Thread: Lincoln 216 or Hobart Ironman 240

Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln 216 or Hobart Ironman 240

Gave my Lincoln 180 to my son last year. Came across an new Lincoln 216 at my farm store that has been collecting dust for the last 3 yes. The price tag is still $2299.

The 216 and the Hobart Ironman both look to be a 250 amp welders. The Hobart is only around $1700 and has 10 taps vs 7 for the Lincoln. Donít know how the mig guns or feeder assemblies compare.

Which one of these is the better machine?

Thanks in advance.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lincoln 216 or Hobart Ironman 240

The Ironman is not tapped, it has infinite voltage adjustment.
    Miller Multimatic 255

3. Likes angelo c liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You are right, I just looked at the specs. I must have looked at specs for the wrong machine before, maybe the older version.

With price and infinite voltage in favor of the Ironman, does the Lincoln have anything going for it?

Post Thanks / Like

I have the lincoln 216. No issues with it. But I would either negotiate a better deal or go cheaper. What wire will you run? The 216 will not accept small spools without an adapter and no .030 wire without additional rollers.

Post Thanks / Like

I hate miller/hobart arc. But, i would get used to it for $400 over an obsolete machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by El Greco View Post
    You are right, I just looked at the specs. I must have looked at specs for the wrong machine before, maybe the older version.

With price and infinite voltage in favor of the Ironman, does the Lincoln have anything going for it?
    There's actually a difference in power between the two machines. The 216 has a max output of 250A and a 60% duty cycle at 170A. The Ironman 240 has a max output of 280A and a 60% duty cycle at 200A, so a fair bit more power and duty cycle.

You probably looked at the specs for the Ironman 230, which did have taps.

The Ironman 240 is essentially a stripped down Millermatic 252 with less features. I've compared the parts lists for both machines and most of the part numbers are identical. You lose digital displays, adjustable pre/post-flow, spot and stitch timers and push/pull gun compatibility, but can still add a spool gun.

I don't see how the Lincoln can compare even if it were the same price....less power, tapped settings, etc. The bigger issue I would have is that Lincoln seems to be supporting their machines for around 10 years maximum as far as spare parts go, and the 216 has been already discontinued while the Ironman is a new model that should be supported for quite some time.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies, all good information.

With my old machine I used mostly.035 flux core and a some .023 -.025 hardwire for auto panels. The Ironman sounds like the way to go.