Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: what brands sell Dual shield wire in .035

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    729
    Post Thanks / Like

    what brands sell Dual shield wire in .035

    I've spent most of today trying to find dual shield wire for low carbon steel in .035, the only brand I've found is Blue Demon, and even then I've only been able to find it on ebay.

    Anyone know of brands that produce dual shield in .035 diameter that is fairly readily available to purchase?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Cave Creek AZ
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what brands sell Dual shield wire in .035

    ESAB. ESAB is the only brand that sells Dual Shield wire. I just googled it, Airgas has a 33 pounder for $235

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    729
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what brands sell Dual shield wire in .035

    Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    ESAB. ESAB is the only brand that sells Dual Shield wire. I just googled it, Airgas has a 33 pounder for $235
    okay yes technically you are right, "dual shield" is ESAB's trademark name for gas shielded flux core, lincoln's is "outershield", however I think you'd probably also know that most of us call all gas shielded flux core dual shield, the same as most brits call every vacuum cleaner a "hoover"

    So let me rephrase, anyone know of other gas shielded flux core wire in .035 that's readily available.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    4,391
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what brands sell Dual shield wire in .035


  5. Likes ttoks liked this post
  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    pekin, IL
    Posts
    52
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what brands sell Dual shield wire in .035

    From what I've read, "dual-sheld" wire is a wire that needs gas to allow for better deposition rates and is used for thicker applications. Regular flux core wire has chemicals that react with oxygen and help clean the base material so using a shielding gas with those types of wire would be detrimental.

    That being said, Forney offers a flux core GS single pass wire that can use c25 to reduce spatter. I do not know how readily available it is though.

    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Laredo, Tx
    Posts
    5,803
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what brands sell Dual shield wire in .035

    HTP sells it in 035.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!



  8. Likes ttoks liked this post
  9. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,768
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what brands sell Dual shield wire in .035

    Hobart has it in 33lb spools as does Esab. Esab's website is kind of wonky but found it at Airgas.

    https://www.hobartbrothers.com/wp-co...xcel_Arc71.pdf

    https://www.airgas.com/product/Weldi...p/ESA248000622

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,768
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what brands sell Dual shield wire in .035

    Quote Originally Posted by bplayer405 View Post
    From what I've read, "dual-sheld" wire is a wire that needs gas to allow for better deposition rates and is used for thicker applications. Regular flux core wire has chemicals that react with oxygen and help clean the base material so using a shielding gas with those types of wire would be detrimental.

    That being said, Forney offers a flux core GS single pass wire that can use c25 to reduce spatter. I do not know how readily available it is though.

    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

    What do you mean by regular flux-core, self-shielded? There are self-shielded flux-core wires with very high deposition rates. Forney may have some decent products but generally any wire with a GS in the description, the GS stands for generally s-itty. GS wires don't have to meet any AWS specifications.
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 06-27-2021 at 10:07 PM.

  11. Likes angelo c liked this post
  12. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    pekin, IL
    Posts
    52
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what brands sell Dual shield wire in .035

    Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    What do you mean by regular flux-core, self-shielded? There are self-shielded flux-core wires will very high deposition rates. Forney may have some decent products but generally any wire with a GS in the description, the GS stands for generally s-itty. GS wires don't have to meet any AWS specifications.
    From what I understood, your typical Hobart E71T-11 or Lincoln NR211-MP found at the box stores won't weld properly in the absence of oxygen (shielded with gas). I have personally never tried to use either with a shielding gas to know the difference, just going by what I've researched. I believe neither descriptions of these wires suggest the use of a shielding gas. I have used both without shielding gas with good results. I would have to defer to anyone in the industry because my experience is quite limited.

    I also understand the GS designation for wire to be for whoever doesn't want to go through the rigorous testing ($) to get a full classification. I'm just a hobbyist and won't trust this class of wire to use again. I got a sample spool of GS wire with a welder and it was single pass. I made a mess trying to weld exhaust with it because it simply would not take a weld to a previous weld.

    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    2,822
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what brands sell Dual shield wire in .035

    I use Blue Demon it welds very good. The best part is price.
    I use E71T-11 0.030" in 10 pounds.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post
    I've spent most of today trying to find dual shield wire for low carbon steel in .035, the only brand I've found is Blue Demon, and even then I've only been able to find it on ebay.

    Anyone know of brands that produce dual shield in .035 diameter that is fairly readily available to purchase?
    Last edited by smithdoor; 06-27-2021 at 10:27 PM.

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Laredo, Tx
    Posts
    5,803
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what brands sell Dual shield wire in .035

    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    I use Blue Demon it welds very good. The best part is price.
    I use E71T-11 0.030" in 10 pounds.

    Dave

    That's not a gas-shielded flux core wire though and the wrong diameter. The OP is looking for FCAW-G in 0.035" specifically. Blue Demon does make some though.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!



  15. Likes ttoks liked this post
  16. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    729
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what brands sell Dual shield wire in .035

    I'm still having no luck, ESAB sell's they're dual shield 7100 ultra in .035 in my country, but only in a 33 lb spool (i need it in a 10 or 11 lb spool), lincoln make they're outershield 71M in .035 in a 10 lb spool, but they're don't distribute it in my country, same problem with the blue demon E71T-1C, they make it in .035 in an 11 LB spool, but can't get it in my country.

    I was hoping that perhaps another brand I wasn't aware of made it, but it seems its just lincoln, ESAB and blue demon.
    Last edited by ttoks; 06-28-2021 at 04:07 AM.

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    729
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what brands sell Dual shield wire in .035

    Well I ended up settling on buying some .035 and .030 E71T-1 gas shielded wire and having it sent over from the U.S from https://www.weldingcity.com/, price for the wire itself I'd say is pretty good, works out to be able $50 AUD for a 10lb roll which isn't really that much more than what I pay for .035 ER70S-6 solid wire here, and cheaper than I pay for E71-11 self shield (and half the price of .035 lincoln NR211MP here in Aus at $110 for 10 lb)

    But the shipping for 4 rolls (40 lb) of wire was $180 lol, still only ended up being $9 per pound with shipping which is about what i'd pay locally for .045 gas shield, albeit for a name brand like lincoln 71M or ESAB 7100 ULTRA.

  18. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    NW New Jersey
    Posts
    853
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what brands sell Dual shield wire in .035

    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    That's not a gas-shielded flux core wire though and the wrong diameter. The OP is looking for FCAW-G in 0.035" specifically. Blue Demon does make some though.
    I have used about a dozen 10 lbs spools of the Blue demon gas shielded flux core (not the smoky gasless stuff), and it has run very well. Used on structural stuff like Big machine mounting flanges, gantries, log splitters, fork truck extensions, dock bumpers. Can be run on portable machine, and a small bottle of gas. Using a 5lb CO2 bottle is great for portability, and fairly cheap too. My only problem is keeping it from rusting if I don't use it all up. I hate to throw away a quarter roll, but if its rusty it will cause bubbles/wormtracks. I've also had it come unspooled, and upon rewinding it runs funny some times. No fault of the wire though.

    I have also used a welders choice (house brand at MSC supply company) in .045 on my 200 amp mig with no problems , just limited in what you can do

    No Hyundai, kobelco, or beta wire seems be available in less than 15kg spools a QWS. Hobart only seems to have one wire in 035, and its 33lb roll.

    If you wind up using it frequently you might want to respool it yourself.

    Cheers
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D

  19. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,768
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what brands sell Dual shield wire in .035

    Quote Originally Posted by bplayer405 View Post
    From what I understood, your typical Hobart E71T-11 or Lincoln NR211-MP found at the box stores won't weld properly in the absence of oxygen (shielded with gas). I have personally never tried to use either with a shielding gas to know the difference, just going by what I've researched. I believe neither descriptions of these wires suggest the use of a shielding gas. I have used both without shielding gas with good results. I would have to defer to anyone in the industry because my experience is quite limited.

    I also understand the GS designation for wire to be for whoever doesn't want to go through the rigorous testing ($) to get a full classification. I'm just a hobbyist and won't trust this class of wire to use again. I got a sample spool of GS wire with a welder and it was single pass. I made a mess trying to weld exhaust with it because it simply would not take a weld to a previous weld.

    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    E71-T11 was never designed to use an external shielding gas. All the shielding is accomplished solely by the flux in the wire. There's a reason it has so much smoke. Wouldn't want to use it in closed garage or cramped space.

  20. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    NW New Jersey
    Posts
    853
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what brands sell Dual shield wire in .035

    InnerShield = Outside Outershield = Inside

    It reminds me of a George Carlin bit, maybe.

    "Why do people park in Driveways, and drive on Parkways ? "
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D

  21. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,768
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what brands sell Dual shield wire in .035

    Why does electricity(DC) flow from - to + instead of + to -? So many questions????

  22. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Laredo, Tx
    Posts
    5,803
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what brands sell Dual shield wire in .035

    Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Why does electricity(DC) flow from - to + instead of + to -? So many questions????
    Nothing really wrong with his question. Perfectly in-line with the main purpose of this forum, ain't it?
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!



  23. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    central Wis.
    Posts
    5,794
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what brands sell Dual shield wire in .035

    The better question would be if your south of the equator why doesn't it flow positive to negative.

  24. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    53
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what brands sell Dual shield wire in .035

    Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Why does electricity(DC) flow from - to + instead of + to -? So many questions????
    Electrons do that because they are attracted to a positive charge. Positrons go the other way - in fact, I think resistance is caused by the electrons and positrons trying to get past each other.

    Helpfully,
    Jack

  25. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    729
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what brands sell Dual shield wire in .035

    Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    The better question would be if your south of the equator why doesn't it flow positive to negative.
    how do you know it doesn't? everything else is backwards down here.

  26. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    central Wis.
    Posts
    5,794
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what brands sell Dual shield wire in .035

    Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post
    how do you know it doesn't? everything else is backwards down here.
    I don't know but I have heard that water spirals the opposite direction when going down the drain.

  27. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,768
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what brands sell Dual shield wire in .035

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Ryan View Post
    Electrons do that because they are attracted to a positive charge. Positrons go the other way - in fact, I think resistance is caused by the electrons and positrons trying to get past each other.

    Helpfully,
    Jack
    It was a rhetorical question in response the previous post. All I know for sure is when you get shocked, wondering which way the current is flowing is the last thing on your mind.

  28. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    160
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what brands sell Dual shield wire in .035

    kiswel makes a .035 dual sheild. was readily available on amazon when i got some 6mon ago. ine also has some dual sheild
    invertig 221 water cooled
    millermatic 211
    hypertherm powermax 30xp

  29. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: what brands sell Dual shield wire in .035

    I'm currently using Hobart's 0.035 Excel Arc 71 gas shielded flux core.
    Prior to using it, I've read/heard people describing it as "butter" smooth.
    Can confirm - buttery-smooth and fun to weld with.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,632,412,286.82147 seconds with 12 queries