+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winch mount. Feedback welcomed

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winch mount. Feedback welcomed

Quote Originally Posted by Gxjetmech View Post
    Ya I’m 54 and have bi focals. Ill try a set of cheaters, it’s worth a shot.
    Are yours the line bifocals ?? You may find the progressive will give a crisper view when you get accustomed to positioning your head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Are you looking through your glasses at the correct lens location? Sometimes weld position and sight line do not line up. Especially if your near sight lense is smaller or lower. I remove single vision glasses to weld. Even with bifocals it requires awkward head positions to position my eyes in correct location. I use a small weld lens, so i do not have much view adjustment inside my helmet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Are yours the line bifocals ?? You may find the progressive will give a crisper view when you get accustomed to positioning your head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I do have progressives.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Are you looking through your glasses at the correct lens location? Sometimes weld position and sight line do not line up. Especially if your near sight lense is smaller or lower. I remove single vision glasses to weld. Even with bifocals it requires awkward head positions to position my eyes in correct location. I use a small weld lens, so i do not have much view adjustment inside my helmet.
    The thing is I can see the puddle very clearly, but because I can’t lighten the shade of the hood anymore it leaves the surrounding area too dark and I can’t see where I’m going very well at all. So I’m limited to doing multiple short runs. If I didn’t have to keep stopping and starting my welds would be better I think.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd echo all the previous sentiments, add extra light, cheaters, block sunlight from the back of the hood, alignment between your glasses and the work.... plus, how old are the polycarbonate lenses in your helmet? They lose clarity over time aside from the obvious scratches... while you're adding the cheater, change the other lenses. I just changed the ones in my Hobart AD and it made a huge difference.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

6. Likes Gxjetmech liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a cheater lense in my AD hood and torch goggles because I can't look thru the lower portion of the progressives with either of them.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gxjetmech View Post
    The thing is I can see the puddle very clearly, but because I can’t lighten the shade of the hood anymore it leaves the surrounding area too dark and I can’t see where I’m going very well at all. So I’m limited to doing multiple short runs. If I didn’t have to keep stopping and starting my welds would be better I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I'd echo all the previous sentiments, add extra light, cheaters, block sunlight from the back of the hood, alignment between your glasses and the work.... plus, how old are the polycarbonate lenses in your helmet? They lose clarity over time aside from the obvious scratches... while you're adding the cheater, change the other lenses. I just changed the ones in my Hobart AD and it made a huge difference.
    More ambient light on the weld area will help you a lot given what you said. If you are getting sunlight behind your hood that will hurt your efforts too, so a shroud or something over the top/sides of your hood and head. Stick it on with some velcro but make sure it is denim or something that will stand up to weld spatter. They might sell shrouds like that too, as I know a hood I had that used a PAPR had something like that built into it to contain the filtered air.
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

9. Likes Gxjetmech liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If your progressive lens are transitions, they may be auto darkening along with the hood. Never could get progressive lens (or cheaters) to work for me under a hood. I'm extremely near-sighted - so I could weld without my glasses on if I could get within 6 - 8" of the work. I had prescription welding glasses made (not computer or reading glasses). A world of difference.
    Last edited by robert-r; 07-22-2021 at 07:17 PM.
    Millermatic 255
    Everlast Typhoon 330
    Ready Welder I
    Hypertherm 30XP

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist