Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gang drill press

Post Thanks / Like

Gang drill press

Was wondering if anyone here uses one. I have an opportunity to pick up a 2 head setup on a T slot table with 2 1.6 hp clausing heads. Variable speed going down to at least 150 rpm. 3 phase which isn't a problem as I have a 5 hp rotary phase converter with an outlet already wired in the vicinity where it would go. Wonder how useful it would be, as many drilling operations require multiple setups and drill changes.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gang drill press

Depends on what you do. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Here’s the space hogging- budget-farmer version…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

4. Likes whtbaron, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it variable, or geared?
    I have a geared, IT IS WONDERFUL!!

I use a 3 phase inverter, smaller than a shoe box, that gives me even more speed selections than the geared head,,
    and the inverter senses amperage, and will stop the electric motor, if something (like too big of a drill bit) jams.

Powered down feed, and lube are the most important things on my drill press,,

6. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a couple at work... great for multi set ups. Drill / tap or drill counter sink

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

Post Thanks / Like

Like many things making holes is part of the job. I have mag drill, a mill-drill and a smaller craftsman drill press. For large holes now I use the mill-drill or the Milwaukee mag drill with a 3/4" chuck and tons of torque mounted on a stand. Figured the large table and infinite height adjustable on the columns would make many jobs easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it does, certainly allows for speedy work, we did pour plates for 2 wing tools in about 3 weeks. There were quite a few.

Mac

Post Thanks / Like

What depths are most common. As stated depends on what you do. Ironworkers punch holes and faster and do other things. Seems like you already have multiple drilling capability.

After you buy it, then your next 3 big job will best executed by the mag drill. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

@MJD It's been 2 hours now. You bought it right ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Should be getting it Friday. About 3 hrs away. Hopefully get it for less than asking price of 750$. I'll probably have to cut some off the top of the columns as it 8'6" as it stands. I have to get it in a 9' door while preferably still on a low trailer.

Post Thanks / Like

Picked it up and got it home. I broke it down by unbolting the columns and leaving the heads attached to the column. This one has insanely long columns, almost 6' tall. Got it for 700$. Came with 2 foot switches for operation, 2 drill chucks and an 8" wide jaw, cam action drill press vise. Will get some pictures once I get it assembled and in place.

14. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to have one just so I can set one head up for countersinking and not have to always be swapping out bits. Drill presses, I've found, are a lot like grinders -- every shop should have at least two!

16. Likes 12345678910, Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    I'd love to have one just so I can set one head up for countersinking and not have to always be swapping out bits. Drill presses, I've found, are a lot like grinders -- every shop should have at least two!
    That was my thought, one for pilot holes or the main hole and then the other for the main hole, tapping or countersinking. Next will be to find a Dumore or other sensitive drill press for contrast.

18. Likes whtbaron, VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I rarely use the drill presses at work anymore, but with 3 Bridgeports, 2 radial arm drills and 3 jig bores, I just don't need to. But I always like a gang dripp press for these exact reasons.

Mac

Post Thanks / Like

[a[attach=config]1730456[/attach
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

21. Likes VaughnT, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_20210820_201344870.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  70.9 KB. Of course that's times 2 on the heads. Didn't seem to need anything so I'll try to get it set in place and assembled this weekend.

23. Likes VaughnT, whtbaron, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_20210823_194114699.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  105.4 KB. Got the heads with columns installed. Not much fun as the chain fall was off center in 2 directions for the left column and 1 direction off on the right column.

25. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Need to level up the table yet and figure if I'm going to anchor it to the floor. Also needs 2 outlets wired into an existing box that's in the vicinity.

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool!

You've got to wonder what they were planning on drilling to have columns that tall!!

You can lock the feet to the floor with silicone caulk. It works like a pretty strong glue, especially with tools that don't have any rotational force. Just sweep the floor real good, then put a dob of caulk under each foot. After it dries, you'll need a floor jack and some wedges to break the joint. Works great in applications where you don't want to drill into the concrete.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Very cool!

You've got to wonder what they were planning on drilling to have columns that tall!!

You can lock the feet to the floor with silicone caulk. It works like a pretty strong glue, especially with tools that don't have any rotational force. Just sweep the floor real good, then put a dob of caulk under each foot. After it dries, you'll need a floor jack and some wedges to break the joint. Works great in applications where you don't want to drill into the concrete.
    I have no issue drilling in the concrete, just debating whether I even need too. I looked on Google images and there were plenty of twin heads, but none with columns that tall.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet!
    Wish I was home, I would have come helped load
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    Sweet!
    Wish I was home, I would have come helped load
    Loading it went real smooth, forklift to pick the heads and lift table. Had their guy to run the forklift and another of their guys to help me lay the heads down in the truck. Set the table opening over the top. A little heavy but GM builds a pretty stout 1)2 ton .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    ...just debating whether I even need too.
    I can't see why you'd need to, honestly. As heavy as that whole set up is.... I don't see it going anywhere. It's not like it's going to vibrate around the floor while you're using it.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! I keep my eye out for a pair or even triple drills, there are some great old English gearhead drills out there, Pollard, Ajax etc, but the bigger MT3 ones never come up quite at a price/location that makes it with the effort.

the Clausing setup looks really nice.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_20210908_180847545.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  91.9 KB. I was having an issue with the head on the right side when I put in a larger size drill or putting lots of pressure on the drill. I pulled the head off since I couldn't remove the guard on the belts as it's too close to the wall. Found this nylon coupling that attaches the 3 sheave drive pulley to the spindle. It had cracked and then with heavier pressure it would slip on the spindle splines. Clausing has it in stock for 13.47$ so I ordered an extra as well for a spare. It sucks that such a chintzy part could fail but it's probably good because it acts like a " fuse" so nothing expensive gets wrecked.

34. Likes William McCormick liked this post