+ Reply to Thread

Thread: plasma cutter/tig

Post Thanks / Like

plasma cutter/tig

Looking to cut 3/8 inch at maximum and tig weld. Have 230 volt 50 amp breaker. Most cutting will be 1/8 to 3/16 Suggestions for new and/or best used.
    Light duty as we are just starting. Will move up per other suggestions as/if business grows.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: plasma cutter/tig

You have not mentioned budget for either machine. That plays a huge factor in tool selection.

Hypertherm 45 plasma cutter if you can afford one. You can also look at a Miller 625 plasma cutter.
    I have a Hypertherm 65 on my plasma table and a Miller 625 for a hand held unit.

In regards to TIG, a 200 amp machine should be your minimum.
    I have a Miller Dynasty 200DX and it works for the bulk of what I do. A 280 would be a nice replacement but they cost a lot.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

True enough but I have little knowledge in that regard. I see "stuff" from 500 to way beyond. Can i get started for 1000-1500? If it has tig capability good but not a deal breaker. Appreciate any and all responses.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no personal experience but my understanding is that any combination welder/plasma cutter machine is not a good option. I doubt if they even make them any more.

Other wise the post above from psa gave good advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

5. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harryvan View Post
    True enough but I have little knowledge in that regard. I see "stuff" from 500 to way beyond. Can i get started for 1000-1500? If it has tig capability good but not a deal breaker. Appreciate any and all responses.
    I'd recommend avoiding a combo machine - If it breaks, you just lost your welder AND your plasma cutter. Since you say your starting out, if it was me, I'd look for a good condition used machine then figure out exactly what you need from there. If you can help it, get a welder with a bit more amperage than you think you'll need. Good to have some extra if you get into heavier metal (or Aluminum) plus it should have a better duty cycle in the same amp range as a comparable lower amp machine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

Post Thanks / Like

Independent machines as mentioned.
    You didn't say what type of work or materials you'll be cutting.
    For flat sheets,straight cuts, I use a Milwaukee Metal Cutting Circular saw with a straight edge. Works great for me.
    For cutting channel, tube, and angle iron I like my Bandsaws. My original Harbor Freight 4x6 for small stuff and my Ellis 1600 for everything else.
    It depends on your needs and budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I have no personal experience but my understanding is that any combination welder/plasma cutter machine is not a good option. I doubt if they even make them any more.

Other wise the post above from psa gave good advice.

I know Everlast still has them on their site....not that I would suggest going that route.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harryvan View Post
    Where are you located, and what type of work are you doing. These answers will help to give you a better answer. In my area big transformer tig machines are going for $500 to $750 with accessories , Airco, Linde, Hobart, and even a few Lincoln Idealarcs. Miller sycncrowaves never go that cheap(even the EconoTigs it seems). Kinda need to get a feel for what your doing to give a good answer, like, are you repairing motorcycles, or fabricating stainless sheet metal machinery? Each would have a different answer.

Cheers
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

It seems like TIG is an after thought for the OP and his main concern is cutting. Is that correct? If so WHAT are you cutting? I really don't think plasma is going to be the best answer in all cases, and maybe not in most cases. For cutting steel an oxy acetylene cutting torch will do most everything a plasma will do. For aluminum, a saw will give you cleaner cuts that are more ready to weld than you will get with a plasma cutter. You can also use saws to cut mild steel up to 3/8ths without a problem This saw is great for making lots of straight cuts in steel or aluminum: https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...r-Saws/6370-20

Plasma is a great choice for things like a software driven plasma table, or hacking off stainless exhaust systems. But if you are just starting out, I would think harder about your specific use cases and maybe consider cheaper alternatives at first.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look a the Primeweld site. They are cheaper machines with a decent warranty. You could get a 225 amp ACDC tig and a 50 amp plasma cutter for under $1500. I have on of the tig machines for a few months and has worked well. Lotos make similar machines , I got one used a couple of years ago. It has worked well for me, but I only use it 3 or 4 times a month, but it has payed for itself ten times over. I don't know much about the Lotos warranty, but I've heard prime weld has taken care of their warranty issues well. I own lots of other welders Miller Lincoln, Airco, etc. so I don't depend on the primeweld for a living, but for the money, and the warranty it made sense for my Home Garage machine (but its found lots of uses at the factory too.) If you do well, and make some money you can by a miller dynasty, and a Hypertherm 45 if you really wind up going full time with your endeavour.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

Harryvan, About 3 years ago I was in the market with the same criteria as your. However my budget was limited. Anyway I purchased a Lotos LTP 5000D. I took a lot of crap from others on this selection. However as of last week the Lotos is still working fine. I purchased this from Home Depo and got a years warranty with it. I purchased the tips from (of all stores) Walmart. Anyway make sure you have moisture free compressed air. This model is 50 amps and will run on 120/240 volte's. The box included the connector for the 120/240 plug also had a regulator already installed .Hope this will assist you in your selection, Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. Limited budget and not looking to make this a full time business. I am 77 stem cell transplant survivor (acute leukemia). I should have retired years ago no such luck what with leukemia. I AM NOT COMPLAINING!!!!! It kills many but I was one of the lucky ones. Also have daughter is now disabled. She is artistic and will do some painting of yard art. My son welds and years ago did plasma cutting. So I cannot spend a fortune now but with luck if have to upgrade we can do so. I bought an esab 875 from a "friend" while I was recuperating and knowing little or nothing about it other than the fact he said he used it about ten hours I bought it. Now I find it is three phase. So, I need to find the proper converter or sell it and buy something smaller. Electrical updates may also be expensive. A rock and a hard place. I appreciate the advice from you and any others.

14. Likes Kenskip1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

“ Friend”. . Bummer.

Hope you find something suitable.

:

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist