Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Grinding Disc For 4 1/2” Angle Grinders ?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Favorite Grinding Disc For 4 1/2” Angle Grinders ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Rear handle ? You mean a rat-tail type body? Or?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yup. Rat tail

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'd rather have the slide switch than the paddle one that can be accidently activated setting it down on a wrench or something...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post
    I've personally never understood the idea of having a seperate grinder for each type of wheel, it takes longer to swap the grinder over than it does to change to a different wheel anyway.

I have 3 grinders.

a 720 watt 5" bosch for tight spaces as it has a very small and handy body.

A 1700 watt 5 inch Metabo for the heavy duty grinding that doesn't warrant something bigger

A 2200 watt Makita 9 inch for the really heavy jobs or where I need the depth of cut
    Not really, use a triple tap cord end. Problem is that multiple cords get tangled amongst themselves, welding leads, torch hose and anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I think I'd rather have the slide switch than the paddle one that can be accidently activated setting it down on a wrench or something...
    I think all the newer grinders with a paddle switch have a safety that has to be flipped up before the paddle will work. I've seen too many slide switches fail to stay engaged. Worked at a shop years ago that used Walter (Metabo) 7" grinders that had a paddle switch the width of the handle with no safety latch. A guy working inside a large tank had to be rushed to the hospital because the grinder bit him hard in the stomach. He, unknowingly at the time, put the grinder down on a wood handle wire brush. This caused the grinder to instantly start up and spun right into his stomach. Dead man switch is the appropriate name for that style of switch on a grinder. That was back in the day before wheel guards were required or even offered for grinders. He was OK. I think it was one of the foreman or a lead hand that took him to the hospital. They didn't want to wait for an ambulance. Easily could have happened to anyone else in the shop.
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 06-27-2021 at 09:21 PM.

5. Likes whtbaron, Jonath108 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All my grinders have the paddle switch with a toggle underneath the switch that has to be forced down to operate. Much like some air powered die grinders.

You will truly appreciate a paddle switch when your grinder gets away from you. Instant off..........no chasing it around trying to unplug it before it eats a hole in your leg. Slide switches are very dangerous IMHO.

7. Likes Welder Dave, Jonath108 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had one get away with a cup brush attached. It ran across the ground like it was alive. Those slide switches are widow makers.

9. Likes whtbaron, Welder Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I had one get away with a cup brush attached. It ran across the ground like it was alive. Those slide switches are widow makers.
    That reminds me of one the funniest stories I ever heard. A guy rented a drum sander to redo the hard floors in his house. Got it in the house and it wouldn't turn on. He and a helper tried a few different things and still couldn't get it to run. They took it back outside and were going to load it back in the truck. Before they loaded it, the guy wondered if maybe the electrical plug in the house was bad. Not wanting to move it back in the house if it didn't work, they plugged it in to an extension cord and then plugged it into a different outlet on the house...

"There is nothing that accelerates faster down the street than a Clark drum sander!" The switch was left on and it took off when they plugged it in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post
    I've personally never understood the idea of having a seperate grinder for each type of wheel, it takes longer to swap the grinder over than it does to change to a different wheel anyway.

I have 3 grinders.

a 720 watt 5" bosch for tight spaces as it has a very small and handy body.

A 1700 watt 5 inch Metabo for the heavy duty grinding that doesn't warrant something bigger

A 2200 watt Makita 9 inch for the really heavy jobs or where I need the depth of cut
    It doesn't happen often, but on a big job (like when I was shaping chunks of railroad into anvils) I like to have 2 or 3 grinders handy so I can keep switching rather than have them get really hot. I find they last a lot longer that way. Of course the rest of the time it's just handier to have one with the wire cup, one with the thick disc, one with the thin disc....
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Like others have said, for at least the last 25 years paddle switch girders have a safer tab so the switch can’t engage by setting it down.

Based on personal experience, I will never own a slide on switch grinder as I am thankful for the paddle switch when I was cutting a fence rail and the grinder jumped and grabbed a finger on my other hand I was holding onto the rail with and jammed my finger between the cutting wheel and edge of the guard. That immediate shut off left me with a scar not a nub.

Name:  2EB665AB-7534-45A5-94E6-AEB4D3C36D36.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  40.8 KB

Beyond that my welding instructor, who was a former iron worker, told us a couple stories involving slide on grinders being left on and running away across the job side to the end of the cord extension . Both cases involved losing power and the guys putting the grinder down forgetting to turn it off. One case was a generator ran out of gas, the other was other workers playing a prank around the corner and unplugging the extension cord.
    The moral of the story is plenty of unexpected things can happen and it is human nature to focus on the bigger issue not the grinder on/off switch.

I will also allow that many manufacturers go for cheap and easy and very poorly implement 2-stage switches that you have to practically be a contortionist to operate and hurt to hold on for any period of time. Paddle switch’s grinders aren’t the case though.
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 211
    Lincoln X-Tractor 1GC
    Hypertherm Powermax 1000

13. Likes Jonath108, driz, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a timely thread, as I needed some new 4-1/2" grinding disks. I've ordered some of the 3M Cubitron II's to try, and will pick up some Weldcote from my LWS.

Thanks all for the great advice.

Scott
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    This is a timely thread, as I needed some new 4-1/2" grinding disks. I've ordered some of the 3M Cubitron II's to try, and will pick up some Weldcote from my LWS.

Thanks all for the great advice.

Scott
    Let us know how you like the 3M Cubitron II's. I have only used them on the belt grinder.

:

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, looks like those Cubitron II wheels are about 10X if not 15X the price of Sait or Metabo at LVA ... are they 10X as good?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    Wow, looks like those Cubitron II wheels are about 10X if not 15X the price of Sait or Metabo at LVA ... are they 10X as good?
    You're probably window-shopping at the wrong place/site. And yes, they are absolute BEASTS. I have one on my 3M 1.5HP air grinder that actually spins at the much-needed 12,000 RPMs, and g-damn it's awesome!
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

18. Likes Kelvin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can get Cubitron wheels at a reasonable price and in small quantities on Ebay.
    Millermatic 255
    Dynasty 280 DX
    Ready Welder I
    Hypertherm 30XP

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of differences between grinding wheels and like most things, you usually get what you pay for but need to compare the same level of grinding wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

After hearing about the cubitron wheels about a year ago on here, i decided to bite the bullet and get some , i sure was not disappointed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timberjack View Post
    After hearing about the cubitron wheels about a year ago on here, i decided to bite the bullet and get some , i sure was not disappointed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Even though Cubitron II are excellent, I was browsing around and saw Pearl has a Ceramic-Aluminum Oxide grinding disc that appears to be their top offering. I might be tempted to check it out.

24. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    Dug around a little on Amazon.Ca and found these 4"x 1/4 in packs of 10 for $6 Cdn each (60.28 for the pack of 10 with free shipping).... not horrible. South of the border you should be able to do better. https://www.amazon.ca/3M-Cubitron-De...7RX8KZ82&psc=1
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Dug around a little on Amazon.Ca and found these 4"x 1/4 in packs of 10 for $6 Cdn each (60.28 for the pack of 10 with free shipping).... not horrible. South of the border you should be able to do better. https://www.amazon.ca/3M-Cubitron-De...7RX8KZ82&psc=1
    Definitely "not horrible".

I've said that to myself on occasion but never concerning grind wheels...

:

27. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Those are for the smaller grinders, need to spin closer to 15,000 RPMs to work the same as 4½" discs, which is kinda difficult to find a 4" grinder that can spin that fast.. The 4.5's are closer to $8-9 or so each.

29. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok... wondered why the strange size. I seem to be able to find 4" or 5"... not much in the way of 4.5". Any thoughts on the 3M silver discs? https://www.amazon.ca/3M-Silver-Depr...7822W1W5&psc=1
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

These ones max out at 13,300 rpm and are 9.14 ea. https://www.amazon.ca/3M-Cubitron-De...TlKWDlPSDY1WjV
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

These ones max out at 13,300 rpm and are 9.14 ea. https://www.amazon.ca/3M-Cubitron-De...TlKWDlPSDY1WjV
    Bingo those are the ones. Most 4.5" grinders spin at 11,000 RPMs anyways, the better ones are 12,000 RPMs.

33. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are paying $8 to $9 US and I can find them for $9.14 Cdn. thats not a bad deal then. Ever try the silver discs?
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les