Thread: Help with Century 230amp handle lock please.

Post Thanks / Like

Help with Century 230amp handle lock please.

My first post. Woo Hoo!

Hi there,

I'm restoring a nice old welder I got for $20 a few years ago. It's a Century model 110-110, 230a unit. The case is off being painted. My problem lies in the locking grip being missing off the handle. I know what it MIGHT look like but I don't know exactly how it clamps or binds to keep the handle at the right height. The shunt assembly slides up and down very nicely and the former owner had some really hokey externally mounted screw jack deal to raise and lower the handle, no doubt because the grip went south. Is the grip spring loaded? What does it impinge against inside? A photo of one would be nice. I can make most things. A photo with a scale beside it would be even better!

Also, where should the other end of the braided ground strap coming off the fan motor go?

Last thing, there is a sheet steel dog-leg down below the transformer that has some foam rubber attached to the top and bottom of it. I don't see anything that could come in contact with it so I am wondering if I am missing something down there.

Anyway, thanks very much for any possible help.

Stop Gap
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with Century 230amp handle lock please.

I repaired one of those locking handle deals once.
    Cheaply made junk.

I'd recommend modifying it with a threaded crank.

Last time I looked the entire locking clamp assembly could be ordered from Century though.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

OK Dave, I'll reinstall that screw jack affair the guy had on it. No point rebuilding bad engineering.

Any ideas on the ground wire?

Stop Gap

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a bit of an update with the adjuster installed. This used to be front mounted but it didn't lift the shunt assembly properly; too much of an angle that tipped it and bound it. I mounted the compound jack screw (there's a smaller internal screw in this visible one for a 2:1 advantage) and it works like a charm because it lifts from the center of balance of the shunt bar. I'm a sucker for the hammer finish paint so sprayed it up. It's a great little welder for the meagre investment I put into it. Oh, I was going to mount my generator on an old lawnmower deck. I've seen that done and it's a good way of scooting one around the yard but then this short shopping cart came up in a local thrift store and it all came together. I guess this is a "portable" eh? Maybe I can start working pipeline now.
    Name:  mig.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  128.4 KBName:  mig2.JPG
Views: 38
Size:  99.8 KBName:  mig3.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  212.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

And wala the portable engine drive was invented.