Thread: Help needed on CP200 conversion

Post Thanks / Like

Help needed on CP200 conversion

Hi guys long time forum creeper first time poster.Professionally I'm a fabricator in a stainless steel shop so we Tig everything so it's been awhile since I've done and short circuit.

I found a cp200 power source with a xra wire feeder for 250 but the gun was well worn out and didn't seem cost effective to fix. A couple days later I found an S-60 with psa-2 adapter for 200 and then a 250 amp tough gun whip for 50.

All in all I feel like I was coming in at a good price for it. I did the conversion last night and powered it up and everything seemed to be working so I hooked up the S-60 and I hit the purge switch and gas flowed, feeder worked at varying speeds at the switch. I tested it on the whip and the only thing to work was the rollers. I'm not sure what to call it but the arc switch in the welder did not engage.

I damn near emptied a can of contact cleaner on hoping something was messed up but that did nothing.

Let it sit overnight before I realized I never tested the xra on it. That worked fine, I had gas, wire, and the arc switch engaged.

I looked at the plugs, they are both the 14 pin but wired very differently. I'm hoping that this is where someone here would be able to point me in right direction to get the ball rolling.

These are from the S-60

These two shots are from the xra.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help needed on CP200 conversion

First the CP-200 is a 115 volt feeder control only. You have the psa-2 adapter. It has a transformer and a relay in the box. The welder side of the psa-2 might have several plugs that adapt it to the welder. From the psa-2 out will be a standard miller 14 pin plug. Take your serial numbers to millerwelds.com and look up the owners manuals. for the welder and the feeder and xra cabinet. You might have to call Miller for a copy of the psa-2 install guide.
    Inside the feeder manual is a pin function list for the pins the feeder uses. Pin A,B and G are all that are needed to use a 24 volt miller feeder. A and B is welder contactor control. A to G is 24vac power for the feeder. These are the only pins that will work with your welder. If you had a different welder then C,D.E are used to control the welder out put. H and F are used for meter voltages from the welder to the feeder. The feeder will use them if it has a meter kit. This feeder can be set up with a meter kit and it uses a wire that clips to the weldment. instead of using H and F. The XRA cabinet can be done the same way, with a clip.
    The XRA cable should have CDEHF pins which you can't use. IT should have the external voltage clip for it to work at it best. Pins G and K are both connected to the same place in a miller welder. But are used differently. One is safety ground and the other is a neutral for the 115 volt circuits. Picture 3 plugs into picture 1. The extra pins are not needed with your welder. If the PSA-2 is working the system should work. Quick test is to jumper sockets A to B and see if the welder contactor pulls in. If it does PSA-2 is ok and usable. To tell you about the XR cabinet I will need the serial number. they made several different types. Some run on 24vac and some on 115 vac. The cord might be universal just connect up the wire s to the pins you need. If the XR cabinet connect directly to the welder with a 14 pin y plug.
    Then it should be the 115 volt version. Manuals are all on the web site I was just looking at them. even the PSA-2.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    First the CP-200 is a 115 volt feeder control only. You have the psa-2 adapter. It has a transformer and a relay in the box. The welder side of the psa-2 might have several plugs that adapt it to the welder. From the psa-2 out will be a standard miller 14 pin plug. Take your serial numbers to millerwelds.com and look up the owners manuals. for the welder and the feeder and xra cabinet. You might have to call Miller for a copy of the psa-2 install guide.
    Inside the feeder manual is a pin function list for the pins the feeder uses. Pin A,B and G are all that are needed to use a 24 volt miller feeder. A and B is welder contactor control. A to G is 24vac power for the feeder. These are the only pins that will work with your welder. If you had a different welder then C,D.E are used to control the welder out put. H and F are used for meter voltages from the welder to the feeder. The feeder will use them if it has a meter kit. This feeder can be set up with a meter kit and it uses a wire that clips to the weldment. instead of using H and F. The XRA cabinet can be done the same way, with a clip.
    The XRA cable should have CDEHF pins which you can't use. IT should have the external voltage clip for it to work at it best. Pins G and K are both connected to the same place in a miller welder. But are used differently. One is safety ground and the other is a neutral for the 115 volt circuits. Picture 3 plugs into picture 1. The extra pins are not needed with your welder. If the PSA-2 is working the system should work. Quick test is to jumper sockets A to B and see if the welder contactor pulls in. If it does PSA-2 is ok and usable. To tell you about the XR cabinet I will need the serial number. they made several different types. Some run on 24vac and some on 115 vac. The cord might be universal just connect up the wire s to the pins you need. If the XR cabinet connect directly to the welder with a 14 pin y plug.
    Then it should be the 115 volt version. Manuals are all on the web site I was just looking at them. even the PSA-2.
    I appreciate all of this input as I think it will help greatly, and I hope you can help with the diagnosis my maintenance guy at work has been coming up with. The PSA-2 seems to be working fine, it seems to be an issue within the feeder. When pulling the trigger the only thing to work is the wire feeder. I get no voltage to the gas selanoid and I get no voltage back to the ice cube relay. I think I have to start looking at the purge feed switch or a broken wire.

Post Thanks / Like

No gas valve and no welder signal. relay on feeder pcb is not working.
    Very small black box relay. should be near the harness plug the gas valve wiring is in.
    The only question is did the relay break or wear out. Or did the control circuit fail.
    Might be able to probe the pcb relay terminals and see if the coil voltage is there.
    If so solder in a new relay. If no control voltage something else has died on the pcb.

Post Thanks / Like

So I'm not entirely sure if I tested it the right way but I gave it an attempt.

I gave it a light little wack with the rubber end of a screw driver and started hearing audible clicking from it, but it didn't change anything. I taped the trigger down on the whip and started probing.

If the trigger was not depressed I did not get any voltage unless I probed the center terminal to one of the 4 surround terminals. And then the voltage was in the neighborhood of about 16.
    With the trigger pressed and going across I read 25-27 volts on the top two sets but nothing on the bottom set. Am I right in believing this relay as failed and I should replace it or is there something else I should be testing?

Post Thanks / Like

I ended up replacing the board with another used one and everything seems to be working great. Gonna try and fix the old board as a back up.