Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Cheap & Easy hole centering on tubing

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,824
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cheap & Easy hole centering on tubing

    I needed to drill some holes in 3/4" tubing but they had to be centered, I had some grounding clamps laying around so I just pulled the screw and finished drilling thru the brass clamp then used it to center all my pilot holes on the tubing, worked great.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

    No, that's not my car.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    3,562
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Cheap & Easy hole centering on tubing

    I would just make a jig.
    If could I use drill press

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by bigb View Post
    I needed to drill some holes in 3/4" tubing but they had to be centered, I had some grounding clamps laying around so I just pulled the screw and finished drilling thru the brass clamp then used it to center all my pilot holes on the tubing, worked great.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6,173
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Cheap & Easy hole centering on tubing

    I like that!!Name:  tkqe4fh-smiley-two-thumbs-up175028_285604.gif
Views: 514
Size:  1.1 KB

    While on the subject....................WTF do stinkin' drill vises have the half azzed fixed jaw that doesn't extend all the way down to the vise ways?? Any kind of thin plate slides under the damn jaw, and makes it a PITA to center the vise for repeated operations. With a mill vise, you just shoot your center off the back fixed jaw, and you're good to go.

    One of these days, I need to mill a square spacer to place in front of the fixed jaw to close the gap.

  4. Likes William McCormick, Oscar, VaughnT liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    ct.
    Posts
    1,403
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Cheap & Easy hole centering on tubing

    I like it. Drilling pipe/tubing is always a problem
    because drill walks off top of pipe, even with center
    punch mark. Using a center drill works , but drill
    press table has to be raised because center drill is
    shorter than twist drill . Im thinking that in a drill
    press, you could just hold top of ground clamp on
    pipe and use it to start drill. Ground clamp trick
    (using both parts of clamp)would work well in the
    field with portable drill.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Utopia,TX / Pasadena, TX
    Posts
    420
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Cheap & Easy hole centering on tubing

    Great idea, never thought of it.

  7. Likes William McCormick liked this post
  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    AJO, ARIZONA
    Posts
    4,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Cheap & Easy hole centering on tubing

    Good idea!
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD HELP AMERICA!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

  9. Likes William McCormick liked this post
  10. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgetown, Texas
    Posts
    2,020
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Cheap & Easy hole centering on tubing

    I guess you don't have a center finder. They work great for this and on any size pipe.

  11. Likes BD1 liked this post
  12. #8
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    5,282
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Cheap & Easy hole centering on tubing

    Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I like that!!Name:  tkqe4fh-smiley-two-thumbs-up175028_285604.gif
Views: 514
Size:  1.1 KB

    While on the subject....................WTF do stinkin' drill vises have the half azzed fixed jaw that doesn't extend all the way down to the vise ways?? Any kind of thin plate slides under the damn jaw, and makes it a PITA to center the vise for repeated operations. With a mill vise, you just shoot your center off the back fixed jaw, and you're good to go.

    One of these days, I need to mill a square spacer to place in front of the fixed jaw to close the gap.
    I have a few little strips of plywood I keep around for that.... pain in the butt.
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

  13. Likes farmersammm liked this post
  14. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    9,806
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Cheap & Easy hole centering on tubing

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I guess you don't have a center finder. They work great for this and on any size pipe.
    Center finder works great. They increased in price like everything else.

    https://www.amazon.com/Jackson-Safet...NsaWNrPXRydWU=


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    4,438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Cheap & Easy hole centering on tubing

    I like the tool. It appears to the tube in position for drilling. Would probably do a fixture similar to that rather than using a center finder tool. Center finder will mark the tdc, but not assure alignment if drilling through both sides.

    I have had a center finder tube for years. Used it for the first time a couple weeks ago on a pipe rail job. Awesome tool for aligning opposite ends and clocking miters and copes.

    Check.. Ebay and there are other brand available. I have the curve-o-mark purchased new in box for cheap price.

  16. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgetown, Texas
    Posts
    2,020
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Cheap & Easy hole centering on tubing

    I have a center finder that I bought at a flea market that's probably the best ever made. It's in a little metal box and can find any place on the pipe in single degrees. I just went out and looked, it's called Miracle Point. i just looked and I'll be danged if they don't still make it.https://www.penntoolco.com/miracle-p...7C%20%24349.95

  17. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    4,438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Cheap & Easy hole centering on tubing

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I have a center finder that I bought at a flea market that's probably the best ever made. It's in a little metal box and can find any place on the pipe in single degrees. I just went out and looked, it's called Miracle Point. i just looked and I'll be danged if they don't still make it.https://www.penntoolco.com/miracle-p...7C%20%24349.95
    Nice. Did you happen to check out the current price?

  18. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    central Wis.
    Posts
    5,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Cheap & Easy hole centering on tubing

    If drilling smallish round stock I just set a 6" scale ruler between the stock and the drill. If it balances out level it's pretty much dead on center.

  19. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
  20. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    AJO, ARIZONA
    Posts
    4,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Cheap & Easy hole centering on tubing

    Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Nice. Did you happen to check out the current price?
    Miracle points are a great tool, they're also expensive, last time I checked it was around $400.00 IIRC. I just checked again & they run between $350.00 & $400.00 for the one like we were issued in the Machine shop. There are larger sizes that are more expensive.
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 08-02-2021 at 01:51 PM.
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD HELP AMERICA!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

  21. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    central Wis.
    Posts
    5,994
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Cheap & Easy hole centering on tubing

    Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    Miracle points are a great tool, they're also expensive, last time I checked it was around $400.00 IIRC. I just checked again & they run between $350.00 & $400.00 for the one like we were issued in the Machine shop. There are larger sizes that are more expensive.
    Travers Tool sells one that appears identical for somewhere in the 180$ range. I have one of the miracle point branded ones and I believe it was around 150$ nearly 20 years ago

  22. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    939
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Cheap & Easy hole centering on tubing

    tube grounding point and center finder all in one

  23. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgetown, Texas
    Posts
    2,020
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Cheap & Easy hole centering on tubing

    I did and was stunned. I think I paid around $20 for the one I have. It is nice to use it though.

  24. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    4,438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Cheap & Easy hole centering on tubing

    Found this for 60 bucks, used. Knock-off brand. SPI 360 magnetic compass
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,638,668,082.73023 seconds with 14 queries