+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cigweld cutskill 60 amp plasma cutter

Post Thanks / Like

Cigweld cutskill 60 amp plasma cutter

Could not find any videos reviews or anything on the Cigweld 60 amp single phase plasma cutter, so I recommended a friend who was looking for a plasma cutter to buy one. Then I tried it out and bought my own I was that impressed.

Here is a short video I made of it severing 40mm thick steel out of a 60 amp single phase machine.

2. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cigweld cutskill 60 amp plasma cutter

Cut Skill is the name Esab uses for lower end products or products made overseas. Wonder if Cigweld sources them from Esab's parent company? One of things to look at with plasma torches is consumable life and availability.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Cut Skill is the name Esab uses for lower end products or products made overseas. Wonder if Cigweld sources them from Esab's parent company? One of things to look at with plasma torches is consumable life and availability.
    Cigweld is an ESAB company and yes, Cigweld machines are the lower tier as marketed in Australia.

I have both Cigweld and ESAB branded machines including a CutSkil 60 and I have no complaints.

Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Where did you buy the machine? Seems Like they are only available in Australia.
    Not too many 60 amp machines will cut 40mm?

Post Thanks / Like

Did you really you recommend your buddy buy
    a certain plasma cutter so you could try it ?
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpump5 View Post
    Did you really you recommend your buddy buy
    a certain plasma cutter so you could try it ?
    Why of course.

Actually what happened was he has a heap of railway line to cut up and was considering buying a demolition saw. Then I suggested a plasma cutter after he said how much the cutting discs cost and you only get three cuts out of a disc. So I bought out my Razorcut45 plasma cutter to show him and did some demo cuts and it was not quite up to the task on the line but he saw how good the process would be. I suggested the Cigweld 60 amp machine. Which he bought and is very happy with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    I'll see if I can get the facts right going from long term memory.
    Back in the dark ages, the main manufacturer and supplier of gases in oz was CIG (Commonwealth Industrial Gases). They also manufactured quality welding equipment (Transarc, Transmig, Transtig etc) and quality welding consumables all in oz.
    Then some bright spark split the company in two, selling the gas side of the business to BOC (English giant), leaving it as an equipment and consumables supplier. It also changed hands a couple times, Victor, Thermodyne, before being acquired by Esab. Also adopted the name CigWeld in the meantime. Still supply consumables but I don't know where they're made now. Their power sources come from china now. They have low end power sources under the CigWeld label ( branded weldskill, cutskill etc) and excellent high end power sources using the old TransTig etc names. I have used one a couple years ago, very good but very expensive. More than Miller so why would you buy one?

Here endeth the history lesson.
    Last edited by Woznme; 06-30-2021 at 05:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woznme View Post
    I'll see if I can get the facts right going from long term memory.
    It [CigWeld] also changed hands a couple times, Victor, Thermodyne, before being acquired by Esab.
    I think Victor is still part of the same group. In the US, Victor "pea-shooter" type flow meters are supplied with (at least some) ESAB machines. In Australia we get the CIG gauge type - to me, that means the first thing I have to replace is the flow meter.

I think it was Thermadyne (not Thermodyne) which also owned Victor.

Thanks for reminding me of the two different Cigweld tiers.

Jack

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist