+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: any advice on tube roller for my small custom project?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: any advice on tube roller for my small custom project?

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I will refrain from offering an opinion as I am far from the adventurous type. However I never wore a seat belt until my daughter was born......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I never wore a seat belt either until I had a minor fender bender……always wear on now Even on the zero turn!

Post Thanks / Like

Since I rarely work in tubing I a election tubing bender. It stores in tight places and used for electrical work too.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by midnight76 View Post
    hello all - Ive made custom ice climbing axes last year for my 10yo daughter. they worked great. They are straight shaft tools, but shes quickly progressed from slabby WI2 to full on WI4(toprope anyway) - so she needs a curve shaft now.

I used 1/2 od round tube for the axe shaft. I cant seem to get a clear picture of what I need to put a moderate but smooth and consistent bend in these shafts. Planetary ring roller? the Harbor freight tube roller - with 1/2" dies?(where would I get those dies?) Advice is appreciated. Thanks
    Attachment 1730083Attachment 1730084Attachment 1730085

Post Thanks / Like

first of all youre talking about welds "breaking". I dont know whatr kind of amatuer world you live in, my welds dont break, and have passed every UT and xray test over hundreds of jobs.

if you know what TOPROPE means, youll know that the entire ice face could calve off, both axes could "snap" AND her crampons pop off - and shes perfectly safe.

tens years of mountain rescue - 2 as safety director, 10 years as a structural ironworker GF, 12 years as an army engineer with accident investigation. Oh yeah a BS in occupational safety.

just cause you brought it up, MODS your "I forgot my password" features to regain access to my very old account is broken. So I made a new one.

Post Thanks / Like

oh thats cute. You went to a 2 week school. I was actually out saving lives in the Colorado mountains, year round for 10 years. 2001? you probably still ****in used goldline. But hey, mountain strong, you ever wonder how your "proud mountaineering tradition" started? Do you know where the stoveleg pitch is? do you know why its called that? Do you know why they call them nuts? you think pitons came from a factory back during all those first ascents?

2001 though. Wow. Id already been climbing for a decade and could have run circles around you. bunch of my soldiers have come back from mountain school in the past 4 years. full of "knowledge" and completely unaware of how much they (and you) dont ****in know.

how many lead pitches have you done, ice or trad? How many anchors have you built? How many mountain rescue (MRA.org) personnel have you trained to operate on a regional level? How many high angle rescues have you done?

I can answer from several (for high angle rescues) to dozens and hundreds. You can answer "**** all". Cool certificate bro. To real climbers and mountaineers that literally screams amatuer hour.
    Last edited by midnight76; 08-08-2021 at 03:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by El Greco View Post
    Making lifesaving equipment and trusting it for oneself is fine.

Once another person’s life is at risk, especially a loved one, better to purchase what you need.
    go ahead and show me where to "purchase what I need" for my daughters height and age. Ill wait.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  bad ***.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  52.4 KB
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

7. Likes BD1, VaughnT, dhem, Dave66, CAVEMANN, shortfuse, Beefman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=midnight76;8822576]go ahead and show me where to "purchase what I need" for my daughters height and age.

Wow, after all that you said, do you really think anyone would tell you where to purchase what you need ??
    I know what many would tell you but it's not nice.

9. Likes psacustomcreations, dhem, CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by midnight76 View Post
    ...my welds dont break, and have passed every UT and xray test over hundreds of jobs.

tens years of mountain rescue - 2 as safety director, 10 years as a structural ironworker GF, 12 years as an army engineer with accident investigation. Oh yeah a BS in occupational safety.
    Thank you. I needed a good chuckle.

Ace welder with all that experience.... and that's the kind of weld you produce? Where's the stacked dimes? Personally, I thought the crease-lines in the shaft was a nice touch. Nothing quite like introducing some stress risers to a piece of life-saving gear. And who really needs to fully countersink some screw heads?

Decades as a structural ironworker and Army Engineer..... and you're here asking us how to put a bend in some thin-wall pipe? Yea, that sounds about right.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the photos posted of the Ice Ax the welds look a little scary to me.....

12. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This thread stands a monument to why welding web is a ghost town.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see WW as a "ghost town". I see it as a wealth of information and a forum that is tolerant of a newbie poster beating his chest, bragging about his personal accomplishments, not making a contribution, and p!ssing off a lot of folks.

15. Likes Lis2323, BD1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Where do you buy those funny rose colored lenses?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hddnis View Post
    Where do you buy those funny rose colored lenses?
    I don’t think shortfuse has lenses of any sort except for auto dark perhaps.

I enjoy WW for what it is. The day I change my mind I will see myself out….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

What happened to the OP? Hope he’s okay….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist