Thread: Finally Fixed The Mig!

Post Thanks / Like

Finally Fixed The Mig!

So I have this Thermal Arc 211 I mig welder. When I bought it 7-8 years ago it worked fine. Over the last several years I noticed it wasn't welding up to par (I have not used it much). I come to discover that the drive wheels were slipping on the wire (changing the tension did nothing). I used a trick that I picked up off another member here. I switched out the drive wheel to the serrated wheel meant for flux core. Problem solved.......and you need very little tension on the drive wheel.

2. Likes MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finally Fixed The Mig!

If you are using the knurled roller on solid steel wire, it will over time clog up the liner as it bites and chews on the wire. The indentations left on the wire may also chew up the tip as they slide in the bore, elongating it.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with what Oscar said, but my Challenger 172 only came with a knurled roller. While not being much of a welder, I have used it as said, with light tension on solid wire for years. It does create a little dust and you may need to blow out the liner occasionally, but this has worked for me.

Post Thanks / Like

All good points guys......thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Replacing a liner every 3 to 5 rolls of wire is a small price to pay to have a welder that welds good when using knurled rollers. I use knurled rollers for solid wire with minimal wire tension.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.