990)
    Miller Maxstar 140 STR (2003)
    Lincoln SA200 Redface Pipeliner (1966)
    Lincoln MP210 (2015)
    Victor and MECO torches

25. Likes Oldendum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You get what you pay for.

There are loads of decent little inverters that will run 7018 happily all day long and don;t cost a fortune... Miller, Lincoln, Kemppi, etc all do that at various pricepoints. They won't last forever, but they are good value. Even the chinese built ones from Esab (the latest model range is all import) and Jasic etc - good machines. Some will do 6010, some won't.

Then you get the real premium inverters that weld any rod happily as good as the best engine drives... Fronius for years made the only one worth mentioning, the Transpocket range.

The newest transpockets are the best yet... they're designed to run all day every day, in all weather conditions, and just work.

The only ones I'd consider if I wanted a new every-day stick set, would be Fronius or Lorch.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

It even comes with a condom purse for the modern metrosexual...what's not to like?

Name:  907722Thunderbolt 210 Package.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  35.7 KB
    Last edited by Kelvin; 06-21-2021 at 09:37 AM.

29. Likes pedaldude liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    So ... is that, like ... 640% at 800 Amps? I think I found my new gouging machine!
    Every site needs a Wit.

Post Thanks / Like

Every site needs a Wit.
    ...or in my case, a dumb@ss who laffs at his own jokes.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist