Thread: Coreshield 8 or 11

Post Thanks / Like

Coreshield 8 or 11

Im about to build several cattleguards, and was wondering what suggestions I could get on different wires. I build them from 5.5 and 2.875 oilfield tubing. I normally run coreshield 11, 1/16 wire from my 12vs. Is the t8 a better option since it meets seismic requirements, or is the t11 just fine? Is there any better options out there? Im not partial to using only esab wire, Ill use just about anything. Im getting all specs for the job later today, and will know what codes to follow. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coreshield 8 or 11

Sounds like drill stem that doesn't meet any specs. and isn't supposed to be welded (it's used for corals all the time). It's often magnetic too. If a roll of T-8 isn't too much more expensive I'd go with that. If it's a crazy price I'd do some test welds with T-11 if possible. Are you coping the smaller pipe and using the larger for the posts or cutting holes and running the smaller pipe right through? If the latter, would be more confident using T-11.

Post Thanks / Like

Not drill stem. It’s tubing and well casing. Not a fence to cut holes in the posts. It’s a cattleguard for driving over, instead of opening gates.

Post Thanks / Like

Driving over? Use the T-8 wire for sure!

Post Thanks / Like

It is E71-8 & E71T-11
    It depends on welder either will work.
    I use E71T-11 0.030"

Dave

https://mam.esab.com/assets/1/BDBA5C...et_Main-01.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by diesel625 View Post
    Im about to build several cattleguards, and was wondering what suggestions I could get on different wires. I build them from 5.5 and 2.875 oilfield tubing. I normally run coreshield 11, 1/16 wire from my 12vs. Is the t8 a better option since it meets seismic requirements, or is the t11 just fine? Is there any better options out there? Im not partial to using only esab wire, Ill use just about anything. Im getting all specs for the job later today, and will know what codes to follow. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

The t8 is what I was leaning to. I’ve heard a lot of good about the Hobart xlr-8, any experience with it?

Post Thanks / Like

i ve never used the brands ur talkin, but i think all t-8 is about the same sensitivity. goin around a 3 pipe, keeping the critical things in conformance, isnt going to as relaxing/forgiving as 11. but hey, if u wanna learn/move on to better things, it ought to be a good excercise
    Last edited by 123weld; 07-30-2021 at 10:46 PM.