Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MM252 welding auto body panels and which wire to use

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MM252 welding auto body panels and which wire to use

There is a product called "Weld-Aid, Lube Matic" a felt disc that goes over the wire, then oil is poured on the felt pad. It was recommended to me by someone who spent a lot of time doing production MIG. Took a while to find some. Seems to help with feeding issues and should help the liner last longer. Also helps to clean the wire off as it is fed into the liner.
    Airco Auto-Pak 130

Forney 235AC/DC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roert42 View Post
    There is a product called "Weld-Aid, Lube Matic" a felt disc that goes over the wire, then oil is poured on the felt pad. It was recommended to me by someone who spent a lot of time doing production MIG. Took a while to find some. Seems to help with feeding issues and should help the liner last longer. Also helps to clean the wire off as it is fed into the liner.
    I've long wondered about a lubricant that won't ruin the weld.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

I will give you the good news, then the bad news. The good news is that the lube will saturate the steel coil liner and feeding the wire will be slicker than butter on a griddle. The bad news is the lube will dry out over time and get sludgy enough to create a ton of drag on the wire. Only thing to keep it wet is more lube.

So you better be a production trigger puller or you will need a new liner. I ended up putting in a new liner, and keeping it dry as a bone. Blowing out the liner on every spool change has done the trick for me.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

4. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Buy good quality wire and lube pads are not needed.
    Test, take a piece of clean paper towel and run 24Ē of wire through it. Is it dirty?, if yes then youíre running your wire through the dirt on the paper towel. Are you going to change the lube pad every 10í of wire?
    If no, then you have clean wire and donít need lube pads

6. Likes 12V71, Willie B liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I have, my 36 year old son has, the Airgas troubleshooter has, and the formerly Miller authorized welder repair tech (retired) has.
    Just checking, itís not something you would notice right off the bat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vwguy3 View Post
    Buy good quality wire and lube pads are not needed.
    Test, take a piece of clean paper towel and run 24” of wire through it. Is it dirty?, if yes then you’re running your wire through the dirt on the paper towel. Are you going to change the lube pad every 10’ of wire?
    If no, then you have clean wire and don’t need lube pads
    I hate those things, when they do build up with "stuff" they tend to dump it all at once into your drive rolls and liner at the worst time. And most tube wires have a light coat of dry lube that really packs the pads up. I have a lot less trouble without them.

Post Thanks / Like

Just checking, it’s not something you would notice right off the bat.
    The adjustment is not mentioned in the manual, but knowing people suggested it early on. It seems it is eyeball only to align, so it has been fussed with numerous times.
    Another question I think of is height. I don't see an adjustment to aim the liner equally between feed rollers.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Height is not adjustable.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info everyone.
    Just a quick update... I decided to just try using the .035 wire in the welder. So far it's going pretty good. I'm currently fitting the lower inner door piece and have it tacked in place in quite a few areas. I'll need to hammer it around a bit but I'm hoping to have it mostly fitted and tacked in tonight. Once the inner panel is tacked in exactly where I want it, I'm going to start playing with the fit of the outer skin. Once I know it's all going to fit ok I'll finish welding the inner panel then move on to tacking in the outer skin. I'm butt welding the inner panel, but I'm going to do an offset flange for the outer skin to make life easier. I'm not going for a show truck here, but the truck just has too much utility value for me to just let it continue to rot away. So far I'm really happy with how its coming together. The inner panel from LMC truck wasn't an exceptional fit, but I'm confident that I can get it to line up good enough with a little persuasion. Here's a few pics. More to come as I keep slowly working at it!
    Thanks again,
    Dan

Name:  image0.jpeg
Views: 81
Size:  97.9 KB
    Name:  image1.jpeg
Views: 74
Size:  104.1 KB
    Name:  image6.jpeg
Views: 80
Size:  125.7 KB
    Name:  image4.jpeg
Views: 81
Size:  161.3 KB
    Name:  image7.jpeg
Views: 71
Size:  143.0 KB
    Esab TradeMaster Torch
    Smith AW1A Airline Torch
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Millermatic 252 w/ Spoolmatic 15a
    Thermal Arc 190 GTS
    SpeedGlas 9100v

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PilotDan View Post
    Thanks for all the info everyone.
    Just a quick update... I decided to just try using the .035 wire in the welder. So far it's going pretty good. I'm currently fitting the lower inner door piece and have it tacked in place in quite a few areas. I'll need to hammer it around a bit but I'm hoping to have it mostly fitted and tacked in tonight. Once the inner panel is tacked in exactly where I want it, I'm going to start playing with the fit of the outer skin. Once I know it's all going to fit ok I'll finish welding the inner panel then move on to tacking in the outer skin. I'm butt welding the inner panel, but I'm going to do an offset flange for the outer skin to make life easier. I'm not going for a show truck here, but the truck just has too much utility value for me to just let it continue to rot away. So far I'm really happy with how its coming together. The inner panel from LMC truck wasn't an exceptional fit, but I'm confident that I can get it to line up good enough with a little persuasion. Here's a few pics. More to come as I keep slowly working at it!
    Thanks again,
    Dan
    Just a thought, but I use a lot of Esab/Allstate .030 Easygrind wire. It is stronger than the original formula, but still burns smooth as silk way down low. I can't drive .023" wire either and this does the trick. My Vulcan can drive .023 wire but I don't use it much. Nothing will drive my original .023 Easygrind formula wire and it is way too soft and I sold off the Linde V160 meant to drive it years ago.

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/4...ate-Easy-grind
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D

Post Thanks / Like

I have looked at easy grind before but for 3 times the price of 70S6 I just could never see that S6 was that difficult to grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    Yes it is.

Post Thanks / Like

I have looked at easy grind before but for 3 times the price of 70S6 I just could never see that S6 was that difficult to grind.
    Well I sand. They should have called it EasySand for me. Rough grinding, then feathering with a flap disk, then finish sanding with a flat disk takes time and effort. EasyGrind is all I keep in my Lincoln mig. But then I have 5 mig welders.

17. Likes vwguy3 liked this post