+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hub Puller Bad Gateway Update

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hub Puller Bad Gateway Update

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I've always wanted a set of thread files. I never saw the tool you linked to. Pretty neat. I'm wondering which is better.........files, or tool
    If you have the room the tool in the link I find to be much better. The nice thing about the tool or files is you can start your repair on the good threads and go over the bad vs a die or rethreading die where you basically start a whole new set of threads. In addition the tool in the link is very fast as you just basically set it and then unthread it. I have an OTC version that I seldom use but it's indispensable when needed.

2. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll look for some videos about the tool. That way I can see it work, and judge how much room it takes to grab good thread.

Post Thanks / Like

As was suggested earlier I would add some spacer shims under the nut to use better threads. The suggestion about corn head grease is another good one it would help keep condensation and rust off things during the off season because the grease would stick better for the same reasons you have stated about using grease instead of oil in some of your wheel bearings
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Post Thanks / Like

I often use these: https://www.mcmaster.com/thread-repair-files/

working about 5 to 10 degrees around at a time. It works on the stuff the threading tool doesn't do well. You can also use the on the lathe, carefully...

Good luck with the carpet, I've found that cleaning solutions with hydrogen peroxide are the best at getting rid of pet accident odors.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

I Gotta Lathe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stupid Not To Use It

Name:  erniefp.png
Views: 266
Size:  13.7 KB

I like this video better

The shaft is toast. I might as well attempt to repair the thread using the ultimate threading tool..................the lathe I've considered it, but had no idea how to align the cutting tool, and match the carriage travel. Between the two videos, I've got a fighting chance now.

I figure I'll cut a thread on a test piece, damage it, and repair it in order to get some idea how well this is gonna work.

Post Thanks / Like

And one more..............................

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I've always wanted a set of thread files. I never saw the tool you linked to. Pretty neat. I'm wondering which is better.........files, or tool
    Or how about putting it in the lathe pickup the thread and clean up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lars66 View Post
    Or how about putting it in the lathe pickup the thread and clean up.
    Absolutely!! That's what the videos show how to do. I've never done it before.

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!............................ .................WAIT FOR IT............................................

THE PLAN HAS CHANGED

After examining the damaged thread, I discovered the damage extends to the full depth of where the nut has to go in order to set the preload. The remaining good thread is good BECAUSE THEY NEVER TURNED THE NUT DOWN THAT FAR.

So.........................(We at Uranus always have a backup). I'm going to remove all of the thread from the shaft, and rethread it in a smaller diameter.

Then....................I'll make a custom nut to fit the odd diameter thread. I ordered some 2 1/4 12L14 just a few minutes ago. Threads like a dream, and should be strong enough for the application..........there's no clamping force on a preload adjustment nut. And, because it's a fine thread, there's still enough meat for the key to grab the slot in the shaft. Might have to grind a skosh off the key to lower the height where it goes under the nut, but it's golden. The lock washer has enough length on the tabs to grab the slot too. So, it's a win win I'm thinking.

I might just turn, and rethread, only the actual portion that needs to hold the nut, and leave the remaining unused thread alone.

10. Likes AlabamaJoe, whtbaron liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist