Thread: Water pump flathead screws

Post Thanks / Like

Water pump flathead screws

Anyone know where you can purchase the 4 - 5/16" -18 large flathead machine screws that are 1/2" long for the Continental F163 back plate on the water pump? Will have to weld a nut on the old ones since they are stripped out and will need replacements. Can't seem to find them anywhere on the net without purchasing a rebuild kit for $90.
    Last edited by pipewelder; 07-04-2021 at 05:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Water pump flathead screws

Try this screw
    https://www.mcmaster.com/92210A578/
    I would use stainless or brass screws for a water pump or any thing to do with water.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by pipewelder View Post
    Anyone know where you can purchase the 4 - 5/16" -18 large flathead machine screws that are 1/2" long for the Continental F163 back plate on the water pump? Will have to weld a nut on the old ones since they are stripped out and will need replacements. Can't seem to find them anywhere on the net without purchasing a rebuild kit for $90.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dave !!!!...That is exactly what I was looking for. Now I just need to remove the old stripped head screws...LOL. Just got some square stock I am going to try and weld on the head of the screw in the pump and see if I can free them upl.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck
    I have had to drill and re-tap as screw was frozen 😒. But I was give after others tried.

Dave

Thanks Dave !!!!...That is exactly what I was looking for. Now I just need to remove the old stripped head screws...LOL. Just got some square stock I am going to try and weld on the head of the screw in the pump and see if I can free them upl.

Post Thanks / Like

I try a impact Screwdriver 1/2" size and use dremel and cutoff blade.

Dave

https://www.harborfreight.com/impact...ase-37530.html

Post Thanks / Like

A little never seize goes a long way.

Post Thanks / Like

I will give the impact driver set a try. I had been using a screwdriver and hammer but I could never really hit it hard enough. I planned on using the permatex anti seize when putting it all back together.

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. It's greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

put nut over screw and plug weld , the heat will loosen

9. Likes 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charlie53843 View Post
    put nut over screw and plug weld , the heat will loosen
    Especially if the screw head is common and not a phillips. Might hose it down with WD as it cools.
    Magazines have issues, everything else has problems

Post Thanks / Like

The 1/2" impact driver takes a 4 pound hammer to work.
    I have a smaller 1/4" impact driver, it uses a 1 pound hammer to work on #10 screws and smaller.
    If I was still working I would buy a 3/8" impact driver too.

Dave

FYI I have used permatex anti seize and it works great.
    I also have permatex nickel anti seize for hot locations temperatures up to 2400F (1316C)

https://www.permatex.com/products/lubricants/specialty-lubricants-anti-seize/permatex-nickel-anti-seize-lubricant/

I will give the impact driver set a try. I had been using a screwdriver and hammer but I could never really hit it hard enough. I planned on using the permatex anti seize when putting it all back together.

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. It's greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by smithdoor; 07-05-2021 at 04:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Vessel megadora impacta are another option as far as hammer driven impact drivers go.

They have a hybrid JIS type grind that really seems to work great not only on true JIS fasteners but regular phillips as well. They are my go to for japanese motorcycle and ATV work, they are magic on carb screws.

Vessel is a very Well known Japanese company that makes some really great, premium tools (most made in Japan). Their wood and "wood-compo" non slip drivers are tops if you work in oily and greasy conditions. I also love their "bessel" ball handle drivers.

Likely not as heavy duty as traditional a 1/2" (or larger) hammer driven impact driver (though I've never broken a vessel driver), but Is much more comfortable to use, and has greater accessibility due to the size

Post Thanks / Like

I was able to tig weld some cold rolled square rod to the screws and use a crescent wrench to loosen them. The heat from the tig torch created just enough heat at 90 amps and the screws came out with ease. I have ordered the screws from McMaster Carr and will apply a little anti seize on them before installation.

I have to say this site it loaded with helpful comments and suggestions. Thanks Everyone !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

That great news.

Dave

I was able to tig weld some cold rolled square rod to the screws and use a crescent wrench to loosen them. The heat from the tig torch created just enough heat at 90 amps and the screws came out with ease. I have ordered the screws from McMaster Carr and will apply a little anti seize on them before installation.

I have to say this site it loaded with helpful comments and suggestions. Thanks Everyone !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=pipewelder;8819041]I I planned on using the permatex anti seize when putting it all back together.

glad u got it out. anything around water/water jacket stuff, i favor permatex 2. yeah, that balck non-hardening black sealnt. the **** ought to be illegal as messy as it is, but its got its place. id also think more of "never seize", than "permatex antisieze". there claim on the bottle od being shy of 2000 f or whatever is bs, in my memory/experiance