+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Miller 2009 302 airpak fuel tank removal

Post Thanks / Like

Miller 2009 302 airpak fuel tank removal

The interior rubber of the gas cap disintegrated into my fuel tank. Keeps clogging my fuel line. I need to clean it. Trying to figure how to remove the fuel tank it looks like I need to disconnect quite a bit. It would seem you could lift off using the frame of the machine to to contain the guts but the Engine mount bolts,Air compressor lines and some wiring need to be removed? Anyhow, anyone ever have to do one of these?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Miller 2009 302 airpak fuel tank removal

Quote Originally Posted by hammertimes View Post
    The interior rubber of the gas cap disintegrated into my fuel tank. Keeps clogging my fuel line.
    Can you just substitute a MUCH larger fuel filter, or add a large filter to the line right out of the tank?

A better filter might be WAY better than risking disassembly of the welder,,
    A large filter will easily capture the bits of rubber, and never have an issue,,

Post Thanks / Like

It’s clogging the inlet at the bottom of the pickup . No fuel gets to the filter. Pretty good sized chunks. But yeah I would rather not tear it apart

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to say use a shop vac but then I remembered that the fumes would be going through the fan motor with brushes arcing!

Post Thanks / Like

Siphon the fuel out. Let the interior get dry, then try to blow/sweep the crumbs to the fill side to get them. If you have a vacuum pump you can draw a vacuum on a container, then use a hose and valve to suck up the crumbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I was thinking about trying to suck out all the pieces. But don’t want to go kaboom. There is a similar question for a trailblazer 302 on the miller forum. Answer was unbolt the bottom tray and the tank can be pulled out after lifting using the lift eyelet. I stared at it long enough to figure that’s not how it works on the airpak.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    Siphon the fuel out. Let the interior get dry, then try to blow/sweep the crumbs to the fill side to get them. If you have a vacuum pump you can draw a vacuum on a container, then use a hose and valve to suck up the crumbs.
    I think this is really the only solution. I don’t see another way. Maybe tilt the machine somewhat and let gravity bundle up the debris, drain it and on the accessible side try to suck it up

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is really the only solution. I don’t see another way. Maybe tilt the machine somewhat and let gravity bundle up the debris, drain it and on the accessible side try to suck it up
    There are air hose powered portable vacuums,,

9. Likes Patrick Cobbs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to know. I will google. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know. I will google. Thank you
    It is called a venturi vacuum,, $36 on Amazon,,

I like the cute little black bag on the vacuum,,
    Toss that, and let it spew the rubber bits wherever,, OTHER than inside of the tank!!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post
    It is called a venturi vacuum,, $36 on Amazon,,

I like the cute little black bag on the vacuum,,
    Toss that, and let it spew the rubber bits wherever,, OTHER than inside of the tank!!
    In a pinch you can use a length of 1-1.25" hose and a tube tipped blowgun, cut a small slit in the hose about 8" from the discharge end and insert the tip into the hose in the direction you want the junk to flow. Makes a pretty strong vacuum, used to use that trick to suck metal chips out of the bevel gear case on big dozers and other equipment. We would tape a burlap sack to the hose to catch the chips.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    In a pinch you can use a length of 1-1.25" hose and a tube tipped blowgun, cut a small slit in the hose about 8" from the discharge end and insert the tip into the hose in the direction you want the junk to flow. Makes a pretty strong vacuum, used to use that trick to suck metal chips out of the bevel gear case on big dozers and other equipment. We would tape a burlap sack to the hose to catch the chips.
    That’s a good one. I can totally see that working. I have the fuel drained I am going to remove all the goobers tomorrow and hopefully be back at it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kize View Post
    I need to get one of these

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist