Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 49 of 49

Thread: Unofficial break test - comments wanted

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unofficial break test - comments wanted

    Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Nothing wrong with that weld. Get real steel and bend towards the weld. That way is should break through the weld and you can examine the penetration. If it bends all the way you have an excellent weld. That is how AWS certified weld inspectors do a bend/break test.
    I'm satisfied with the weld. I'm just perplexed at why the base metal is so damn brittle.

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Lincoln Ranger 305g
    Miller X-Treme 8VS Suitcase Feeder
    Lincoln Powermig 210 MP
    Lincoln AC225 Tombstone
    Amico MMA-160

    Titanium Easy Flux 125
    A pile of grinders.

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Wheatland, Wyoming
    Posts
    454
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unofficial break test - comments wanted

    Try heating the next plate to dull red and let cool slowly, after cool to the touch weld and let cool to the touch and bend toward the weld. Breakage is happening in the heat affected zone. Research heat affected zone weld failures.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    4,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unofficial break test - comments wanted

    Just braze it,lol. That break look like a shear. With the Hf bender if you use their 90 degree bend attachment on 1/8 material, It will leave it brittle and a shot with a hammer while install brackets in under ground ventilation ductwork will cause a break like that.

    Perhap, that is another reason to bend it the other way.

    Cut it apart, let us see the root.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unofficial break test - comments wanted

    Ok I did another test on the 3/16. Welded on one side and bent towards the weld in the press. It was folded almost flat before it finally let go. What do you experienced guys make of this bend?Name:  20210721_204012.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  95.1 KBName:  20210721_204235.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  108.6 KBName:  20210721_204244.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  74.8 KBName:  20210721_204252.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  77.5 KB

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Lincoln Ranger 305g
    Miller X-Treme 8VS Suitcase Feeder
    Lincoln Powermig 210 MP
    Lincoln AC225 Tombstone
    Amico MMA-160

    Titanium Easy Flux 125
    A pile of grinders.

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unofficial break test - comments wanted

    Tomorrow I'm going to follow up with a hardwire MIG test as well as a 7018 test on the same material. I will post the results. I may also do a test with some .030 Hobart 21B Fabshield. I'm not overly impressed with the way the NR211 broke in the bend test.

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Lincoln Ranger 305g
    Miller X-Treme 8VS Suitcase Feeder
    Lincoln Powermig 210 MP
    Lincoln AC225 Tombstone
    Amico MMA-160

    Titanium Easy Flux 125
    A pile of grinders.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    729
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unofficial break test - comments wanted

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_D View Post
    Ok I did another test on the 3/16. Welded on one side and bent towards the weld in the press. It was folded almost flat before it finally let go. What do you experienced guys make of this bend?Name:  20210721_204012.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  95.1 KBName:  20210721_204235.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  108.6 KBName:  20210721_204244.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  74.8 KBName:  20210721_204252.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  77.5 KB

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_D View Post
    Tomorrow I'm going to follow up with a hardwire MIG test as well as a 7018 test on the same material. I will post the results. I may also do a test with some .030 Hobart 21B Fabshield. I'm not overly impressed with the way the NR211 broke in the bend test.

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    That looks more like what it should, similar to a MIG or 7018 break, that looks good to me.

    I wouldn't be upset if I had that weld on one of my jobs.

  7. Likes Mark_D liked this post
  8. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,772
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unofficial break test - comments wanted

    That's how it should break, in the middle of the weld, but that isn't the best weld with porosity and the huge crater. The problem with using a press is it can be hard tell how much stronger or weaker different filler metals are. 7018 and Mig will often fold over and have to hit or twisted back the other way.

    I don't think the 1st break was a HAZ break. I think the piece was too hot and not mild steel.

  9. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    central Wis.
    Posts
    5,794
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unofficial break test - comments wanted

    That looks more like it should. Work on the craters as that is where the break is starting.

  10. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unofficial break test - comments wanted

    Here is a test for the .035 mig wire with 75/25 gas. I know the weld looks cold. It was at 21v and 350 ipm. It bent all the way over without breaking.Name:  20210723_004742.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  71.9 KBName:  20210723_005215.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  48.2 KBName:  20210723_005204.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  78.5 KBName:  20210723_005152.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  98.7 KB

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Lincoln Ranger 305g
    Miller X-Treme 8VS Suitcase Feeder
    Lincoln Powermig 210 MP
    Lincoln AC225 Tombstone
    Amico MMA-160

    Titanium Easy Flux 125
    A pile of grinders.

  11. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unofficial break test - comments wanted

    Here is the test for the 7018. 3/32" rod straight out of the oven at 80 Amps. It broke as easily as the NR-211 did. Surprised me. MIG wins so far. In the next day or two I will do one testing Hobart 21b wire.Name:  20210723_004746.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  91.2 KBName:  20210723_005234.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  100.1 KB

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Lincoln Ranger 305g
    Miller X-Treme 8VS Suitcase Feeder
    Lincoln Powermig 210 MP
    Lincoln AC225 Tombstone
    Amico MMA-160

    Titanium Easy Flux 125
    A pile of grinders.

  12. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,772
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unofficial break test - comments wanted

    The last weld has some strength but would fail a break test. The way a single sided fillet weld is fit creates a natural crack on the opposite side in the middle of the weld/plates. The break should be for the most part in the middle of the weld. It looks like there is slight undercut along the top edge that is likely where the crack originated. Another factor in doing a break test is the weld needs to be the same size as the 2 plates that are welded, IE/ 1/4" plate requires a 1/4" fillet or 3/16" plate requires a 3/16" fillet. Here is one of CEP's break tests which I asked if he could do. It is slightly undersize but shows how it should break. It also clearly demonstrates why we are not fans of 6013. When I have more time I'll try to find his other break tests. 7018 took 18 blows out of the package to break and 22 I think out of a rod oven. It also had to be beat back the other way to break off.

    https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/c...oolt&th=293747

  13. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unofficial break test - comments wanted

    Ok I tested some .030 Hobart 21b tonight. I didn't get any pictures, but it broke as easily if not a bit sooner than the NR211 did. Solid wire MIG easily wins this competition over flux core and 7018. I was a bit surprised at the results.

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mark_D; 07-25-2021 at 01:30 AM.
    Lincoln Ranger 305g
    Miller X-Treme 8VS Suitcase Feeder
    Lincoln Powermig 210 MP
    Lincoln AC225 Tombstone
    Amico MMA-160

    Titanium Easy Flux 125
    A pile of grinders.

  14. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unofficial break test - comments wanted

    On another note, the Hobart 21b seems to be a bit more forceful and maybe not quite as smooth as the Lincoln NR211 on this machine. However both are very smooth with almost zero spatter. The Hobart seems to like to run at a little bit lower voltage. Going forward I will probably buy the Hobart since it comes in 2lb spools vs the Lincoln's 1lb spools (this machine does not accept 10lb spools). I'm thoroughly impressed with this 110v inverter flux machine and going forth it is going to get a lot of use. I have a feeling it may be the most used repair machine in the shop.

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mark_D; 07-25-2021 at 01:45 AM.
    Lincoln Ranger 305g
    Miller X-Treme 8VS Suitcase Feeder
    Lincoln Powermig 210 MP
    Lincoln AC225 Tombstone
    Amico MMA-160

    Titanium Easy Flux 125
    A pile of grinders.

  15. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unofficial break test - comments wanted

    After a bit of thought, I've decided I'm going to continue this break test with some 7014 and 6011. Results to follow soon.

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Lincoln Ranger 305g
    Miller X-Treme 8VS Suitcase Feeder
    Lincoln Powermig 210 MP
    Lincoln AC225 Tombstone
    Amico MMA-160

    Titanium Easy Flux 125
    A pile of grinders.

  16. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    729
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unofficial break test - comments wanted

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_D View Post
    On another note, the Hobart 21b seems to be a bit more forceful and maybe not quite as smooth as the Lincoln NR211 on this machine. However both are very smooth with almost zero spatter. The Hobart seems to like to run at a little bit lower voltage. Going forward I will probably buy the Hobart since it comes in 2lb spools vs the Lincoln's 1lb spools (this machine does not accept 10lb spools). I'm thoroughly impressed with this 110v inverter flux machine and going forth it is going to get a lot of use. I have a feeling it may be the most used repair machine in the shop.

    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    it seems crazy to me to be looking at a machine that wont accept 10lb spools, I just went from one machine to another partially because I was limited in what wires I could get in a 10 LB spool, I needed to be able to use 33 lb spools.

  17. #41
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unofficial break test - comments wanted

    Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post
    it seems crazy to me to be looking at a machine that wont accept 10lb spools, I just went from one machine to another partially because I was limited in what wires I could get in a 10 LB spool, I needed to be able to use 33 lb spools.
    I originally thought this would be a bad thing. However, this is not a machine that I'm going to use for large scale fabrication. Using the small spools will force me to keep fresh wire in the machine and avoid the problems of humidity-soaked wire.


    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Lincoln Ranger 305g
    Miller X-Treme 8VS Suitcase Feeder
    Lincoln Powermig 210 MP
    Lincoln AC225 Tombstone
    Amico MMA-160

    Titanium Easy Flux 125
    A pile of grinders.

  18. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
  19. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    729
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unofficial break test - comments wanted

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_D View Post
    I originally thought this would be a bad thing. However, this is not a machine that I'm going to use for large scale fabrication. Using the small spools will force me to keep fresh wire in the machine and avoid the problems of humidity-soaked wire.


    Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    I more so mean variety of wires available, i couldn't find a reliable supply of .035 dual shield, and couldn't find -8 self shield at all in 10 lb spools, I'd imagine going down more to 1-2lb spools would make that problem worse.

    For what your using this for it makes perfect sense, if I could buy HF machines here is have one for the price they're asking for the convenience of a tiny mig without gas.

  20. Likes Mark_D liked this post
  21. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Laredo, Tx
    Posts
    5,803
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unofficial break test - comments wanted

    Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post
    i couldn't find a reliable supply of .035 dual shield
    Email Amy @ Blue Demon. 035 dual shield is roughly $60 per 33lb 12" spool (when I inquired about cost late last year), but you have to pay shipping, so you'd need to order a few spools to make it worth your while (so it can go out by freight as opposed to UPS/FedEx ground type of shipment). That reminds me; I really should finalize that order, she went above and beyond to source a few 040-diameter wire spools for me.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!



  22. #44
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,578
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unofficial break test - comments wanted

    Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post
    I more so mean variety of wires available, i couldn't find a reliable supply of .035 dual shield, and couldn't find -8 self shield at all in 10 lb spools, I'd imagine going down more to 1-2lb spools would make that problem worse.

    For what your using this for it makes perfect sense, if I could buy HF machines here is have one for the price they're asking for the convenience of a tiny mig without gas.
    lincoln got t-8 in 12.5 lb spools, and the .035 dual shield

  23. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    5,636
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unofficial break test - comments wanted

    A-36 will yield before the weld yields. If it yields outside of the weld zone, your weld was fine. In this case, it yielded above the upper weld toe, so it's simply a matter of the steel yielding. 36Ksi steel vs. 70Ksi weld.

  24. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    5,636
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unofficial break test - comments wanted

    Aw Hell...........so many pics, I'm not sure which set I responded to

  25. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,772
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unofficial break test - comments wanted

    In order to do a proper break test, you have make sure the weld is the proper size to match the plate. You can't just do a random weld and break it. The example I showed of CEP's break test is how it is done. His 6013 test was just slightly under size (1/32") but still broke in the weld. It's still a crude way of testing weld strength but he broke all his tests with the same hammer where he could better judge how strong each weld was. In a press you don't have much way of knowing how much stronger or weaker each weld/rod is. All of CEP's break tests broke primarily in the weld.
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 07-27-2021 at 12:13 PM.

  26. #48
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,423
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unofficial break test - comments wanted

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_D View Post
    I can confirm this is mild steel.
    Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Just how? I've been welding heavy equipment back together for 40+ years and have never seen mild break like that.
    Get a new piece of it, get it red hot, quench it in water.

    Hold in a vise and try to break it off with a hammer.

    If it breaks in the water quench or with the hammer, it's probably not mild steel.


    Bed frames look like thin angle iron, but they are often hardened steel so they can use thinner material.

  27. #49
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    642
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Unofficial break test - comments wanted

    It's breaking in the HAZ.
    -Ruark
    "Become one with the puddle, grasshopper" - Welding Instructor
    Lincoln 3200HD
    Hobart Stickmate LX235
    TWECO Fabricator 211i

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,632,509,161.97173 seconds with 15 queries