Thread: Hobart TR-250-HF Low Voltage

Post Thanks / Like

Hobart TR-250-HF Low Voltage

Hello everyone,

I have an old Hobart TR-250-HF welder, and primarily use it for welding aluminum. When using it the other day on an thin aluminum welding project, it started acting like it lost power half way through the project. Thinking that I might have contaminated the electrode, I changed the tungsten tip, but still the same problem. I cleaned the ground clamp, still did not work. I checked the incoming voltage, and it's good at 235 volts, as normal. I was welding 1/16" aluminum, and to finish the project, I had to raise the amperage to the highest setting - definitely not correct. Just wondering if anyone might have some ideas on what might be causing this and how to try to fix it? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hobart TR-250-HF Low Voltage

No ideas on the machine problem, BUT, welcome to welding web!
    You may get more replies if you post this in the Hobart thread in the main part of the Forum.
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD HELP AMERICA!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to post the serial number so the folks who really know these machines can look at the correct manual diagrams.

Did you try it on DC or attempt to stick weld with it? Your title says low voltage...did you actually measure the voltage with a multi-meter?
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

4. Likes EHarvey liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for your replies, really appreciate your help and welcome words. I'm new to the forum and didn't realize there was a specific Hobart area, I will try to get into it.
    But for now.... I did try the machine on full power with stick feed to steel, and still a no go. It has spark, but it's so weak I'm not sure if it would weld a tin can together.
    Also, I checked the incoming voltage at the wall connection, but I'm not sure how to check for other machine voltages.

Here are the machine specs: Model TR-250HF, Spec: 6088-1, Serial: 80WS06308. My dad bought this welder new sometime in the mid '70's, and I have it now. To my knowledge, he never had any problems with it until this issue.

Any advise or help you could possibly provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Eric