+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with price please

Post Thanks / Like

Help with price please

I need help pricing this type of work. Potentially 200-300 plates like this per week. All of the material is provided, welding studs and plate. The plates will have to be cut and the studs welded to it. Mig
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Stateline Welder; 06-25-2021 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Need to add picture

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with price please

I'd figure out an hourly rate and then try to average how many you can do in a hour if your customer wants a firmer price. If you had a shop rate maybe deduct 30-40% off for the materials being supplied. If you had a shop rate around $120/hr. maybe charge around $75 to $80/hr. Nice welds by the way. Looks like they are for reinforcing/holding concrete together. Better than the questionable welds on the bridge that collapsed.

Post Thanks / Like

Add in some quality control / testing. And fixture fabrication. Once you are rolling it will go fast. So price it per plate then work as fast or slow as needed.

Any prep on those studs?

Hard wire Mig would not be my choice for this job. Do some testing. That might influence pricing.

Post Thanks / Like

The welds look to be run fairly hot showing good fusion. The nice thing with using Mig is you can do a complete donut weld without having to worry about slag when you come to the end. One continuous weld is much faster too. I did thousands of donut welds with 7018 welding ladder rungs for oilfield tanks and the slag from the start could pose problems. If strength is a big concern, you could always drill holes in the plate and plug weld the back side. I think the studs would bend over before breaking looking at the welds shown. It looks like it could be a pretty monotonous job but a job is a job and there's much worse jobs.
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 06-25-2021 at 05:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

r u sure mig? i think i still have a couple just like laying around my yard. a stud welder was used. if so, a welder couldnt compete w/ a stud welder

Post Thanks / Like

Yes definitely mig. Yes a stud welder would be much faster, although it isn’t in the budget just yet😀. With plates cut and pre-marked it takes 2 min to weld. Will different regions have an influence on prices? I’m in Alabama/Georgia if anyone thinks location will have a price per hour variance. Thanks for all the help👌🏻

Post Thanks / Like

You need to consider cleaning the weld points for MIG. Picture doesn’t seem to show any shiny metal. That could take as much time as welding.

If you do not intend to grind mill scale, I would want that in contract or you could be left holding a lot of fixtures.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 140

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

Post Thanks / Like

Do you know what they are for? If they are just wall plates, mig weld them. If they are structural plates, I would dual shield mig them.

But that cant be more then $20 if your doing 250 of them. So $4 each weld and $4 for the shears.

I would make a top plate with 4 pieces of small pipe welded to it as locators.

Around here, Mexicans would do that with stick welding for $5 a plate.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'd offer to do that for $20 each plate. Looks like easy money!
    We've done so much, for so long, with so little. Were now qualified to do anything with nothing !

Post Thanks / Like

The welds look pretty good to me. Even using a stud welder you can have problems with the welds. Look at thread where the bridge collapsed. I'd do a test plate to see how strong the welds are. I'd bet you could pound the crap out of them and the weld would hold. Simple enough to test a few of them.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist