+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extension cord for a MIG Gun (Not the machine power cord, just the gun)

Post Thanks / Like

Extension cord for a MIG Gun (Not the machine power cord, just the gun)

Hey guys, has anyone ever seen an “extension cord” for a MIG gun? I am building a steel frame barn, and it would really help to have a longer MIG gun cable. My current gun has a 15 foot cable. I would really like a 25 foot, or even 30 foot long gun cable. My current gun is a Miller GA-21, and the machine is a Miller 200. I have a Spool gun for it with a 20 foot cord, and it functions great, but is heavy and awkward sometimes. A 25 foot+ whip on a standard MIG gun would be a great help. I am running .035” ER70s-6 wire for this project.

I would also like to say this is an awesome site! a lot of great knowledge is shared here.
    Geoff

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Extension cord for a MIG Gun (Not the machine power cord, just the gun)

You can get longer Mig gun assemblies BUT if you're using small wire like .035" you will have nothing but problems. No different than trying to run .023" wire in a 15' gun, you're asking for trouble. It would also be more of a load on the wire feed motor and is only a 2 drive roll system. Best bet is to put the machine on a cart with big tires you can roll in place easily. Use an engine crane or some other type of hoist if you need to weld higher up. Spool gun could be an option too for hard to reach area's.

3. Likes Oscar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    You can get longer Mig gun assemblies BUT if you're using small wire like .035" you will have nothing but problems. No different than trying to run .023" wire in a 15' gun, you're asking for trouble. It would also be more of a load on the wire feed motor and is only a 2 drive roll system. Best bet is to put the machine on a cart with big tires you can roll in place easily. Use an engine crane or some other type of hoist if you need to weld higher up. Spool gun could be an option too for hard to reach area's.
    Yup, two main reasons are: increased drag between the wire and steel liner will cause feeding issues, especially if the drive motor system is marginal when new, and especially worse when its already worn out. 2nd is the added length of the MIG gun cable assembly will result in a little bit of a voltage drop and loss of WFS a smidge. That's not too much of a problem because you can typically bump up the voltage, but the feeding issues are definitely something that will wreak havoc. I have 6-meter/20ft MIG guns on my MIGs but I had some custom-made carbon-graphite liners, which AFAICT has the lowest drag-coefficient of any liner, and thus is real slick to minimize the internal drag in order to not place too much of an extra load on the drive motor system. The downfall is that it won't last as long as a steel liner, since sharp edges (like when you first feed the wire through it) can easily gouge it. I have to take extra care to "round" the end of the wire if I switch wires before I insert it into the liner. So yea it can be done, but it's not for everyone (nor every machine).

These are my "anacondas". I am waiting on permission to offer these as for-sale products, but have heard nothing yet for the past 4-5 months. I'm sure they would benefit some people. I'm still crossing my fingers.

Last edited by Oscar; 06-23-2021 at 07:03 PM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

This type of intended use is exactly the reason they make suitcase feeders. Stick would be my choice for welding on a building as wind is an issue along with needing extra length.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had 25ft Tweco it was ok.
    I switched back to 15 foot gun it gave a smooth weld.
    The 25foot had lay just right to must of a pain to weld.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ToolFanGeoff View Post
    Hey guys, has anyone ever seen an “extension cord” for a MIG gun? I am building a steel frame barn, and it would really help to have a longer MIG gun cable. My current gun has a 15 foot cable. I would really like a 25 foot, or even 30 foot long gun cable. My current gun is a Miller GA-21, and the machine is a Miller 200. I have a Spool gun for it with a 20 foot cord, and it functions great, but is heavy and awkward sometimes. A 25 foot+ whip on a standard MIG gun would be a great help. I am running .035” ER70s-6 wire for this project.

I would also like to say this is an awesome site! a lot of great knowledge is shared here.
    Geoff

Post Thanks / Like

As a general rule the longer MIG whips are used with wire feeds that have a 4-roll drive setup. As nice as a MM200 welds, I don't think the drive system is up to a 25+ft whip. You'd almost certainly have to keep it laid out really straight which would probably defeat the purpose for the kind of work it sounds like you're going to be doing.

I would be really, really hesitate to MIG weld anything on a building that was remotely load-bearing or critical. You might want to look into dual-shield wire if you're set on a wire feed process.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at Cobra push/pull guns.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys for the excellent input. I was hoping to hear about a magic extension with a special liner, but the real answer is not so easy. For now i will continue to use my spool gun. Walker, your suggestion is great, I would love to have a push pull gun. G-Man, This is a horse barn / hay barn (I should have been more clear). I am an Engineer, designing for load is what I do (my real job). I appreciate the concern though. MJD, again, a great suggestion on the suitcase.
    Maybe I will pull the trigger on a Millermatic 255 with pulse, and a 25ft push pull gun. Just have to convince myself to part with the money - I am a hobbyist like Oscar.
    Geoff

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of $$$ to get into a push pull gun and you need the right machine to hook it up to. A suitcase feeder is also a chunk of money. I didn't think the OP was looking at a new machine or wire feeder. He was wondering what he could do with his MM200.

Post Thanks / Like

Welder Dave, I am the original poster. Thank you for jumping in. You are correct, I was looking for something to make my MM200 do something it can't. The guys who replied to my post all offered good advice from their experience, and I really appreciate it. This is so refreshingly different than so many forums where people are quick to be negative - especially to a new guy. I enjoy welding. I am fortunate enough to have a Miller Spoolmatic 1 that is a plug and play for my MM200. It works great, I weld both aluminum and steel with it. The leads are almost long enough for my stall construction, but it can be heavy and awkward working on a ladder. I am hesitant to buy a push pull gun for my MM200. I am a hobby welder on a tiny ranch. I have O/A, AC/DC TIG, a couple of plasma cutters, dry saw. I would like to invest in a new technology machine and a new Miller push pull gun - it is just a lot of money.
    Geoff

Post Thanks / Like

My last weld shop used 250 pound 10 foot jib below the crane , that was was only for wire feeder with a low cost hoist Harbor Frieght.
    I only use wire in 60 pounds coils and made easy to reload the wire feed.

This gave a 25 foot diameter reached for welding and a smooth feed. We also found in pinch by lowering the hoist and pulling on feed a 35 foot diameter reach 😀.

I did keep the wheels on wire feeder so roll around shop.
    The welder had 100 foot of cord and did come in handy too for odd jobs.

Dave

Welder Dave, I am the original poster. Thank you for jumping in. You are correct, I was looking for something to make my MM200 do something it can't. The guys who replied to my post all offered good advice from their experience, and I really appreciate it. This is so refreshingly different than so many forums where people are quick to be negative - especially to a new guy. I enjoy welding. I am fortunate enough to have a Miller Spoolmatic 1 that is a plug and play for my MM200. It works great, I weld both aluminum and steel with it. The leads are almost long enough for my stall construction, but it can be heavy and awkward working on a ladder. I am hesitant to buy a push pull gun for my MM200. I am a hobby welder on a tiny ranch. I have O/A, AC/DC TIG, a couple of plasma cutters, dry saw. I would like to invest in a new technology machine and a new Miller push pull gun - it is just a lot of money.
    Geoff
    Last edited by smithdoor; 06-25-2021 at 12:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

That is where a 120V Mig welder comes in handy. I made my weld cart with a lifting lug, I also have a lug on my tractor's front bucket so I can pick it and go anywhere. If I'm real remote, I made a 3-point cart that I can put a generator in. I have a Hobart 135 that runs off 120V.

If you have a tractor you could even set the cart in the loader.

Post Thanks / Like

120/240 volt machines can be the same size as 120 volt machines but that is irrelevant to what the OP is asking. There is a risk using a front end loader to pick up and hold a machine in the air. It could be OK if a brace was used to prevent the loader and/or bucket from falling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KenO View Post
    That is where a 120V Mig welder comes in handy. I made my weld cart with a lifting lug, I also have a lug on my tractor's front bucket so I can pick it and go anywhere. If I'm real remote, I made a 3-point cart that I can put a generator in. I have a Hobart 135 that runs off 120V.

If you have a tractor you could even set the cart in the loader.
    Using a MIG to weld anything remotely structural isn't a great idea....using a 120V MIG is even worse.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

16. Likes Welder Dave, Dave66 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    Using a MIG to weld anything remotely structural isn't a great idea....using a 120V MIG is even worse.
    If it was a commercial job short circuit Mig isn't generally allowed for structural. However I saw a union shop doing downhill 7018 on platform railings for a roller coaster. That's not acceptable by any code. The same idiots tried to save us time welding new brackets for magnetic brakes on the bigger roller coaster. They had them all level and squared to the world instead of making sure they were in the proper position for the plates on the coaster cars. We had to cut them all off and refit them. 3 tons of roller coaster cars and the special alloy plates for the brakes only have about a 1/2" gap to go through. The gap also had to be equal on either side. Forget what the level says fit the brackets to the cars. So much for a union shop being any better.

18. Likes G-ManBart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree
    When I had my shop the largest welder 750 amp.
    It was high production machine.
    A 120 volt just is to small.

All wire feeders was Miller 30E and could run 300 pound drum. But I only used 60 pound coils by time you coil and feeder it was heavy.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post

Post Thanks / Like

I have all 15 foot guns on all my mugs except for the 25' push pull guns.

On order for my passport plus's to run a 15' gun, I had to change to a knurled drive roll. After I did that, it welded just fine. Most times in the field a 12' gun just isnt possible. I do a lot of hanging off a scissor or boom lift welding.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, I just wanted to thank everyone one more time for all of the great input. For now i am going to continue to work using my spool gun.
    Thanks again,
    Geoff

Post Thanks / Like

Rent a crane/hang a hoist/etc and take to box to the welding, of course, then you need a good lead for the welder.

Post Thanks / Like

Could you possible send me a picture of the connections on your m-21 gun and cable assembly . I am trying to find a gun that will hook up to and old hobart engine driven welder . Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

It shows some sense to use what he has now and this project will be over. If it was me doing it would invest in a lunchbox dvi. Stick weld. Would get 25 ft extra lead with connectors for the stinger.

Post Thanks / Like

Roen0202jake, I will get some pictures for you - it may be a day or two. The gun is a GA-21 and the connection is a 4 pin if I remember correctly.
    As an update to my thread:
    I ended up buying a Millermatic 255 and a 25 foot XR Alumapro push pull gun for my hay barn project. I have used the push pull for both steel and aluminum, I bought extra liners and consumables (so I don't mix steel and aluminum wire in the push pull). The Millermatic 255 with pulse is fantastic. I use 90/10 gas for steel, and have been really enjoying the pulse spray. It gives a great weld on .093" steel. I bring this up, because I was surprised at how good the pulse spray is on thin steel as most people refer to spray as a thicker steel process.
    I run pulse spray on aluminum with the 255 with 100% argon and it does an equally great job. I just finished a fun hay cart project, 6061 .125 wall square tube, and the MM255 with the push pull gun is very quick. I enjoy TIG welding, and have an awesome TIG welder, but for laying down a lot of inches of weld, MIG was faster and easier.
    I still have the Millermatic 200 (I have owned it for more than 30 years). It still welds really well - short circuit with 75/25 gas.
    Geoff

Post Thanks / Like

Geoff
    Do yourself a favor and save yourself some aggravation and stick weld it. Use 7018. Just my opinion there but hey I only been doin it 50 years or so

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    I agree
    When I had my shop the largest welder 750 amp.
    It was high production machine.
    A 120 volt just is to small.

All wire feeders was Miller 30E and could run 300 pound drum. But I only used 60 pound coils by time you coil and feeder it was heavy.

Dave
    I gotta ask... what the he!! would you use a 750 amp machine for?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by old miner called Pop View Post
    Do yourself a favor and save yourself some aggravation and stick weld it. Use 7018. Just my opinion there but hey I only been doin it 50 years or so
    the OP might not be proficient at stick welding! a lot of mig welders aren't.
    lincoln 125sp
    dayton 250 ac/dc
    miller 211 w/spool gun
    ahp 200 sx tig
    lotos ltp5000d
    kubota b3200 FEL BH
    of course duramax diesel

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist