Thread: Powermatic 31A belt/disk sander

Post Thanks / Like

Powermatic 31A belt/disk sander

Is there really a distinct difference between a standing belt sander for wood vs. metal?
    I do both. I ordered a powermatic 31A standing belt/disk sander and it's on the way. Just looking for some reassurance this was a good choice.
    When I received an email from the distributor saying it was back ordered and will arrive in late September I called to cancel the order on July 8th and they said it already shipped??
    I can still refuse the delivery if I want but I really want a good "Made in the USA" product that will be used probably 80/20 metal vs. wood.
    Any advice?
    Thank You

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Powermatic 31A belt/disk sander

The main difference is power and speed. The belt's fps (feet per second) is much higher on belt grinders. And it takes more power to keep it at that speed without bogging down.

I use a crappy low end little Delta wood sander for metal. It works, just slow. Painfully slow. I'm guessing that Powermatic will be way better. If you end up getting a belt grinder in the future, you can always offer the Powermatic on CL or FB Marketplace and see if there is any interest. I speculate it will sell easily.
    Century buzzbox that I learned on 40+ years ago (was Dad's)
    Crappy Century 110volt mig 70 amp pigeon pooper.
    Lincoln Idealarc TIG-300

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Powermatic 31A belt/disk sander

Quote Originally Posted by vanderloo01 View Post
    Is there really a distinct difference between a standing belt sander for wood vs. metal?
    When you get the opportunity to use a real belt grinder you will be embarrassed you asked the question

Just kidding. Yours is a very legitimate question. The short answer is YES.

Quite a few USA manufacturers. Burr King and Kalamazoo come to mind. Used units are frequently available.

Plus several quality American manufacturers targeting the knife makers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :