+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flux core wire

Post Thanks / Like

Flux core wire

Hey guys now that it's starting to warm up here in Wisconsin I am going to be doing more mig welding outside. Is there a good penetrating .035 flux core wire anyone recommends. Looking for something that will burn through some minor grease or paint or scale I am burning this in a old miller 200 I do have a 75/25 cylinder

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flux core wire

Are you using this outside. If so I would use .045 innershield . .035 really doesn't deposit much material and in my opinion is good for 1/4" or so max. Nr-211 mp would be my choice. You will need to run that wire electrode negative. As for dual shield, it's good stuff but rarely needed . If your welding 3/8" or so indoors it can be benificial but it's probably the most expensive route material wise as your using gas and a fairly expensive wire. As for the weather it seems like whenever we get a warm day it's accompanied by 20 mph winds as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I have some nr211 in 035 but I don't have a set of knurled drive rolls I don't know how critical the knurled rolls are

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a good vid where he breaks things down, shows the pros and cons, with 035 wire in the machine, and talks about the knurled rollers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paid-for View Post
    I have some nr211 in 035 but I don't have a set of knurled drive rolls I don't know how critical the knurled rolls are
    I couldn't tell you as I've always used knurled for flux core. I would try it and see, worst case is a birds nest.

Post Thanks / Like

fluxcore is very thin walled tube and the center is full of flux. the knurled rollers are designed to lighly grip and feed the wire without collapsing the walls. solid rollers would likely need far to much tension, probly distorting the wire so it doesnt feed through the liner correctly but also smashing the flux
    hypertherm powermax 30xp
    fronius transpocket 180
    fronius transsteel 2200
    fronius iwave 230i water cooled
    hobart handler 100

Post Thanks / Like

It more how thin the steel you welding.
    I use 0.030 E71T-11 works great for all my welding. It will thin gauge and up to 1/4"
    When was in business I used 0.052 wire with CO2.

Dave

Hey guys now that it's starting to warm up here in Wisconsin I am going to be doing more mig welding outside. Is there a good penetrating .035 flux core wire anyone recommends. Looking for something that will burn through some minor grease or paint or scale I am burning this in a old miller 200 I do have a 75/25 cylinder

Post Thanks / Like

Use Lincoln NR-211 .035 up to 1/4 inch. After that, go to .045 NR212.
    -Ruark
    "Become one with the puddle, grasshopper" - Welding Instructor
    Lincoln 3200HD
    Hobart Stickmate LX235
    TWECO Fabricator 211i

Post Thanks / Like

For flux core, whether its self sheilded or not you need at least one of the drive rolls to be knurled to make it feed, but 2 knurled rolls is better.

As far as size of the rolls go if they are undersized a bit it dont matter too much as long as they arent way under sized. I never realized it til this year when I finally replaced the drive rolls that came with my wire feeder 20 some years ago. The drive rolls that were in it were .045. I was running 1/16, .068, and .072 wire for years and never knew the difference....just adjust your drive rolls so they dont squash the wire.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist