+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Repairing oxygen hose

Post Thanks / Like

Repairing oxygen hose

I've always just cut it and put a splice in with the crimped on cups. It makes the hose where it doesn't roll up right. Now I have a hose with a pin hole in it and was wondering if any one had tried to patch it with a small tube patch.Think it will work?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Repairing oxygen hose

Throw it in the trash and get a new one.

Post Thanks / Like

If the hose is in otherwise good shape, cut both hoses off the same length and use a repair nipple on both. I can't stand when someone has only repaired one hose and it's near the torch or at the torch. It wants to twist one way and makes it hard to hold steady.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Bob.
    Oxygen and acetylene hoses have multiple layers so if you put a patch on the outer jacket the gas will flow between the layers via the braid and pop out somewhere else!
    Splice it as you have been or throw it away.

Rex

5. Likes scsmith42, whtbaron, CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rexcormack View Post
    Hey Bob.
    Oxygen and acetylene hoses have multiple layers so if you put a patch on the outer jacket the gas will flow between the layers via the braid and pop out somewhere else!

Rex
    ^^^ This
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

What if the oxygen does not like Your choice of glue and blows up? Either repair as You have been doing or buy an early birthday present, so You make it to the next one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rexcormack View Post
    Hey Bob.

Rex
    Oh yeah, kill my dreams and crush my hopes.

Post Thanks / Like

bob, its not u, its them. they aint got the will/creativity u got. 40 yrs ago, u'd spit on the tooothpick from the tx coffee shop u just walked out of, and used it to fixed the hose, lit a cig, and went about ur days work forgetting about it. that wont work no more, as the sold us out to the disposable society. how dissapointing to that list of names above on "throw it away". at least u and i know, it can b e fixed, and that goes the same w/ big red.
    Last edited by 123weld; 06-23-2021 at 01:38 AM.

10. Likes shortarc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Oh yeah, kill my dreams and crush my hopes.
    All my kids called me "dream killer" because of my matter of fact just the facts mam attitude.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    bob, its not u, its them. they aint got the will/creativity u got. 40 yrs ago, u'd spit on the tooothpick from the tx coffee shop u just walked out of, and used it to fixed the hose, lit a cig, and went about ur days work forgetting about it. that wont work no more, as the sold us out to the disposable society. how dissapointing to that list of names above on "throw it away". at least u and i know, it can b e fixed, and that goes the same w/ big red.
    Yeah but… Back in the day we had products that lasted and were made to be used for decades and repaired. Now all the rubber hoses come out of china, don’t meet any specs of the old stuff, and might last years, but certainly not decades. A pin hole is a sign that it is begining to fail. Best to get a new one before it really starts to fail.

13. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If it is the first repair, I would cut, crimp and fix. If it's been repaired 2x, trash it and buy new. I am really cheap on a lot of items, but I dont like leaking hoses. The cost of lost gas will make up for it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    Yeah but… Back in the day we had products that lasted and were made to be used for decades and repaired. Now all the rubber hoses come out of china, don’t meet any specs of the old stuff, and might last years, but certainly not decades. A pin hole is a sign that it is begining to fail. Best to get a new one before it really starts to fail.
    yea, id agree w/ that. if i wanted to try attempt to fix, before resorting to a splce, i'd lightly take a grinder and remove outer hose matertial/fabric netting, and feather it out around hole. then lay a tire plug on a mirror, take a straight edge razor blade and chop/carve it up till it looked to size, and maybe lace it w/ permatex gasket sealer. grind u/rough up, the *** end of a small drill bit, put it in chuck upside down, and lower the quill to press plug in, like on a tire. then maybe cake some e6000 over/around it

Post Thanks / Like

Gluing a leaking oxy/fuel hose is ridiculous. Why not use the Flex Seal miracle tape or putty or put a larger hose over top of the leak? Better yet just put a screw in the pin hole. Either use a proper splice and clamps (I prefer Oetiker)or replace the hose.

Post Thanks / Like

If you cut the hose and caused a leak, then maybe fix it. If the hose was so old it is getting pin holes. Get rid of it now, cut it in short pieces so nobody else will try to use it. A leaking hose is just an explosion or fire ready to happen.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist