Thread: Welding Procedure/Weld Type for Heavy W Trusses

Post Thanks / Like

Welding Procedure/Weld Type for Heavy W Trusses

Hello,
    I am new here and I am looking for help/recommendation on welding procedure that my client has asked me to provide. I do steel detailing and engineering and we are working on the project where 3 heavy trusses were designed. Top and bottom chords are W14x311 and diagonals are made of W12x152 and W14x120. Each truss is onlcy 6'-6" deep therefore directly welded connections were chosen and designed. Flanges in all diagonal get CJP to top and bottm chord's flange and web is welded with fillet weld. The diagonal angle varies from 30 degrees to 55 degrees. I discussed with my client (Steel contractor) that they will bevel the flange on one side with 1/4" root opening, 1"x1/4" backing bar and full penetration weld. Is there a pre-qualified procedure in AWS D1.1 for this type of joint? I know there is a TC-U4a-GF a single bevel-groove weld for T-joint but in my case diagonals to chord connections are not at 90 degrees..Any help will be much appreciated. Typical connection attached.
    Thanks in advance

Jacek
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welding Procedure/Weld Type for Heavy W Trusses

Not to sound rude but as an engineer, isn't that your job to know this stuff. If you engineered the truss per load you should really know the weld procedures.

3. Likes flushcut, Dave66 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

5. Likes Dave66 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like that work it like good old days.
    I found check with engineer is always good thing.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jacek_JJSA View Post
    Hello,
    I am new here and I am looking for help/recommendation on welding procedure that my client has asked me to provide. I do steel detailing and engineering and we are working on the project where 3 heavy trusses were designed. Top and bottom chords are W14x311 and diagonals are made of W12x152 and W14x120. Each truss is onlcy 6'-6" deep therefore directly welded connections were chosen and designed. Flanges in all diagonal get CJP to top and bottm chord's flange and web is welded with fillet weld. The diagonal angle varies from 30 degrees to 55 degrees. I discussed with my client (Steel contractor) that they will bevel the flange on one side with 1/4" root opening, 1"x1/4" backing bar and full penetration weld. Is there a pre-qualified procedure in AWS D1.1 for this type of joint? I know there is a TC-U4a-GF a single bevel-groove weld for T-joint but in my case diagonals to chord connections are not at 90 degrees..Any help will be much appreciated. Typical connection attached.
    Thanks in advance

Jacek
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Post Thanks / Like

Because of the angles involved you will need to specify this procedure. Take a look at section 2 and research "z-loss" this will need to be taken into consideration with this detail.