Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39

Thread: The Lincoln/Caterpillar SAE-600. Yes, another one.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like

    The Lincoln/Caterpillar SAE-600. Yes, another one.

    Hey everyone,Just finished Wrenchguy's iconic thread on his Cat/Lincoln dual-operator machine. Thought I would add my own, because I have a similar beast. Cat D315 powered, but a single operator machine that allegedly goes to 800 amps (or maybe just 600?). Working on getting it running right now.

  2. Likes 12V71, John Baptist, scsmith42 liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    5,299
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Lincoln/Caterpillar SAE-600. Yes, another one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Beaver View Post
    Hey everyone,Just finished Wrenchguy's iconic thread on his Cat/Lincoln dual-operator machine. Thought I would add my own, because I have a similar beast. Cat D315 powered, but a single operator machine that allegedly goes to 800 amps (or maybe just 600?). Working on getting it running right now.
    Pics please.

  4. Likes John Baptist liked this post
  5. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    106
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Lincoln/Caterpillar SAE-600. Yes, another one.

    sounds like a beast anyways pics or it didn't happen lol
    Lincwelder 180As
    Communists have the highest body count in history and yet they are all over TV and politics.

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Lincoln/Caterpillar SAE-600. Yes, another one.

    Can't seem to upload pics here. I get a spinning wheel and then nothing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Lincoln/Caterpillar SAE-600. Yes, another one.

    Okay, I guess I can upload pics after all. Yay technology I guess.Anyway that's the beast. It's in decent shape for being 69 years old

  8. Likes John Baptist liked this post
  9. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Near Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    536
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Lincoln/Caterpillar SAE-600. Yes, another one.

    Oh,, MY!! you have to start a "pony motor" to be able to start the diesel,, so that you can weld,,
    That is kinda cool,,,,,,,

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    106
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Lincoln/Caterpillar SAE-600. Yes, another one.

    Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post
    Oh,, MY!! you have to start a "pony motor" to be able to start the diesel,, so that you can weld,,
    That is kinda cool,,,,,,,
    i've seen that on old tractors i think it's neat
    Lincwelder 180As
    Communists have the highest body count in history and yet they are all over TV and politics.

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    106
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Lincoln/Caterpillar SAE-600. Yes, another one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Beaver View Post
    Can't seem to upload pics here. I get a spinning wheel and then nothing.
    pics worked lol It looks Awesome
    Lincwelder 180As
    Communists have the highest body count in history and yet they are all over TV and politics.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Soda springs,Id
    Posts
    5,460
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Lincoln/Caterpillar SAE-600. Yes, another one.

    Some of the Cat pony motors had an exhaust tube that ran thru the intake manifold to preheat the intake air for cold weather starts. Some also had a compression release for easier cranking in cold weather.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

  13. Likes John Baptist liked this post
  14. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Lockhart,Tx (BBQ capitol of the world)
    Posts
    1,204
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Lincoln/Caterpillar SAE-600. Yes, another one.

    Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    Some of the Cat pony motors had an exhaust tube that ran thru the intake manifold to preheat the intake air for cold weather starts. Some also had a compression release for easier cranking in cold weather.
    That is correct but they also circulated the engine oil and antifreeze!

  15. Likes John Baptist liked this post
  16. #11
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    5,299
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Lincoln/Caterpillar SAE-600. Yes, another one.

    Quote Originally Posted by rexcormack View Post
    That is correct but they also circulated the engine oil and antifreeze!
    They all shared coolant, but the ones that shared oil merely sucked it out of the Diesel engine's pan and drained it back in, but that did warm the oil.
    Normally with the D8 and D9 dozers we would run the pony to crank the diesel for almost 20 minutes with the compression release open and the fuel off in cold weather. When it was spinning free we would close the compression release and keep cranking with no fuel to warm up the diesel pistons, after a few minutes you could crack the throttle and see if it was going to make smoke, black was good and ready to start, white... close the throttle and crank some more.
    You could start them below zero and never use ether. A touch of ether could speed up the process.

  17. Likes John Baptist, CAVEMANN liked this post
  18. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Soda springs,Id
    Posts
    5,460
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Lincoln/Caterpillar SAE-600. Yes, another one.

    Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    They all shared coolant, but the ones that shared oil merely sucked it out of the Diesel engine's pan and drained it back in, but that did warm the oil.
    Normally with the D8 and D9 dozers we would run the pony to crank the diesel for almost 20 minutes with the compression release open and the fuel off in cold weather. When it was spinning free we would close the compression release and keep cranking with no fuel to warm up the diesel pistons, after a few minutes you could crack the throttle and see if it was going to make smoke, black was good and ready to start, white... close the throttle and crank some more.
    You could start them below zero and never use ether. A touch of ether could speed up the process.
    And that's where a lot of unknowing people go wrong with overuse of ether. A little bit in any engine was all that was needed. We had a D399 Cat genset and even with glow plugs in warm weather when it decided to wake up you'd swear a rod was going to come thru the side of block. Such a terrible sounding fuel knock!! Once she cleared her throat everything was fine.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

  19. Likes John Baptist, CAVEMANN liked this post
  20. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    248
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Lincoln/Caterpillar SAE-600. Yes, another one.

    That’s too cool where you located at ? Wonder what it was originally used for would be a blast to weld with !

  21. Likes John Baptist liked this post
  22. #14
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    5,299
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Lincoln/Caterpillar SAE-600. Yes, another one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leogl View Post
    That’s too cool where you located at ? Wonder what it was originally used for would be a blast to weld with !
    It would be interesting to know how many of these were built. Very interesting machine. I once had a 600 amp Hobart with a 2-71 Detroit, that was quite the growler when it was running.

  23. Likes John Baptist, CAVEMANN liked this post
  24. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    3,573
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Lincoln/Caterpillar SAE-600. Yes, another one.

    The ponny engine is about 30 hp.
    I found if ponny engine is in shape your life will good shape. I put a electric starter on some mine made life easier 😌.

    Dave

  25. Likes John Baptist liked this post
  26. #16
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    5,299
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Lincoln/Caterpillar SAE-600. Yes, another one.

    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    The ponny engine is about 30 hp.
    I found if ponny engine is in shape your life will good shape. I put a electric starter on some mine made life easier ��.

    Dave
    The 2 cylinder opposed starting engines sitting on the flywheel housing were only about 10-12 HP at 3000 rpm... If they were in good condition.

  27. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    3,573
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Lincoln/Caterpillar SAE-600. Yes, another one.

    That size of a D4 starting engine
    It weight is around 300 pounds

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    The 2 cylinder opposed starting engines sitting on the flywheel housing were only about 10-12 HP at 3000 rpm... If they were in good condition.

  28. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,822
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Lincoln/Caterpillar SAE-600. Yes, another one.

    Very cool old machine in immaculate condition for its age. More pics. please of the generator and engine from the other side and a close up of the welder spec. tag shown in the pic. you posted.

  29. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Lincoln/Caterpillar SAE-600. Yes, another one.

    This is the tag. It is in really good shape, barring 69 years of entropy.
    Name:  WelderTag.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  96.8 KB

  30. Likes John Baptist, 12V71 liked this post
  31. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Lincoln/Caterpillar SAE-600. Yes, another one.

    I also have a video of working on the pony motor. I got it running momentarily until the rusty tank clogged everything up.


  32. Likes John Baptist, 12V71, California liked this post
  33. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Lincoln/Caterpillar SAE-600. Yes, another one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leogl View Post
    That’s too cool where you located at ? Wonder what it was originally used for would be a blast to weld with !
    I am in central Wyoming. The guy I bought it from said it was used on a ranch. No idea about before then.

  34. Likes John Baptist, 12V71 liked this post
  35. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    5,643
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Lincoln/Caterpillar SAE-600. Yes, another one.

    It's a beauty!

    I had the good fortune to chat with Wrenchguy a few years back. He had great stories to tell. I'm sure you will also!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  36. Likes John Baptist, 12V71 liked this post
  37. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Outside of Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Lincoln/Caterpillar SAE-600. Yes, another one.

    That looks like a cool project!

    I spent two years operating a D7 17A that had a pony motor. If I never have to start another one of those it will be too soon....
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

  38. Likes 12V71, whtbaron, CAVEMANN liked this post
  39. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    248
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Lincoln/Caterpillar SAE-600. Yes, another one.

    Hope you didn’t give up on this project I would like to see this run !

  40. Likes 12V71 liked this post
  41. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Lincoln/Caterpillar SAE-600. Yes, another one.

    It runs! I had to fix some injectors, a fuel line, and some operator error. Maybe soon I can see if it welds

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,638,762,235.89479 seconds with 15 queries