+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I fix/remove these pathetic welds?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do I fix/remove these pathetic welds?

Make a new one. As others have stated.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

Post Thanks / Like

carbide burr will get into the corner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    Crank up the volts and burn a good new weld right next to them. Or use a chamfer electrode or cutting torch laid at an angle. Pretty basic stuff.
    I wasn't familiar with the chamfer electrode so I looked it up. Pretty slick, no need for air/arc equipment. None of the LWS stores here carry them, I have to get them online. Either Grainger or McMaster-Carr because they sell 1 lb tubes. Everyone else is 5 lb or 10 lb.

I don't care much about the first two welds, ugly but can be easily worked around. My main bother is the last one and a few more like it because they're in the way of what i want to do. I think your chamfer electrode should work. I looked up all the YouTubes I could find and it looks like a perfect process for this problem. Way faster than a burr, and cheaper.

I'll have to experiment first, it may be a little touchy so as not to blow a hole in the side wall of the angle when I gouge out the weld.

Thanks for the info. I love learning new stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Lord, chamfer electrodes, plasma cutters, gouging IMHO, you're making this a thousand times more complicated than it needs to be.

You could have fixed it forever in less time than it took to write the OP, with nothing more than one or two sticks of 1/8" 6010.

5. Likes Louie1961, MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    Good Lord, chamfer electrodes, plasma cutters, gouging IMHO, you're making this a thousand times more complicated than it needs to be.

You could have fixed it forever in less time than it took to write the OP, with nothing more than one or two sticks of 1/8" 6010.
    So I guess I'm missing something....how would I remove the weld in picture 3 with 1/8" 6010? Per my comment in post 28, thats my issue.

Post Thanks / Like

You wouldn't remove it. You would just go over it, perhaps long-arcing it a bit to melt it all together. We're not making a nuclear pressure vessel.

The resulting weld would be sufficiently strong to plop a locomotive on top of the stand. I suspect your inerter weighs less.

8. Likes Louie1961, MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You wouldn't remove it. You would just go over it, perhaps long-arcing it a bit to melt it all together. We're not making a nuclear pressure vessel.

The resulting weld would be sufficiently strong to plop a locomotive on top of the stand. I suspect your inerter weighs less.
    Your missing the point, the op wants to know how to remove a weld not half asz it back together. It's not an issue of strength it's appearance. Globbing more metal on top of crap isn't what the guy is looking to do.

Post Thanks / Like

To clarify a point or two that some are appearing to miss.

1) Welds in the first two are not a problem. Can be fixed.

2) Weld in #3 needs to be removed, it's in the way of something i'm going to do. No need to weld over it, that makes the problem worse.

3) i do not have a plasma or cutting torch

4) Leaving chamfer electrodes or carbide burs to do the job

5) Chamfer electrodes are quicker and cheaper

6) They're something new to learn and may be useful later

Post Thanks / Like

The welds are cold 🥶
    I would grind off the old weld then re-weld at higher temperature for welding.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
    I'm repairing/upgrading a welder stand that was given to me. Not my welds. Considering that these awful things are in/near corners, how do I remove them so I can put down good welds? The stock is 1/4" angle. Saving the stand for scrap and building a new one is not really an option right now.

I could weld the open areas in the top 2 but the bottom one needs to come out because I have to weld a piece of angle right where it is. There may be other welds that need to be fixed, I haven't checked thoroughly yet.

Only thing I can think of is some kind of tapered burr on my die grinder. If that's the answer, what burr?

Or is there a better way?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
    2) Weld in #3 needs to be removed, it's in the way of something i'm going to do. No need to weld over it, that makes the problem worse.
    Well, gee, I dunno, how about a GRINDER with a CUTOFF WHEEL??? Or -- now I'm really going crazy -- a portaband??? Or -- now I'm really going off the reservation -- how bout a sawzall or hand hacksaw? (Cut the whole assembly apart if need be, so you can weld it back together and prep for the 24k gold plating).

Yeah, I know: You don't have a grinder or hacksaw or portaband. Better buy you a gouging machine, plasma cutter, and some chamfer electrodes and fast!

Better yet, let's debate it for the next 45 weeks.

Good luck

13. Likes TJS liked this post
    Dislikes Josey, shortfuse disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for your help except for Kelvin. The rods are ordered from Grainger and will be here by Monday.

And Kelvin, I have 6 RA grinders, one die grinder, many cutoff wheels, flap wheels, a portaband, a sawzall, a hand hacksaw, a horizontal/vertical bandsaw, and many other useful items. And sorry to disappoint you but none of those will get back into that corner and we are done debating.

15. Likes shortfuse liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A 10-year-old kid with even the most rudimentary metalworking skillz -- and with no more equipment than a couple welding rods, an angle grinder, a cutoff wheel, a grinding wheel and about 15 minutes -- could make that joint look exactly as it was supposed to look if it had been welded properly.

Just because the OP can't do it, doesn't mean it can't be done.

Post Thanks / Like

Simple. Buy a plasma cutter that can gouge. Eazy peazy.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Weld #
    3. I would slice right down the open seam and cut the weld, then reweld it. The most legit looking weld look like the one with the easiest access. The other i would twist or hammer apart. Of course, since the welder is right there....slice through the metal and weld it back.

Post Thanks / Like

I think most beginners would be better served working on their welding, grinding and fabricating skillz -- rather than their shopping and equipment collecting skillz.

Shop skillz can get you past "lack of tools" far better than "lots of tools" can get you past "lack of shop skillz."

20. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, I think it's been established that appearance is the issue and not strength. As was mentioned by Tapwelder and should be evident, the frame wasn't put together right in the first place. Any self respecting craftsman would cope the angle iron or cut it on a 45 deg. so is flat and smooth around the inside and not overlapped sitting on top of each other. Don't say you want to improve it because of appearance. It could be tig welded by the best weldor on the planet but the angle iron overlapped like it was thrown together in a hurry is a much bigger eyesore than the poor welds! Cut it apart and it will be easy to grind the bad welds off. You can probably cut a bunch of the bad welds out if you put your thinking cap on.

Post Thanks / Like

I think most beginners would be better served working on their welding, grinding and fabricating skillz -- rather than their shopping and equipment collecting skillz.

Shop skillz can get you past "lack of tools" far better than "lots of tools" can get you past "lack of shop skillz."
    While that may be true, you have to admit if he had a plasma cutter he would have solved the problem right away, which is what he wanted to do. So in this case it's not about the "number of tools", it's about having a better, more efficienttool. So much better and efficient, that it would have relegated this post quite possibly unnecessary. So I rest my case.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    While that may be true, you have to admit if he had a plasma cutter he would have solved the problem right away, which is what he wanted to do. So in this case it's not about the "number of tools", it's about having a better, more efficienttool. So much better and efficient, that it would have relegated this post quite possibly unnecessary. So I rest my case.
    Still look like a hammer and wrench would have taken care of it faster than setting up a tool for this special occasion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Still look like a hammer and wrench would have taken care of it faster than setting up a tool for this special occasion.
    Possibly. Mine is always setup and ready to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Possibly. Mine is always setup and ready to go.
    My grinder and hammer are always closer than my plasma. My mind says just get it done. After 5 failed attempt, i might grab the plasma.

Post Thanks / Like

fast and easy:

Band saw down the weld bead

gouge out remaining bead with plasma/oxy acet./cabon rod

CNC machine out 35 degree bevel on each side with a 1/16 land

sand blast

hot dip chemical wash

6011 root

grind and clean

7018 cap

aneal

grind down weld

finish surface grinding

heat treat

cnc logo

laser etch name, date, and all material batch info

powder coat

have a beverage of your choice, you're the king.
    Last edited by SlowBlues; 07-15-2021 at 12:58 AM.

27. Likes 12V71, Meltedmetal, SweetMK, Louie1961, Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

on a serious note I would have:

used a 1/4inch grinding disc to get what I could (the smaller the diameter the better)

gotten the rest with a cut off wheel

You'll likely need to cut into the sidewall a bit - weld that too when done.

should be faster than setting up any other equipment

Post Thanks / Like

Nah. If the OP couldn't figure out how to cut up joint #3 and put it back together perfectly with only a cutoff wheel, grinding disk and welder, then I'm quite sure that he would fare no better with the best plasma cutter on the planet. It'd be like trying to do particle physics when you couldn't handle algebra.

The Indian is more important than the arrow. BTDT back when I was a noob with a plasma cutter. All I did was make a mess faster.
    Last edited by Kelvin; 07-15-2021 at 06:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    fast and easy:

Band saw down the weld bead

gouge out remaining bead with plasma/oxy acet./cabon rod

CNC machine out 35 degree bevel on each side with a 1/16 land

sand blast

hot dip chemical wash

6011 root

grind and clean

7018 cap

aneal

grind down weld

finish surface grinding

heat treat

cnc logo

laser etch name, date, and all material batch info

powder coat

have a beverage of your choice, you're the king.
    Seems the MOST important step would have been skipped,,,

MAKE A YouTube Video,,
    collect royalties, and buy a plasma torch,,,

Post Thanks / Like

I absolutely 100% agree with you. But the rods I'm getting will do similar and are way cheaper. A plasma is on my "to buy later" list.

Referencing other comments:
    1) No, I'm not interested in cutting the whole stand apart, putting a 45 on the corners and putting it back together. I'd rather buy all new metal and start over if that was my only option..

2) The diameter of cutoff wheels will not let me get into the corner unless I cut clear through the wall of the angle then weld it back. Of course I can do that (duh) but nope, not interested.

3) The chamfer rods are very interesting and will give me an excuse to learn something new which may come in handy later.

4) No set up involved, clamp one in the stinger and go. Faster than any other method except plasma, based on what I've seen. Probably will take a little practice which I'm looking forward to.

5) I value constructive comments and ignore a$$h0le ones.
    Last edited by JD1; 07-15-2021 at 10:39 AM.

32. Likes Oscar liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist