+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Everlast MIG

Post Thanks / Like

Everlast MIG

I am looking at buying a MIG machine soon and I am leaning towards getting an Everlast. I am purchasing from Canada. I think it is down to the Imig253dpi and the 275p. Some of the projects I have for it in the next while:building some fence post bases out of 3/16 SS plate (likely stick weld) a home made sawmill ( frame made of 3/16 wall rect steel tube) and quite likely an aluminum outboard bracket/hull extension. Would probably get up to 3/8" thick alum, although most would be likely 3/16". I haven't done much alum mig welding, but have done a fair bit of stick and MIG welding of steel at school, I am a high school metal shop teacher. We have a variety of machines at school that I use: Lincoln MP350, Miller 252, Esab rebel 205ac/dc. Haven't done much playing with pulse features yet, we don't weld much aluminum at school and don't need spray transfer with material thickness we usually use at school.
    I don't know how useful the double pulse will be to me? It seems like the duty cycle will be adequate with both machines, is the extra oomph of the 275 a real benefit with thicker alum? If I ever did take on an alum boat build, I am pretty sure I would spring for a TIG welder to deal with detail work, start/stops etc. I have found someone on this site that really seems to like the 275p for alum work and seems to have quite a bit of experience. The price difference between the two would almost buy me a spoolgun if I went with the 275. Any one care to weigh in on my decision?
    Alan
    Last edited by alanf; 06-22-2021 at 02:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Everlast MIG

I keep pouring over the product list and wonder that perhapa the 251si should be on my short list. It has non synergic single pulse like the 275p, and also does dc stick. Does the 251 give up much compared to the 253dpi or 275p?

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter
    Post Thanks / Like

if you want pulse and aren't a hard core pulse expert, don't consider anything but the 253dpi. The 275p and 251 are doable for steel and stainless if you are experienced, but it is not recommended for aluminum pulse.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, if you are not an expert I recommend using the 253dpi, when I was a beginner I didn't understand why it didn't work for me. Later I understood that the dpi chosen was not correct.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist