+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New CWI looking for side work

Post Thanks / Like

New CWI looking for side work

Recently got my CWI. Looking to do inspections on the side, not looking to hire on anywhere. Looking for advice on how to find customers. I live in CT, willing to travel around New England and NY. Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New CWI looking for side work

First thing you will need to do is get Errors and Omissions insurance, otherwise you are looking the possibility of a law suit of something "goes wrong or missed" in an inspection and most companies won't let you on site without a couple million dollars of commercial liability insurance also. There's more to doing "third party" inspections than just being a CWI, I would suggest doing some more looking into the "coverage" side if you don't have this covered.

Post Thanks / Like

I think RideKTM350 makes a good point.

You might find some work that’s lower risk in witnessing welder qualifications for students at some of the smaller local welding programs. Sometimes the vocational school instructors are not CWIs and they need one to witness weld tests for their students. It’s not big $$$, but it can be good part time work.
    Benson's Mobile Welding - Dayton, OH metro area - AWS Certified Welding Inspector

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PWF View Post
    Recently got my CWI. Looking to do inspections on the side, not looking to hire on anywhere. Looking for advice on how to find customers. I live in CT, willing to travel around New England and NY. Thanks,
    if its a structure/building, i'd think u'd need to be on that particular citys apprved list of inspectors. so, if u dont have that, or ins/paper work , u can try some east indian owned manufactures, they'll do anything .

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist