+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello from British Columbia.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello from British Columbia.

Hi.

First time posting. I have some welding experience with stick and MIG welding. I have an old Hobart TR300 welder and a Marquette MIG welder. Both I use for repairing machinery and making things around the farm. The welds may not be pretty but they work for me. The neighbouring farmer makes welding visits for repairs.

As of yesterday I acquired a very old (I suspect it maybe was manufactured in the 60s) Linde DAL300 HFGW TIG welder. This unit was made in Canada under licence from Harnischfeger corporation. So it is I believe similar to a P&H TIG welder. What I am interested in is if anyone has any information on this unit as I have no idea as yet of how to set it up or how to weld with it (the unit had no documentation). Will remove the cover soon to see if there is a circuit diagram on the inside cover.

I have aluminium irrigation pipe which I have to repair from time to time. This will be useful for that and as another means to repair items that the stick or MIG are not ideal. I also look forward to learning how to TIG weld.

Thanks in advance.

Terry

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hello from British Columbia.

Welcome to the forum,,
    My brother, and I once visited a man who owned a gold mine in Prince George BC,, a LOT of years ago,,

We were shocked to find how far it was between gas stations ,,,

BUT, we did find some gold,, and had a great time,,

Start welding, then start a thread with a specific question,, answers will pop up,,,

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum from another BC farmer (also named Terry). LOL

Have fun with your irrigation pipe repairs and mods...

IMO forget about repairing cracks or corrosion on used aluminum pipe. I use band type SS truck muffler clamps and inner tube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Terry. I have used those clamps also. My field is hilly (Drumlins from the ice sheet dropping all that glacial clay and boulders ) and the wheel move line gets put under a lot of bending and torque causing cracks to appear at the auto drain holes and pipe failure even when I added the clamps.

The local welding shop took 3 months to repair two parted aluminium pipe sections hence my purchase of the old TIG welder. Now I need to learn how to use it.

Terry

5. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

As an update I managed to wire in the welder to my electrical panel 100+ amp breaker and I have used it to stick weld and tried to TIG weld some aluminium. I have to practice TIG for sure. The good news is the unit works.

I have a few questions.

1) Can I leave a short welding lead connected along with the TIG leads? Makes it easier when I go back to stick welding again.

2) This Linde version of the P&H unit does not have the intensity or phase shift knobs. It does have a S.I.G.M.A socket and switch does anyone know what that is for? My wiring diagram for the unit is dishevelled and bits are missing.

3) The previous owner disconnected the water solenoid I am thinking of re installing that function as I have mains water connected to the torch. Is there any reason to leave the solenoid disconnected.?
    Last edited by LindeDAL300; 08-17-2021 at 11:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  Linde DAL300.png
Views: 362
Size:  1,018.6 KB
    The SIGMA control is to the right of the foot pedal leads.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LindeDAL300 View Post
    Hi.

First time posting. I have some welding experience with stick and MIG welding. I have an old Hobart TR300 welder and a Marquette MIG welder. Both I use for repairing machinery and making things around the farm. The welds may not be pretty but they work for me. The neighbouring farmer makes welding visits for repairs.

I have aluminium irrigation pipe which I have to repair from time to time. This will be useful for that and as another means to repair items that the stick or MIG are not ideal. I also look forward to learning how to TIG weld.

Thanks in advance.

Terry
    I prefer Hobart weld for aluminium more than Linde. But anyways nice choice. Goof luck with your reparation!
    No matter what happens, always try to be conscious.

11. Likes LindeDAL300 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Terry, welcome to the forum. I believe that ESAB has taken over the linde line up of machines and may be able to help you out with info. Good people. Also, got some great folks in here that will be more than willing to help you out.

13. Likes LindeDAL300 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE.Dee View Post
    Terry, welcome to the forum. I believe that ESAB has taken over the linde line up of machines and may be able to help you out with info. Good people. Also, got some great folks in here that will be more than willing to help you out.
    Thanks. I sent a message asking for information on the unit to ESAB, but they said they had nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Your welder looks like good.
    I would pull cover and clean the dust out. 🤧

Dave

Hi.

As of yesterday I acquired a very old (I suspect it maybe was manufactured in the 60s) Linde DAL300 HFGW TIG welder. This unit was made in Canada under licence from Harnischfeger corporation. So it is I believe similar to a P&H TIG welder. What I am interested in is if anyone has any information on this unit as I have no idea as yet of how to set it up or how to weld with it (the unit had no documentation). Will remove the cover soon to see if there is a circuit diagram on the inside cover.

Thanks in advance.

Terry

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I removed all the covers when I first got the welder. It was pretty clean already. I guess the 7hour journey from the other side of BC had blown out most of the dust that had accumulated. Since I now have used it for stick and a trail aluminium TIG weld next I am trying to understand how to set up the SIGMA (MIG) function on this unit. The wiring diagram I have is hard for me to interpret- not my forte.

I have a Hobart S62 wire feeder that needs 24volt ac to power it. The Linde has a 24volt circuit which I hope to use to power the wire feeder. Just not sure how to set it all up. There is a Hart 3 pin socket next to the sigma switch on the front of the welder. When I switch to SIGMA mode a different contactor is activated I assume that means a different circuit is then engaged for MIG use. However using a multi-meter I can not determine what the Hart 3 pin socket is for. No voltage detected?

Any help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

let me contact my cousing. that machine of your looks familiar to one his son may have. NO promises.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  snip_20210930191309.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  136.8 KB This is what I have for a wiring diagram.Name:  Sigma.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  79.3 KB
    Last edited by LindeDAL300; 09-30-2021 at 10:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

. However using a multi-meter I can not determine what the Hart 3 pin socket is for. No voltage detected?
    From your diagram, if you mean the socket labelled SIGMA, I would suppose that it is where the trigger of your MIG gun or whatever control connection from the wire feeder would connect to control the contactor so the welding wire is not always hot. Without knowing what was disconnected (solenoid) it is possible that may affect the voltage that would appear at the socket. There may also be front panel switch selections that could affect it. The relay may be powered from the feeder when the sigma switch is engaged.But it is all just guessing from here.
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Gives me somethings to consider and read up on/ask questions from more learned people. I will remove the covers again and try and follow the wiring. I tend to be cautious around electrical equipment as it takes me a while to figure things out. I get there eventually most times.

I will have to make an adapter for the 14 pin plug from the Hobart S62 wire feeder I have. Then I can use the multimeter to gather more
    Information on the control logic. Without a manual it is hard.

Appreciate all the responses.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist