Thread: Replacing Hobart 210 MVP

Post Thanks / Like

Replacing Hobart 210 MVP

35 years ago I bought a Lincoln 115v SP MIG to use for misc autobody and misc repairs. It has the infinite variable voltage.
    I learned to MIG with the infinite variable voltage and could fine tune my setup.

10 years ago I purchased a Hobart 210 MVP for heavier stuff, the LWS owner said it would suit me fine and being a tapped machine would not hamper me at all, He said I could fine tune via the wire speed.
    It has not worked out for me, I can weld heavier stuff, but many times welds are less than stellar because I can not fine tune like I would with my 115v Lincoln. I can not find the "perfect" spot like I can with variable voltage AND wire speed.
    I will be the 1st to admit, I do not have a full grasp of how MIG machines control voltage, current, etc. I typ grab a test piece of similar metal, run beads while turning up the voltage until i get blow through, then back off slightly.

I would like to replace the Hobart with a 200 amp machine (at least 200, max 250) that has variable voltage
    I keep my Lincoln 115v machine setup with .023 for sheet metal so I do not need dual voltage.
    I have a Lincoln Precision TIG 225, so I do not need a "Multi function" machine.

Used or new,
    I want reliable and parts availability, The less electronics the better IMHO,, but open to schooling on this aspect.
    No preference between transformer and inverter,, Thoughts on reliability between the 2? I do NOT want to be repairing/replacing the machine in 10, 15, 20, 25 years.

I use my MIGs an average of 1-2 hours a week, sometime sitting idle for a month.

I was in Harbor Freight last month,, They do have a MIG only machine, and did look at the "MigMax 215",, nice machine with good reviews, but resisted for the obvious reasons.

Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Replacing Hobart 210 MVP

I would bet if you could get someone that was familiar with the machine you have,
    that person could make the machine do EXACTLY what you want.

Vary voltage, and wire speed, the machine should be able to take care of the rest,,

IMHO,, if you get a "different" machine,, you will be up against the same wall,,
    you will be trying to get the new machine to operate with the parameters you select,,

That is what I usually find,, when the machine does not want to do what I want,,

Are you using the right gas, and wire with your present welder? Are you using the best contact tips?
    Look for the cheap fix first,, a tank of gas is pretty cheap, compared to a new welding machine!!

Good luck,,

Post Thanks / Like

My issue is the 220v Hobart is a "tapped" machine, only 6 "stepped" voltage selections.
    While my 115V Lincoln is infinite variable voltage.

Many instances on the Hobart, One voltage setting is to low, the next tap is to high. I can adjust wire speed to try to compensate, but then I run into issues of to much or to little filler being introduced into the weld, I could work around by adjusting travel speed, etc. But why?? My "style", the way I learned was adjusting voltage for thicknes/penitration, then tuning the arc via wire feed to get a consistent "buzz" Like I said, I have zero problems with the infinite variable Lincoln.
    I "can" and do weld with the Hobart, but I am looking for that final 5% of perfection like I can get with the infinite voltage Lincoln.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post
    I would bet if you could get someone that was familiar with the machine you have,
    that person could make the machine do EXACTLY what you want.

Vary voltage, and wire speed, the machine should be able to take care of the rest,,

IMHO,, if you get a "different" machine,, you will be up against the same wall,,
    you will be trying to get the new machine to operate with the parameters you select,,

That is what I usually find,, when the machine does not want to do what I want,,

Are you using the right gas, and wire with your present welder? Are you using the best contact tips?
    Look for the cheap fix first,, a tank of gas is pretty cheap, compared to a new welding machine!!

Good luck,,

Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting exactly what you mean, I am actually a fan of some of the big industrial tapped machines, but they tend to have 25-40 different voltage settings, with steps of half a volt in the low end and bigger steps once it's past 30 volts so you actually get pretty fine control.

6 voltage settings is pretty poor for a 200 amp machine.

If you want a machine that will still be going in 25 years that limits your options, some of the older ESAB transformer machines will be in that range, or a Lincoln V350 pro with an ln 25, but I'm guessing both are outside of your budget.

I suggest actually considering the HF migmax 215, or if you can find a vulcan equivalent, AVE did a teardown of a vulcan machine and was actually very impressed with the build quality.

Post Thanks / Like

I am partial to larger machines. I would try to find a used Millermatic 252 or perhaps go with the Hobart Ironman 240 https://www.hobartwelders.com/equipm...-welder-m30243
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Look for an older Miller 211 transformer style. I’ve had one for 12+ years. Sounds like exactly what you are looking for.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 120

10FtDrillBit.com

7. Likes BD1, Dave66 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice guys.

I had no idea the Ironman 240 was infinite voltage,,
    I will also keep an eye out for a Miller 211 Xfrmr machine

Post Thanks / Like

So is the general consensus that inverter machines are not "Lifetime" machines?

Post Thanks / Like

I hope not...I just bought a Multimatic 255

There's lots of non-inverter machines that die too...look at the venerable Syncrowave, for example. I am not sure there are any "lifetime" machines anymore.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

If you can find a good used Linde / L-tec / ESAB Migmaster 250 you will be happy. Transformer based machine with replaceable parts inside and out. If good when purchased, it should last you a life time. The Linde/L-etc/ESAB Migmaster 225 is almost the same machine.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 07-18-2021 at 06:06 PM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    I hope not...I just bought a Multimatic 255

There's lots of non-inverter machines that die too...look at the venerable Syncrowave, for example. I am not sure there are any "lifetime" machines anymore.
    Huh? How many dead Syncrowaves have you seen? I've had 17 or 18 of them so far, all bought without being to test them first and all have worked. I'm positive a few die here and there, but it's not too common.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slackdaddy View Post
    Used or new,
    I want reliable and parts availability, The less electronics the better IMHO,, but open to schooling on this aspect.
    No preference between transformer and inverter,, Thoughts on reliability between the 2? I do NOT want to be repairing/replacing the machine in 10, 15, 20, 25 years.
    As far as used machines go, I would limit the search to three machines....all inverters. A later production Millermatic 251, later transformer Millermatic 211 or any Millermatic 252. The 211 is a very nice machine, but not in the same class as the other two in a variety of ways...but still a very nice machine. The 252 has more in the way of electronics and repairs can be a tad more expensive, but still reasonable. As an example, if either display or knob/dial fails you have to buy the board with all four components...it's a modular unit. If the same happens on a MM251, you can replace just the pot for a bad dial, or the display which has both readouts for far less so it's more of the old way of being able to repair individual components.

Hobart and Lincoln machines aren't supported for nearly the length of time that Miller does right now (even though Hobart is in the same family as Miller). Ten years is about all you can expect for those two.

The new Ironman 240 is essentially a stripped down Millermatic 252. Most of the parts actually have the same numbers as a MM252 if you compare the parts diagrams. Considering you'd get a warranty that might be a good move, and they're priced attractively. From what I've seen of the used market you can buy a new Ironman 240 for about what a clean MM252 is going for.

I wouldn't buy an inverter machine used because you won't have a warranty. When inverter machines fail it's usually a board failure, and the boards regularly cost half of what a new machine does. If it's still under warranty it's not a big deal, but out of warranty very few people are going to drop half the cost of a new machine to buy a board and still not have a warranty. I wound up with a free $5K inverter welder recently...it's dead. It needs a $1K power board to find out if the second board is good and that one is $1500....I can't imagine anybody spending that money not knowing what they're going to wind up with....and it's only a 7 year old machine. The inverter machines are getting more reliable all the time, but the one tradeoff of being smaller, lighter and drawing less power is that the repairs generally aren't going to be as simple as on a transformer machine...really no way around that.

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    Huh? How many dead Syncrowaves have you seen? I've had 17 or 18 of them so far, all bought without being to test them first and all have worked. I'm positive a few die here and there, but it's not too common.

Ask Steve (7A749). He used to blow circuit boards all the time. There's a fair number of people who have had to replace or repair PC1.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

10, 15, 20, 25 years.
    That's a huge range! 10 years is not too much to ask for if you buy a professional level machine ($,$$$) and take care of it, but 25 years !?! If you bought a machine 35 years ago, I take it you're at least ~60 yrs old now? So you want a machine to last you pretty much until you take your last breath (based on the average male life expectancy, assuming you're in good health and have good eyesight and dexterity/steady nerves at that age)? I think you're dreaming and looking for a unicorn welder. But all is not lost if you can wake up and go with the times. Buy a good machine, that is more capable of what you plan to do with it, take care of it, and it should last a good while. If it dies way outside of warranty, then just make sure you have a lil something something saved up for a rainy day, cut your losses and get another one.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

I typ grab a test piece of similar metal, run beads while turning up the voltage until i get blow through, then back off slightly.
    Sounds like you maybe just have never really leaned to fine tune a mig machine. If you are just changing voltage to tune it that is the problem. The wire feed speed is basically your amperage adjustment and should be as much a part of tuning in the machine as the voltage is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Ask Steve (7A749). He used to blow circuit boards all the time. There's a fair number of people who have had to replace or repair PC1.
    I guess I don't consider that being "dead"....broken, sure, but something that can be fixed in most cases. If my memory is correct they had a bad run/batch of PC1 cards at one point rather than generally PC1 failures throughout the years, but I could be confusing that with another machine.

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

This Transformer based millermatic 211 popped up a couple hours ago near Reno NV. List for $700

https://reno.craigslist.org/tls/d/da...353488819.html
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.