Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Log Splitter Wedge Rail Bent

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Log Splitter Wedge Rail Bent

Oh, yea, I forgot to mention, the ONLY weld I EVER had break on a splitter was done with 6013 rod,,
    (the wedge snapped off the beam, that was back in 1982)

After it broke, I welded it back with 6011, and that splitter never broke again,,

My "SPLITTER" is used more as a press, than as a splitter, I bend steel and other things like that all the time,,

That is a pic of the second insert, it is a giant "tube" that I can put pieces of steel in, and do various bends,,
    or use it as a base for press type operations,
    so my machine gets serious twisting, all the time.

2. Likes Kelvin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty cool, SweetMK. I've considered making "attachments" to use my log splitter that way...

Post Thanks / Like

Early in the reading of Lincoln Welding handbook they discuss and give examples weld joint design and discuss potential flaws.

A broken weld does not always mean bad weld.

That is some serious force. And its tendency is to rise up or sideways as it pushes against the wood.

So, follow sweekmk's example and look to redesign.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    That is some serious force. And its tendency is to rise up or sideways as it pushes against the wood.
    Yep, if you watch the head-on collisions in NHTSA videos, the car can hit a flat, square wall, but it will still rear up. That energy's gotta go somewhere...

Once that deflection of force even begins to happen in something like a wood splitter, it has even MORE force ripping the rails apart than it has parallel to the ram, due to mechanical advantage, as the trig shows...for every foot of thrust from the ram, the rails open up less than a foot, which means the force pushing them apart is even greater than the 25-ton capacity of the engine, pump and ram....

Post Thanks / Like

Leverage does come into it eventually. Given the ram was at maximum speed as mentioned earlier, 1st stage of the 2 stage pump, means it was not providing 25 tons force.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JJN View Post
    Leverage does come into it eventually. Given the ram was at maximum speed as mentioned earlier, 1st stage of the 2 stage pump, means it was not providing 25 tons force.
    The point was that because the rails are driven apart slower than the ram is driven forward, the force driving the rails apart is greater than the force driving the ram forward.

Like a wedge.

The point stands.

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously, or the rail would not have bent. And not with 25 tons of force as you stated - that point fell down.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    Sometimes yeah, sometimes meh. In the case of your log splitter rails, "probably not."

Kinda like adult diapers, it all depends.
    Still trying to understand the value of all this... Other than - maybe, could have, sometimes perhaps... dont know and wont commit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    I...

.if you broke it once, I'm wondering whether you're just gonna break it again....

Welded back together. Just needs some grinding and paint. Wil let you know when Im "gonna break it again..."

Thanks!
    Last edited by JJN; 07-30-2021 at 10:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Still trying to understand the value of all this... Other than - maybe, could have, sometimes perhaps... dont know and wont commit.
    The comments and examples I gave were a roundabout way of saying, "No. It isn't always true that 'the welds are stronger then the metal.' Here are examples where they aren't."

But since you can't seem to read between the lines, here's an analogy: Saying that "the welds are stronger than the metal" is akin to saying "All trucks are blue Fords."
    In reality, some trucks are blue, and some are Fords, and some are Fords but not blue, and some are blue but not Fords. There -- clearer?

Welded back together. Just needs some grinding and paint. Wil let you know when Im "gonna break it again..."
    Congratulations. We'll be here waiting with bated breath!