+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welding gone wrong...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welding gone wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I really wanna say you made that up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sorry but it IS true. I don't think the kid came back to finish school that year. I agree POPEYE, I would think it's just a matter of time before there was a screwup.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

What advantage was there to extinguishing the flame on your clothes. The gas still needed to be turned off after the flame was extinguished?.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    Ma'am the muffler bracket welding will be $250, rugs, upholstery, headliner, ozone treatment, paint job, $7,000

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BaTu View Post
    My first thought was that he was tacking exhaust components, but I can't see the separation from a pipe to the floor conducting any significant Heat. So, whatever it was that he was doing, it must have been against the Floor itself to start the insulation & carpet to "catch" like that.

How stupid could this guy be? It wouldn't occur to him that the, other side, of what he was welding might be getting Really Hot???
    Have a guy inside pouring water if you aren't going to take the carpets out.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Y'all can call the guy a moron, but who hasn't started a fire, either with a welder, or a grinder. It goes with the territory.
    He had to be a newbie if he didn't know you cannot weld on something paper-thin with a carpet on the other side.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    He had to be a newbie if he didn't know you cannot weld on something paper-thin with a carpet on the other side.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    I went to a junk yard to get a seat belt to replace the failing retractor mechanism for an old Explorer I wanted to keep going for another couple years. Found the right part and the guy in the shop removed it from the vehicle by torching it out. Ayup, right through the seat belt too, totally trashing it. How dumb can you be to torch out a fabric part? I left without my part...
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

Post Thanks / Like

One word, “carbeque”

8. Likes whtbaron, Lis2323, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That would scare the hell out of me. I'm sure I would have been pitching water on the tire because logic would go out the window.

10. Likes scsmith42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Y'all can call the guy a moron, but who hasn't started a fire, either with a welder, or a grinder. It goes with the territory.
    Oh, sure. Once I was grinding a coupon with a flap disk. I smelled something burning. I turned around and a spark from the grinding had flown about 20 feet away and set fire to some dead grass. Flames were going up 8 feet. I had a water hose right there and put it out, but it scared the living crap out of me. Since then I've almost always welded with a water hose next to me.
    -Ruark
    "Become one with the puddle, grasshopper" - Welding Instructor
    Lincoln 3200HD
    Hobart Stickmate LX235
    TWECO Fabricator 211i

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone around not seeing the flames.
    I would how the explanat the black color in car maybe ¤ it came that way"

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone remember those plaid shirt/jacket things, they went kinda fuzzy when you washed them the first time. Decades ago that's what I used to wear while welding, they were cheap and warm. First time I used one after it was washed I struck an arc and the whole jacket went up in a sheet of flame, went out before I realized what had happened, never burnt long enough to do any damage other than pinked up my neck a bit and the stain in my shorts. After the initial burn they were fine.
    It was fun when a newbie would wear one, we'd come up behind him and touch a lighter to the bottom, made for a wild second or so..........Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Usually the only thing I set on fire is myself!
    Damn frayed blue jeans!

Post Thanks / Like

Screw you & the horse you rode in on, I ain't brushing the flame out on me!.
    I can injure myself without that.
    Sunday, Mrs. B wanted a Chinese bird feeder repaired. It was painted, so I rubbed it around the table to scrub off a morsel of Chinese paint. For extra ground, I put a copper brick inside.
    After welding a big washer across the break, I wanted to extract the copper brick. Despite unusual caution, I brushed the hot washer with the back of my hand. 1/3 Square inch of skin remained stuck to it. Wednesday, it hurts! NO I am not doing it on purpose!!!
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Screw you & the horse you rode in on, I ain't brushing the flame out on me!.
    I can injure myself without that.
    Sunday, Mrs. B wanted a Chinese bird feeder repaired. It was painted, so I rubbed it around the table to scrub off a morsel of Chinese paint. For extra ground, I put a copper brick inside.
    After welding a big washer across the break, I wanted to extract the copper brick. Despite unusual caution, I brushed the hot washer with the back of my hand. 1/3 Square inch of skin remained stuck to it. Wednesday, it hurts! NO I am not doing it on purpose!!!
    Bill, just remember that no good deed shall go unpunished…
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    Bill, just remember that no good deed shall go unpunished…
    You must have stolen that quote from me.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    You must have stolen that quote from me.
    I picked it up from a former boss back in 1975... Maybe he stole it from you (but I don't think that you're old enough!)
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist