+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need to decide between Lincoln 210 Mp and Millermatic 215

Post Thanks / Like

Need to decide between Lincoln 210 Mp and Millermatic 215

Have you ever made a dumb mistake like selling a welder that you regretted almost immediately? Yup that's me after selling my Lincoln 210. Admittedly I did not use it much after getting into TIG, but now I am interested in buying a, yes, you guessed it, a ~200 amp MIG welder.

Not interested in the scratch TIG functionality, not interested in no-name brands, no matter how cheap, etc. but I want:
    * dual voltage (120/240)
    * inverter (=light, about 40 or so pounds)
    * quality

There used to be an Esab 211 but cannot find it anymore. So ultimately I narrowed down to Miller 215 MP vs Lincoln 210 MP. I am not a brand fanatic so no hard feelz either way.

Any practical advice or point I am missing? Thank you in advance.
    HTP Invertig 221H w/ CK20 water-cooled torch • Lincoln PowerMig 210MP • Hypertherm PowerMax 45XP • Optrel Crystal 2.0

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need to decide between Lincoln 210 Mp and Millermatic 215

I personally like the color display on the 210 Lincoln. I’ve had one since they first came out and had no issues I’m sure the Miller is ok, I like red paint better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve

Miller Dialarc 250 (1990)
    Miller Maxstar 140 STR (2003)
    Lincoln SA200 Redface Pipeliner (1966)
    Lincoln MP210 (2015)
    Victor and MECO torches

Post Thanks / Like

If you're open to using a step-up transformer for about $100, you don't have to limit yourself to machines that are DV by default, which will open up other options. An HTP MTS 210 would complement your 221 nicely. $1600 before the pricing goes up on July 15th. Just saying.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

4. Likes koenbro liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So you do want/need the tig functionality too ? You said no scratch start but does that mean no tig really needed at all ? Lots more machines to look at if you are only needing a Mig.

Post Thanks / Like

If you already own a nice TIG, and aren't interested in the scratch-start TIG function, why spend more money on multiprocess machines?
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    So you do want/need the tig functionality too ? You said no scratch start but does that mean no tig really needed at all ? Lots more machines to look at if you are only needing a Mig.
    No need for TIG at all. I already have an HTP Invertig which is a very capable machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    HTP Invertig 221H w/ CK20 water-cooled torch • Lincoln PowerMig 210MP • Hypertherm PowerMax 45XP • Optrel Crystal 2.0

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    If you already own a nice TIG, and aren't interested in the scratch-start TIG function, why spend more money on multiprocess machines?
    Exactly. My problem is none of the majors offer a 200-210 amps dual voltage inverter MIG-only machine, or I haven’t found any. Frankly i think adding on scratch TIG is marketing BS.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    If you're open to using a step-up transformer for about $100, you don't have to limit yourself to machines that are DV by default, which will open up other options. An HTP MTS 210 would complement your 221 nicely. $1600 before the pricing goes up on July 15th. Just saying.
    It’s out of stock sadly

Post Thanks / Like

The larger is better.
    It give power for later work.
    Note 240volt is best way to go. The 120 volt is just flipping the breaker.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by koenbro View Post
    Have you ever made a dumb mistake like selling a welder that you regretted almost immediately? Yup that's me after selling my Lincoln 210. Admittedly I did not use it much after getting into TIG, but now I am interested in buying a, yes, you guessed it, a ~200 amp MIG welder.

Not interested in the scratch TIG functionality, not interested in no-name brands, no matter how cheap, etc. but I want:
    * dual voltage (120/240)
    * inverter (=light, about 40 or so pounds)
    * quality

There used to be an Esab 211 but cannot find it anymore. So ultimately I narrowed down to Miller 215 MP vs Lincoln 210 MP. I am not a brand fanatic so no hard feelz either way.

Any practical advice or point I am missing? Thank you in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

have you looked at the millermatic211 ? i picked one up couple months ago and like it for the type of stuff i do around the house. although a havent used it a hek of alot yet since i been stick welding lately. the only thing is it doesnt have digital readout but you didnt mention if thats a necessity
    hypertherm powermax 30xp
    fronius transpocket 180
    fronius transsteel 2200
    fronius iwave 230i water cooled
    hobart handler 100

Post Thanks / Like

A Miller 211 is pretty much the mig only version of the 215.

13. Likes Dave66, wb4rt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    A Miller 211 is pretty much the mig only version of the 215.

well it does mig, flux core and dual shield. but ya its not a multi process machine. he said he already had a tig welder. i wasnt sure if he needed something that can stick weld also
    hypertherm powermax 30xp
    fronius transpocket 180
    fronius transsteel 2200
    fronius iwave 230i water cooled
    hobart handler 100

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    @Oscar, what are your thoughts on the HTP MIG 200i? Do the HTP MIG welders like this one use industry standard MIG gun connections or some rare proprietary ones?

Last edited by koenbro; 07-08-2021 at 08:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly. My problem is none of the majors offer a 200-210 amps dual voltage inverter MIG-only machine, or I haven’t found any. Frankly i think adding on scratch TIG is marketing BS.
    The current Millermatic 211 is an inverter, dual-voltage and has a max output of 230A....seems like it would be a perfect fit and everything I've seen written about them seems positive. I had the prior 211 for a short time and thought it was very nice, but many people say the new version is even better.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

It’s out of stock sadly

Dang that sucks. I saw the PP 220MTS was out of stock but didn't know about the 210MTS.

@Oscar, what are your thoughts on the HTP MIG 200i? Do the HTP MIG welders like this one use industry standard MIG gun connections or some rare proprietary ones?

Yes as far as I can tell it uses a standard Euro Connector, just like the other MIGs. That one comes with the small 180A gun, but (unless you need it's compact size as a requirement, I would opt to upgrade for the 24-series, which is a 240A gun and only slightly larger. Other than that I don't have any experience with that one as I don't own one. Looking at the specs, it's more of a "180A" MIG IMO, since the duty cycle is 20% there. At 200A I can imagine it's probably only 10% or so. But for what it costs I don't think that's too shabby; you can run big 12" spools if you want to, and 180-200A will be able to weld Ό" decently.
    Last edited by Oscar; 07-08-2021 at 11:55 AM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Between the two I would pick the Lincoln. It has more features/settings you can use and tweak, such as inductance, burn back, etc. I was quite surprised to see that these either don't exist on the Miller or are not adjustable.

Post Thanks / Like

So i went and got a Lincoln 210. My LWS did not have any in stock but Praxair did, so that’s where I bought it. I think I won’t regret it, having used it in the past. Thank you all for your input.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you meant to say Miller Multimatic 215 not Millermatic 215. I think you made a good choice with the Lincoln. Esab has the Rebel series that also get good reviews. When Miller came out with the Multimatic 200 I thought they were over priced for what they were. They got decent reviews but just seemed too high a price and the 215's were more expensive. The Esab and Lincoln 215 machines came out with more features and a lower price to compete with the Miller. I suspect that's why Miller added the 215.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    I think you meant to say Miller Multimatic 215 not Millermatic 215. I think you made a good choice with the Lincoln. Esab has the Rebel series that also get good reviews. When Miller came out with the Multimatic 200 I thought they were over priced for what they were. They got decent reviews but just seemed too high a price and the 215's were more expensive. The Esab and Lincoln 215 machines came out with more features and a lower price to compete with the Miller. I suspect that's why Miller added the 215.
    I believe the Miller multimatic 215 is capable of AC tig and was developed to compete with the Rebel 205 AC/DC as well as the everlasting ac/dc multi process units.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

The Multimatic 215 is DC.
    The Multimatic 220 AC/DC is AC and DC.

Post Thanks / Like

So i went and got a Lincoln 210. My LWS did not have any in stock but Praxair did, so that’s where I bought it. I think I won’t regret it, having used it in the past. Thank you all for your input.

I don't think that you will regret this purchase. I really like my 210MP a lot.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vwguy3 View Post
    The Multimatic 215 is DC.
    The Multimatic 220 AC/DC is AC and DC.
    oops my bad.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok here it is, took its place next to its siblings.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice set up ! I like that everything is on one cart, great for saving space (because there's never enough). Thanks for sharing. I dont think there was any wrong decision, I have welders of many different manufacturers, but I have been really happy with my 210 mp that I've had for six years. I have mig welded aluminum , stainless, mild steel solid wires, gasless fluxcore, gas shielded flux core, mig brazed, tig brazed, tig welded stainless, mild steel, 7018,7014,6011,6013,308,309 welding rods. It runs mig off 120v really well, stick not so much maybe 75 amps,depending on wiring. I have no regrets about buying the lincoln 210 mp, it has, and still does everything well except for 6010 which if you turn up the arc force and hot start, you can kind of run it , but it sticks alot. I hope yours works as well as mine.

Best Regards
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

27. Likes koenbro liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist