+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fillet welding with stick

Post Thanks / Like

Re: fillet welding with stick

I picked up some 7014 and 7018. The 7014 welds real easy, like that one. The 7018 sticks a lot, don’t have much time on it. Will give it another go this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

I like 3/32" 7016 myself. It is truly an any-position rod.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

I will try it. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Your best bet is just some plain ol' 3/32 7018. Easy to run, good puddle visibility. It's a drag rod........just pull it along.

I had a terrible experience when I fixed my filler neck on my 1 ton. My eyesight has gotten so bad in my left eye, that I can barely see anything clearly out of that eye........and I've lost depth perception due to it.

I was pretty depressed about it,, but decided that that I should just shut up about it, and "re-learn" the process. I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel yet.

Name:  coupler7.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  182.5 KB Micro weave to define the toes

Name:  coupler8.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  180.2 KB Micro weave to define the toes

Name:  coupler9.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  220.6 KB Straight drag, letting the puddle define the toes

I had to do this to get back on the horse, so to speak..........and I'm still not 100% I have to concentrate more than I ever did, or it starts to go South very fast. The biggest problem I still have, is bead height........I'm not able to see depth/height so much anymore. Don't even walk around the yard at dusk anymore, I almost fall on my face because I can't see the difference in the ground contour We're going to one of those 1hr optical places in Tulsa when K'kins decides to take a day off. I refuse to do anything about the cataracts yet........not till I'm almost blind.......don't want any idiot fishing around in my eyes.

Anyways............3/32 is the easiest to handle, and takes the least amount of amps if you're having trouble getting power to your welder.

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing that can cause problems is having an arc fault circuit breaker. Many people don't realize they have them. When a wire breaks or shorts, it sometimes throws a little spark. That's an "arc fault" and trips the breaker. Sometimes it interprets the arc of a weld as an arc fault and trips, thus you have people complaining about how their little welders are "always tripping the circuit breaker." Switch it for a regular breaker and the problem will disappear.

As for the rest of your issues, "become one with the puddle, grasshopper."
    -Ruark
    "Become one with the puddle, grasshopper" - Welding Instructor
    Lincoln 3200HD
    Hobart Stickmate LX235
    TWECO Fabricator 211i

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tryonix View Post
    Makes sense, yeh I am on a 20A breaker. I am gonna get an electrician in here and see if I can get a 220 line installed.
    Turns out my assumption that it could even produce 140A was wrong. This is from Forney (see pic below). I1max is just barely 21A, and even though the label states "120A", from actual empirical data, 120V/21A translates into roughly 100A of welding output. The stick side is even lower. So while it may not trip a 20A breaker, that's not necessarily a good thing because it means the output is severely limited. At least some other machines do actually put out more welding output when allowed to draw close to 30A @ 120V, but doesn't look like this one does.

So in the end it's still always good to have a dedicated 240V circuit installed on a good sized breaker & wiring.
    Last edited by Oscar; 07-30-2021 at 11:53 AM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

7014 is very user friendly and is beyond suitable for most hobby use. 7018 carries a learning curve and may not work well on a 120 volt 125 amp machine, 3/32 may be ok, 7024 might be a good choice as long as your welds are "in position" (flat or horizontal).
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

A photo would help.
    Welding was not hobby for it was a living.
    I can weld very well with stick or mig even tig and torch.

I lean from books and followed the photos in book. At time I was to young to go to school so learn on my own.

Dave

Hello all,

I recently got into welding. It is a hobby for me. I want to make some stuff, smoker, pizza oven, etc. I wanted to take a welding class, but the only welding schools near me are really intensive 8 hour per day for 36 weeks courses, which don't work for me. No one offers a weekend crash course, or even a night course. So I have been teaching myself, reading everything I can and watching YouTube.

I bought a DC stick welder and got some practice coupons. I can lay a pretty straight bead. I am still trying to get the hang of proper voltage. I think most times I am running too hot. But that is a different issue. I have been trying to get the hang of fillet welds. I set up my pieces, I tack them together, and run a 3/32 6013 at a 45 degree angle into the corner, just like they do in the YouTube videos. I have tried running straight beads and little circles and from the slag it looks like I am fusing both sides into the fillet, but when I break off the slag, I either got weld on the top plate or the bottom plate and no real fusion between the 2. Does anyone have any pointers? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Makes sense, yeh I am on a 20A breaker. I am gonna get an electrician in here and see if I can get a 220 line installed.
    If you have a 240VAC, 50a circuit installed you will be able to use a good variety of welding equipment, including most 240VAC stick, MiG and plasma cutters. If you only go 30a you may have to spend $ again later to upgrade.

If you upgrade, a really great 120/240 inverter machine is the Lincoln 210MP. It will let you stick, MiG and dc TIG weld all from the same machine. It’s a great all around machine for a hobbiest or occasional light fabricator, and it has the benefit of having auto settings to help you learn how to set the machine.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Your best bet is just some plain ol' 3/32 7018. Easy to run, good puddle visibility. It's a drag rod........just pull it along.

I had a terrible experience when I fixed my filler neck on my 1 ton. My eyesight has gotten so bad in my left eye, that I can barely see anything clearly out of that eye........and I've lost depth perception due to it.

I was pretty depressed about it,, but decided that that I should just shut up about it, and "re-learn" the process. I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel yet.

Name:  coupler7.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  182.5 KB Micro weave to define the toes

Name:  coupler8.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  180.2 KB Micro weave to define the toes

Name:  coupler9.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  220.6 KB Straight drag, letting the puddle define the toes

I had to do this to get back on the horse, so to speak..........and I'm still not 100% I have to concentrate more than I ever did, or it starts to go South very fast. The biggest problem I still have, is bead height........I'm not able to see depth/height so much anymore. Don't even walk around the yard at dusk anymore, I almost fall on my face because I can't see the difference in the ground contour We're going to one of those 1hr optical places in Tulsa when K'kins decides to take a day off. I refuse to do anything about the cataracts yet........not till I'm almost blind.......don't want any idiot fishing around in my eyes.

Anyways............3/32 is the easiest to handle, and takes the least amount of amps if you're having trouble getting power to your welder.
    Sammm, get those cataracts fixed, it's a piece of cake now-a-days. My dad had his done in the early 60's and it was a huge deal then. My wife has had cataracts in both eyes & had really good results, I had lasik about 20 years ago and that worked great, now I've got cataracts starting, when the time comes I'll have em fixed, don't sweat it brother. There are breakthroughs every year & it's getting better & easier every year, when you get it done you'll kick yourself in the hind end for not doing it sooner. After having it done you probably won't need glasses for anything but reading.
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 07-31-2021 at 04:05 PM.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

11. Likes 12V71, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    Sammm, get those cataracts fixed, it's a piece of cake now-a-days. My dad had his done in the early 60's and it was a huge deal then. My wife has had cataracts in both eyes & had really good results, I had lasik about 20 years ago and that worked great, now I've got cataracts starting, when the time comes I'll have em fixed, don't sweat it brother. There are breakthroughs every year & it's getting better & easier every year, when you get it done you'll kick yourself in the hind end for not doing it sooner. After having it done you probably won't need glasses for anything but reading.
    Listen to CAVEMAN. He totally nailed it.

I had mine done half a dozen years ago. The procedure is quick and safe.

“ Don’t sweat it brother”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

13. Likes 12V71, CAVEMANN, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    Yep, got mine done 3 years ago, 20 minutes per side. If you wait too long it takes a little longer because the pocket where the lens sits has to be cleaned out too. And the Doc has trouble getting optical measurements of the eyeball to calculate the correction factor of the replacement lens.
    When I had the first one done the Doc told me to go home, drink two beers and nap for 4 hours and come back to the office for a follow up. He took the patch off and ran a quick vision test... 20/20 distance vision! No patch after that and was back at work in 4 days with a bending/lifting warning. That nap bypassed the post op irritation when the painkiller wore off.
    He did the other 3 weeks later and I actually looked forward to it. I did get a sample of Fentynal both times to help with anxiety issues. Big help.

Oh, I do use 2.0 readers now for anything closer than 3 ft. and a 2.25 cheater in my hood. I could have gotten near sight lenses but then you pay big money for far sight correction. My optician made up some bi-focal glasses with a larger close up viewing area for pretty cheap.
    Last edited by 12V71; 07-31-2021 at 04:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all,

I recently got into welding. It is a hobby for me. I want to make some stuff, smoker, pizza oven, etc. I wanted to take a welding class, but the only welding schools near me are really intensive 8 hour per day for 36 weeks courses, which don't work for me. No one offers a weekend crash course, or even a night course. So I have been teaching myself, reading everything I can and watching YouTube.

Thanks
    This one is closer to you : Passaic County technical institute - https://www.ssreg.com/passaic/classe...asp?catID=2297

This one is near me, about an hour west of you : Warren county technical School - http://wctech.org/wcts/Adult%20Educa...pdf?1627918380

They aren't cheap, but nobody is offering as much of the adult courses for welding this year, and last . Possibly pandemic or demograsphic related. Morris county, and sussex county don't seem to be offering any this season, only degree programs.

Best of luck.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    This one is closer to you : Passaic County technical institute - https://www.ssreg.com/passaic/classe...asp?catID=2297

This one is near me, about an hour west of you : Warren county technical School - http://wctech.org/wcts/Adult%20Educa...pdf?1627918380

They aren't cheap, but nobody is offering as much of the adult courses for welding this year, and last . Possibly pandemic or demograsphic related. Morris county, and sussex county don't seem to be offering any this season, only degree programs.

Best of luck.
    That first course you posted is a bargain. 72 hours of instruction for $600

My local vocational college is almost $900 for way less hours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

17. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I got these crappy things today

I SEE WORSE THAN I DID BEFORE

Name:  puller38.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  238.5 KB

"You gotta get used to them" Bull****, they don't work.

And while we were in getting the stinkin' things, some ******* knocked the right side mirror off the friggin' truck Now I gotta pull the mirror off the parts truck to fix it. And it's a chrome mirror, instead of the flat black mirror I got on the truck now

I'm going back,, and raise hell. This is crap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I got these crappy things today

I SEE WORSE THAN I DID BEFORE

Name:  puller38.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  238.5 KB

"You gotta get used to them" Bull****, they don't work.

And while we were in getting the stinkin' things, some ******* knocked the right side mirror off the friggin' truck Now I gotta pull the mirror off the parts truck to fix it. And it's a chrome mirror, instead of the flat black mirror I got on the truck now

I'm going back,, and raise hell. This is crap.
    IT IS NOT THE GLASSES. I have been there... Get your cataracts fixed. In the last 3 weeks before I got mine done I could see my vision degrade daily. I finally shut the shop up til i got it all done. It was actually getting scary to drive.

Post Thanks / Like

I got mine done when it was barely borderline necessary. Don't wait. It's only gonna get worse.

Cataracts are the number cause of blindness in the world. This happens mainly in third world countries without access to decent medical care

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

21. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cataracts ?? My daddy had a Coupe Deville Cataracts, awesome car back then.

23. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I got mine done when it was barely borderline necessary. Don't wait. It's only gonna get worse.

Cataracts are the number cause of blindness in the world. This happens mainly in third world countries without access to decent medical care

My mistake was trying to appease customers. I was trying to complete 3 truck rebuilds, the last one was finished after the second eye was done. And it went a lot faster when I could see again. My eye surgeon was very alarmed at how fast the cataracts were growing and sent me for every blood test imaginable, no diabetes or any other condition that would accelerate cataracts, but he did admit that once they reach a certain point the vision goes fast and the deposits also cover the lens pocket. The longer you wait the harder it is to fix.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post

Oops. Too late to edit and correct my omission.

Should say cataracts are the number one cause of blindness.

:

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  fillFast_burst.gif
Views: 198
Size:  701 Bytes

code: WELDING I / $600.00
    24 Session(s)
    Tues, Thurs 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm , October 5 - December 23
    Class Details: Click Here

Instructor(s): Mauriceo Clase

Availability: 5 open seats

Just my opinion, but I think you would be better of investing your time and money in this course than buying another cheap welder. You will get more information about machines and processes in real world applications. You will also get to meet people with a common interest, some may have more experience than others. I have been sent to basic courses in welding, and cutting, and have always come away with some new information about something. Most important of all you will get immediate feedback on your welding from one reliable source. Try as we may here, its harder to learn over a forum vs. learning in a class. I would feel confident in saying you will come out of the course with the skills needed to do most of the projects you mentioned earlier. Or you could watch a lot of you tube videos, and practice , practice, and practice. Everybody learns differently, but most learn better with help.

Have you found a welding supplier yet? I have bought used equipment from AGL in Clifton , NJ. They are a family owned gas and welding supply company. I haven't been down that way in a while, but they were pretty good to my friend who had little welding knowledge and experience. They also rent equipment (saw a Miller 212 in the picture among others), and sell used rental equipment.

While you still have a 120v stick welder, I would also recommend using the Hobart 6011, and 6013 as they both run on lower amps than the comparable Lincoln welding rod, and the Hobart 6013 has a lot less slag to deal with. They might make learning a little easier for you.

Best of Luck

PS - I like the use of the burst graphic, somebody from the Graphics Design dept. just have been assigned to help.
    Last edited by albrightree; 08-03-2021 at 10:30 AM.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, that course looks pretty good. Clifton is right next to me, I will definitely check out AGL.

Post Thanks / Like

I been buying forney rods off Amazon. They had decent reviews, you ever try them?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, that course looks pretty good. Clifton is right next to me, I will definitely check out AGL.
    I took a course in welding at the local CC, and it was the best thing for my welding I ever could have done. I learned more in the first week than I probably learned on my own in the previous two years. And when you add up the poundage of rod and coupons you burn in a semester, the instruction is almost free!

Post Thanks / Like

I highly recommend taking at least a basic welding class at a CC. This will, or should, give you the basics to the craft and cover all the safety aspects to be aware of. They will cover oxy/acetylene cutting torches start up and shut down procedures hopefully. My advice to anyone serious about stick welding, after you get a 50Amp 220V circuit in your shop. Keep your eyes on all the for sale adds, trader, Craigslist, FB Marketplace, etc for a real AC/DC transformer welder. Many can be found in good shape at a great price with many more years a service in them. My personal preferences are the Lincoln Idealarc250 or a Miller Dialarc 250. Both are great machines and while very heavy (350lbs) they will serve you for many years. There are many others out there but these are my favorites

Steve

Miller Dialarc 250 (1990)
    Miller Maxstar 140 STR (2003)
    Lincoln SA200 Redface Pipeliner (1966)
    Lincoln MP210 (2015)
    Victor and MECO torches

31. Likes Welder Dave liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist