Thread: Flux core, 100% CO2, 6011 or something else?

Post Thanks / Like

Flux core, 100% CO2, 6011 or something else?

I have to beef up a DIY welding cart that was given to me. It's made from 1/4" x 2" angle. The top shelf that holds the welder is only attached at the back with a few welds and no support in the front. My new 220v Hobart weighs about 80 lbs and I don't want it to pop the welds and crash to the floor.

I have a few choices on how to fix the cart but the main problem is that it's been painted with rattle can black. I can't clean out the paint in some areas that need welded. I've tried various things. Particularly because the metal surface is rough and holds paint in the rough surface areas. Inside corners, etc. So in order to weld back in there, I have a few choices:

1) Paint remover and a wire brush
    2) Flux core, hoping it will bite in past the paint
    3) 100% CO2, also hoping it will bite in
    4) 6011. Not my favorite because my stick skills are way below my mig skills.

What would you all suggest? Maybe something else I haven't thought of?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flux core, 100% CO2, 6011 or something else?

Clean it the best you can and weld it with hard wire. Paint usually isn't that bad unless it's really heavy or powder coated. With stem mounted wire wheels and cup wheels you should be able to get it fairly clean. Be sure to use a well ventilated area

Post Thanks / Like

They do make little hand held sand blasters Iíve used for the hard to reach areas. Or 6011 is my suggestion. But Iím mostly a stick guy myself. I also think any option would be good to beef up a welding cart. Itís not like your welding something like a bridge back together. It only has to be strong enough to support the load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I would use flux core E71T-1 with CO2. I only use E6011 if can not get mig welder to location.

The flux core is faster than stick welder and give cleaner looking weld.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
    I have to beef up a DIY welding cart that was given to me. It's made from 1/4" x 2" angle. The top shelf that holds the welder is only attached at the back with a few welds and no support in the front. My new 220v Hobart weighs about 80 lbs and I don't want it to pop the welds and crash to the floor.

I have a few choices on how to fix the cart but the main problem is that it's been painted with rattle can black. I can't clean out the paint in some areas that need welded. I've tried various things. Particularly because the metal surface is rough and holds paint in the rough surface areas. Inside corners, etc. So in order to weld back in there, I have a few choices:

1) Paint remover and a wire brush
    2) Flux core, hoping it will bite in past the paint
    3) 100% CO2, also hoping it will bite in
    4) 6011. Not my favorite because my stick skills are way below my mig skills.

What would you all suggest? Maybe something else I haven't thought of?

Post Thanks / Like

If the welds that are there are sound, I would leave it. 80 lbs is nothing. Stitch welds are fine for that weight.
    Miller Multimatic 255

6. Likes ljmelius liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    If the welds that are there are sound, I would leave it. 80 lbs is nothing. Stitch welds are fine for that weight.
    +1

Unless the welds are obviously, laughably atrocious, I would probably leave it as-is even if the welder weighed 8000#.

Steel is remarkably strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Just weld it with what you have. If the paint causes porosity, grind and weld again.

Option 2, use a little propane torch and burn the paint out first.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

9. Likes ljmelius, Dave66 liked this post