+ Reply to Thread

Thread: '79 Blackface SA 200 Engine Valves

Post Thanks / Like

'79 Blackface SA 200 Engine Valves

Had a question about adjusting valves on SA200 and saw a video from BWParts ( ) on doing the adjustment but had a question. From what I saw in the video you can adjust the valves on Cylinder 4 when Cylinder 1 is at TDC and adjust 1 when 4 is TDC, same for Cylinder 2 when Cylinder 3 is TDC if I understand all this correctly. Correct me if I am wrong because I am not a mechanic but I have a toolbox of wrenches I use all the time.

My question is, do you adjust both intake and exhaust at the same time for Cylinder 4 when Cylinder 1 is TDC or do you adjust all intake first and then adjust exhaust valves second using the same process outlined above. I have a vacuum\fuel pump gauge attached on Cylinder 1 and have it at TDC at the current moment. Head is not off of the engine, only the vacuum gauge is attached.

.012 clearance on intake
    .020 clearance on exhaust

If I ever get this first SA200 painted and rebuilt, my goal is to find myself a Redface and rebuild it as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: '79 Blackface SA 200 Engine Valves

I think I might have figured it out myself. Watched the video a couple of times and I here him make reference to setting "them" meaning intake and exhaust when you have a piston at TDC.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: '79 Blackface SA 200 Engine Valves

All you have to do is watch the the valves when turning the engine over by hand with a hand crank, and remember the firing order 1-3-4-2, this way you can see when both valves close at TDC, and the valve tappets are on the heel of the cam lobes. Make sure that when adjusting the exhaust valve that it has a slightly loose feel because of heat expansion. Always better to have a loose adjustment than a tight adjustment. If to tight, a valve or valve seat can get burnt out, and that goes for any engine.
    SA 200s : 1944 1945 1963 1965 1969
    1981 SA 250 D3.152 DC only
    1961 LincWelder DC 180 AS
    2004 Ranger 10,000
    Lincoln Pro Mig 135
    Miller Load Bank
    Hobart GPB 258 Pipeliner
    Hobart GPB 261 Mainliner
    Hobart Airforce 250
    Everlast PA 200st

4. Likes pipewelder liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist