Thread: Newbie first Lincoln tig purchase

Post Thanks / Like

Newbie first Lincoln tig purchase

Okay so I figured I would get a tig machine so I could learn how to do it, ended up buying the Precision tig 275 K2618-1 ready- pak https://ch-delivery.lincolnelectric....1ac?v=a7bd94aa

I bought it from a collage used and they have a Hubbell 460p7w 60A plug on it, so I have 100a in the garage and was told to get a 100a plug working on that now and finding out just the plugs cost as much as a tank of argon+.

So I have looked through the threads and didn't see much about this model, so I take it I that it's not popular? I just want to mess around and try some tig on aluminum and stainless steel figured this would work.
    Did I mess up with buying this model?

2. Likes OPUS FERRO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie first Lincoln tig purchase

Quote Originally Posted by fishing4fun2 View Post
    Okay so I figured I would get a tig machine so I could learn how to do it, ended up buying the Precision tig 275 K2618-1 ready- pak https://ch-delivery.lincolnelectric....1ac?v=a7bd94aa

I bought it from a collage used and they have a Hubbell 460p7w 60A plug on it, so I have 100a in the garage and was told to get a 100a plug working on that now and finding out just the plugs cost as much as a tank of argon+.

So I have looked through the threads and didn't see much about this model, so I take it I that it's not popular? I just want to mess around and try some tig on aluminum and stainless steel figured this would work.
    Did I mess up with buying this model?
    I asked if three phase then looked it up. In practical world you can buy a 60 amp receptacle & plug, it'll work fine. There are bigger plugs available but price will be a shock.
    If it was mine I'd hard wire it with a disconnect.

2020 NEC calls for a GFCI if plug connected.
    Last edited by Willie B; 07-23-2021 at 08:06 AM.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

You should check the owner's manual. That machine is going to draw 124 amps at full output. Lincoln recommends 4 gauge feeders for that beast. Technically your 100 amps in the garage is not enough. You can probably get by with smaller feed wires and a 60 amp plug as Willie suggested, but don't try to open that welder to full throttle.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

I went with the Leviton 3100C6W 100A 2P3-W 250VAC Connector and now just need the plug, yeah the price on some of those plugs are expensive, that's an idea to hard wire it with a disconnect.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the amperage draw is up there so I called Lincoln and asked about the Power Factor Capacitor K1831-1 and there a custom special order, it's nothing they stock and have to have them made, they look like this-->Name:  k1831_1.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  27.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the amperage draw is up there so I called Lincoln and asked about the Power Factor Capacitor K1831-1 and there a custom special order, it's nothing they stock and have to have them made, they look like this-->Name:  k1831_1.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  27.2 KB
    They will drive your power consumption up.

Industrial facilities don't have capacitors for each motor, they have capacitor banks. If load is steady it is not difficult to bring online a precisely valued capacitor bank.

Capacitor systems are primitive, or sophisticated. Sophisticated systems address other power quality problems also. Simplest systems include capacitors only. Slightly more complex react to power factor & switch capacitors on as needed.

Welders I know of use a fixed capacitor. Since you aren't always at full capacity, most of the time you have too much capacitance.

Capacitors lower peak load, but draw power when not at peak load. I justify them to make a weak service to building functional, or for industrial consumers where power factor is a factor of cost. In my garage I'll not want them.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Willie, there is like about everything I don't know so you input helps me make decisions,I think I will ditch the capacitor thought and just go with upgrading the house to a 200a service and run some 2-2-2-4 Copper to the garage right now its aluminum 2-2-2-4 fun city getting ready to use this tig welder and a plasma cutter I got this year, no experience what so ever but giving it a shot.

9. Likes angelo c liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Willie, there is like about everything I don't know so you input helps me make decisions,I think I will ditch the capacitor thought and just go with upgrading the house to a 200a service and run some 2-2-2-4 Copper to the garage right now its aluminum 2-2-2-4 fun city getting ready to use this tig welder and a plasma cutter I got this year, no experience what so ever but giving it a shot.
    My 280 amp inverter uses 37 amps at 240 volts. Nothing wrong with an upgrade to 200, but be sure the power company will supply it with 200 amps. I had a 15KW transformer I share with two other homes. They bumped it to 25KW, then 37.5 KW That's 156 Amps. It works OK, transformers are designed for overload briefly.

Some weigh the cost of upgraded power & opt for inverter welders instead. My Dynasty 280DX was NOT cheap, but probably about equal to the cost of a service upgrade. I already had a Dialarc 250HF capable of about the same mass aluminum, it swallowed 95 amps at full power. Square wave power sources are capable of thicker aluminum by virtue of more of the energy used to heat the work, less heating the torch.

Post Thanks / Like

Before you go spending a bunch of money upgrading the electric service, try the machine with what you have. I'll bet a paycheck you can run that machine on an 80A breaker (230V) and never trip it.

My Miller TIG is listed as pulling 96A at 250A of output. Your Lincoln is listed as pulling 94A at 275A output....both on 230V service. Those numbers are close enough to give a reasonable idea of what will work for yours. I've been running my machine on a 60A breaker for a couple of years and have never once tripped it. I don't recall maxing the machine out at 310A, but I've run it in the 250-275A regularly on aluminum for extended periods and never tripped the breaker.

That's not a lucky coincidence either, because in the same time frame I've run almost 20 other similar machines on the same outlet/breaker combo and they've all worked perfectly.

Trying it with what you've got has almost no downside...the absolute worst that could happen is you have a trip here and there and then decide to upgrade and all you've lost is the price of a breaker. The flip side is a guaranteed expense that's going to add up to quite a big bill.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

12. Likes fishing4fun2 liked this post