Thread: Looking for a mentor in NNJ

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for a mentor in NNJ

Hello,

I am new to welding, trying to learn stick at the moment. Really like welding so far, got into it cuz I want to build stuff. I am looking for a mentor to criticize my welds, give me some pointers. Is there anyone in NNJ that can help me out.

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for a mentor in NNJ

See if your local tech school has summer classes. Usually they have really good stick instructors... tig its hit or miss.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3. Dislikes jpump5 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of universities and community colleges have adult education classes in welding.

5. Likes Country Metals liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Put an ad in a local paper or if there is a training facility ask if an instructor might be able to come and give you some pointers or see if you put an add up there. Instructors could even ask if a student might be interested. $100 or so to get an experienced welder to help you in person is money well spent. When I got a new Tig machine I went to the training facility and an instructor came out to give me some pointers. He was there for an hour and didn't want any money but I gave him $20 anyway. He was one of my instructors almost 20 years previous. I always remembered him because he wore dark shade cutting glasses all the time except in the classroom. He said his eyes weren't as good now so he doesn't were the dark glasses all the time anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Youtube also has some good instructional videos, weld.com and a couple of others.
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD HELP AMERICA!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Post Thanks / Like

try sussex county vo tech.