+ Reply to Thread

Thread: blowing carbon/soot out of a Onan/Cummins

Post Thanks / Like

blowing carbon/soot out of a Onan/Cummins

My Onan/Cummins QD3200 is still puffing some smoke under load so I thought I's see if I can blow some soot out of the muffler and spark arrestor. The manual shows only one plug on the bottom of the muffler but as you can see I have two, anyone know if they are both intended for soot cleanout? (I already removed one plug and as you can see there is some soot accumulation)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: blowing carbon/soot out of a Onan/Cummins

If the engine is in good shape it sounds like you have an over rich fuel problem or an intake restriction.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

If the plug comes out easy, why not take it out? Might be worth putting some Seafoam in the fuel to help loosen carbon and soot deposits.

Post Thanks / Like

Start it up a and run some spray Sea Foam through it. It will clean the valves, piston and muffler Stay up wind as it can get very smoky. Keep the engine well revved up. Instructions are on the spray can.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    If the plug comes out easy, why not take it out? Might be worth putting some Seafoam in the fuel to help loosen carbon and soot deposits.
    It draws fuel from the motorhome tank and I'm not sure I want to put Seafoam in a DPF equipped Sprinter.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
    Start it up a and run some spray Sea Foam through it. It will clean the valves, piston and muffler Stay up wind as it can get very smoky. Keep the engine well revved up. Instructions are on the spray can.
    Won't it runaway?
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    It draws fuel from the motorhome tank and I'm not sure I want to put Seafoam in a DPF equipped Sprinter.
    Exactly. That snake oil will cause more problems than it will ever solve. I would remove the muffler and go at it that way

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    If the engine is in good shape it sounds like you have an over rich fuel problem or an intake restriction.
    Well it only has 190 hours and being 10 years old I don't suppose it was worked very hard. Intake is open, new air filter and new fuel filter. New 15/40 oil. Been working it hard but still puffing a bit when loaded over 50%, maybe the injector is dirty affecting the spray pattern? Has not burned any oil whatsoever in the 10 hours run time I've owned it. Going to pull muffler/spark arrestor plugs (3 in all) and load it up heavy this weekend for a few hours.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the seafoam is a terrible idea, the key is a very controlled quantity at a time, I would use the non aerosol and introduce it through the air intake, another option is to mist water into the intake with it running, used to be pretty common on gas engines. Being a diesel you'll have to control the amount of fuel(seafoam) to prevent runaway.
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 07-01-2021 at 08:34 PM.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    I don't think the seafoam is a terrible idea, the key is a very controlled quantity at a time, I would use the non aerosol and introduce it through the air intake, another option is to mist water into the intake with it running, used to be pretty common on gas engines. Being a diesel you'll have to control the amount of fuel(seafoam) to prevent runaway.
    I remember doing that with my V-8 muscle cars when we still used cubic inches to identify our engines. On my big block Olds I ran methanol mixed with water in a tank under the hood, I guess I was one of the first "meth heads". At 11.25:1 compression I needed it when the octane/lead started going down to prevent detonation.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Diesel generators do not really like running unloaded for extended time, although I can't imagine having any issue after only 10 hours. I typically like to see 80% load or better otherwise it can coke up and/or wet stack. I'd add some plug in electric heaters to get your load up to near 100% and see how it does. Run it hard for about an hour. When Kohler came out and load banked my standby genset I expected some fancy load testing machine. Nope, just a big box fan with a lot of switchable resistance elements. They toggled the elements to reach the 130% peak power maximum. It was kinda nice, middle of the winter, dumping 27kW worth of heat. Everyone was warm and toasty.

I'm not sure about the plugs. I'd pull them and see. Most standy machines have a weep hole that drains any rain that may get in. One year my stack dumped some pretty tar looking soot during high winds/rain. I now make a point to make sure I don't go all year without running the machine hard at least once if the power doesn't go out. Clearly exercising was sooting up everything pretty bad.

12. Likes WenValley, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    Diesel generators do not really like running unloaded for extended time, although I can't imagine having any issue after only 10 hours. I typically like to see 80% load or better otherwise it can coke up and/or wet stack. I'd add some plug in electric heaters to get your load up to near 100% and see how it does. Run it hard for about an hour. When Kohler came out and load banked my standby genset I expected some fancy load testing machine. Nope, just a big box fan with a lot of switchable resistance elements. They toggled the elements to reach the 130% peak power maximum. It was kinda nice, middle of the winter, dumping 27kW worth of heat. Everyone was warm and toasty.

I'm not sure about the plugs. I'd pull them and see. Most standy machines have a weep hole that drains any rain that may get in. One year my stack dumped some pretty tar looking soot during high winds/rain. I now make a point to make sure I don't go all year without running the machine hard at least once if the power doesn't go out. Clearly exercising was sooting up everything pretty bad.
    Thanks, I've only had it for 10 hours and those 10 hours have been run hard. The PO had it for 10 years and 180 hours so I suspect it was not run hard during his ownership.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    Thanks, I've only had it for 10 hours and those 10 hours have been run hard. The PO had it for 10 years and 180 hours so I suspect it was not run hard during his ownership.
    Does it puff black smoke when you power something on that adds a heavy draw, like when your AC cycles on? Or is it puffing on a stable draw? I'd expect it to puff a little when you add a load, kinda like a truck might at the bottom of a hill. It'd put a clamp meter on it and watch the load and smoke.

+1 mla2ofus, I'd check the air filter. My VW diesels drop milage when the filter needs changed. A quick test would be to pull the air filter and see if it improves, unless your in a dusty environment, of course.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist