+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gantry Crane

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gantry Crane

In the local garage, we used to use a boom lift to lift the motor, and then we would pull the car out from under it. Much safer if you ask me.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve from SoCal View Post
    The safety factor is NOT for the forklift capacity. The lifting parts are designed with these features. That is why a 7K forklift can pick up a 11K machine with extra counterweight. The parts that IF they broke in normal use could cause human harm. Overhead lifting is a category unto itself with regard to design and specs, you ever notice many chain types say "not for overhead lifting" Forklifts themselves are in a different category because generally people are not under the load.
    I am sure they mean it to be, I just don't buy it. The bicycle chain is a delicate creature that may have zero engineering value if you ask me. Regular loop in loop chain now that is something I will stand under. I have seen that bicycle chain just let go when it got tugged on just slightly on one side. And I have seen the loop-in loop chain take ten times what it is rated for, stretch but still not let go. I have seen a large cable just let loose because it was tugged on slightly to one side of the pulley. Over the years I have seen the mast cylinder blow a seal when we were using the forklift as shown in your picture, overloading it. And once we sheared a pin in the lifting mechanism all done with standard loads. I would not call it a 2x safety factor.

But sure some of the parts can perform much beyond their rated load.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

3. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    In the local garage, we used to use a boom lift to lift the motor, and then we would pull the car out from under it. Much safer if you ask me.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    I agree. Any time the load doesn’t have to be moved in a raised position is a good thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

5. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How NOT to Modify a Trolley

Using 1" plate without beveling for the butt weld...................WOW!!!!!!

This guy is very cool in his concepts, but I don't feel confident with his welding, or his helpers welding. But the house is way COOL

I highly encourage you to watch the entire series on how he built this thing. An entire home out of shipping containers. It's friggin' GREAT.

I'm too old to be a nitpicker. The welding isn't to my taste, but it's not collapsing (shrug). I'd also encourage others not to be nitpickers, just enjoy it.

Funny..........Every time I hear the dood talk, I think of the head guy in Steely Dan

7. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    How NOT to Modify a Trolley

Using 1" plate without beveling for the butt weld...................WOW!!!!!!

This guy is very cool in his concepts, but I don't feel confident with his welding, or his helpers welding. But the house is way COOL

I highly encourage you to watch the entire series on how he built this thing. An entire home out of shipping containers. It's friggin' GREAT.

I'm too old to be a nitpicker. The welding isn't to my taste, but it's not collapsing (shrug). I'd also encourage others not to be nitpickers, just enjoy it.

Funny..........Every time I hear the dood talk, I think of the head guy in Steely Dan
    The dude is no doubt a hack but everything with that " house" is so massively oversized the not so good welds should never be an issue. I believe 3/16" sheet was used for the roof sheathing.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember the first time I attempted to weld thick material. I can literally see it in my mind.

It was an old self propelled Hesston swather. The lift mechanism had cracked, and broke. I forget exactly what it was that broke, but it broke.

I put the two pieces together, and ran a bead around the outside of the crack. Got in the cab,, and activated the hydraulics to lift the header..............and PLINK!! It just plain ol' broke again It was somewhere around that time that I bought my copy of The Bible. Thankfully, the fail wasn't something that could hurt someone.

I think I made a few things after that, for about a year or so, then I built the loader. First real thing I ever built. Was the best learning experience a guy could ever have. That was over 2 decades ago. Time flies. Things change. And you start to see the end of the road.

10. Likes William McCormick, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At least he put on his hard hat!

Post Thanks / Like

He did say…that there is ZERO chance of that weld failing…so there is that!

He is a bit overconfident. Stuff overhead always makes me nervous…

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen alo of sketchy overhead lifts before and I'm always extra cautious to give whatever is being lifted plenty of space.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

14. Likes 12V71, farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How about renting a Hyab?
    Do not believe everything that you think.

Post Thanks / Like

K'kins boss found a local guy for us.

He has 5 1/2(which is actually 5" pipe) pipe for $2.50/ft. He says it's a little pitted, and if it isn't what we want, we might be able to get some 6" pipe for about $4ish a foot, maybe a little less. Guy is in his 70's, and knows what we're trying to do, so he's pretty excited about it.

I figure about 100' ought to do the job. Four 13' uprights, and 4 10' stretchers. If we can get in for about $500 in steel, it's GOLDEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been sort of up in the air about how to do the bridge dollies. The ones that hold the main beam beneath the side beams. It just completely had me baffled, and mostly due to problems with headroom. I've been kicking around a dozen ideas as to how to modify a standard trolley.

I HAPPENED ON THIS, AND PROBLEM SOLVED. IT'S SIMPLE, AND TOTALLY ELEGANT!!

This shows the detail on the trolley mods. Stupid simple, and plenty strong. Actually it's a beam thing.

An overview of the entire crane setup.

17. Likes BluCllrPlt, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  crane11.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  498.2 KB Well, it's official I guess. No turning back now

I chose the 3 ton hoist because it has 5/16 diameter chain. The 1 ton, and 2 ton, only had 1/4" chain. American made hoists mostly have gr100 chain, while all the import stuff is using gr80. I felt I'd rather go up a size on the chain being as it's inferior chain on the China crap. The gearing on the 3 ton hoist ought to be a bit easier to use..........less effort.

One ton trolleys will be more than adequate for the side beams. Each beam only takes 1 ton at most. The rating on the crane will be 2 tons. If I ever do need to lift 2 tons, I'll change over to a 2 ton trolley on the main beam...........1 ton is adequate for now.

K'kins went along for the ride after she got off work, and we ate at Red Robin on the way out of Tulsa. Not the greatest food, but they had a Covid safe outdoor patio. Is what it is I guess. I can't wait to go into a restaurant for a nice sit down meal again. One of these days I guess.

Two of the trolleys, the ones used for the side beams, will be cut in half for modification to carry the main beam without rocking. New cross bolts (the load carrying pins) will be made. 1018 cold roll will be used. It's more than adequate, according to my beam software (which covers any type/length of material), to carry the load because there will be two pins, instead of one, when done. Each pin will only have to carry 1000#.

Damn hardware is gonna cost about as much as the stinkin' steel

19. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used their chain falls and some other lifting equipment for years with great results.

I still get nervous when I have to stand in the danger zone, though!

21. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  load leveler.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  57.1 KB

Me likeeeee, maybe me makeeeeeeeeeeeeee I have a small leveler rated at about 1K, but this baby takes the cake. Not hard to make, and extremely nice for all sorts of uses.

We go to get the pipe Saturday. This week's been a blizzard of doctors appointments, and nothing's been accomplished.

Templates are inbound as we speak.......Name:  template.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  11.6 KB

It's all coming together, and the sad thing...................I hate this kind of work anymore. Nothing gets built for fun, it's always in response to a disaster. No real pleasure in it.

23. Likes whtbaron, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's all coming together, and the sad thing...................I hate this kind of work anymore. Nothing gets built for fun, it's always in response to a disaster. No real pleasure in it.
    Boy can I relate to that. That is EXACTLY what I did for over 50 years.

BUT I'm still here on the farm and every day and every project is a now a fun one. TRULY!

The proverbial "light at the end of the tunnel" is coming soon. You will put this health crap behind you and we can moan about your new enjoyable projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Another template solution
    https://dogfeatherdesign.com/ttn_js/
    ---Meltedmetal

26. Likes farmersammm, bfjou812 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You do realize that an entirely different used tractor is a cheaper and much easier option.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    You do realize that an entirely different used tractor is a cheaper and much easier option.
    https://www.tractorhouse.com/listing...rs/model/190xt Granted, these aren't the best prices out there, but it's fairly representative of what's available at a moments notice. And the prices don't reflect the cost to haul them to OK.

The loader, and sub frame, only fit an Allis 190XT. Won't fit any other brand of tractor, far as I know.

I can accumulate a sizeable junkyard of blown 190XT's if I keep replacing the bad ones. I figure it's time to stop that insanity. Another identical tractor, if I could find it at the price I paid for the first 2, would increase the total outlay to around 13-14K for a collection of paperweights(knowing that a high hour replacement won't last very long). This just ain't viable anymore. I'm tired of it, and just want to climb on something that's reliable.

I did notice..................I have looked around for a replacement.............that apparently the Allis has a chronic problem with the Power Director, and the transmission jumping out of high gear. Neither of my machines has that problem. So, from the motor back, they seem to still be in fairly reasonable shape.

Then.................The Oliver is sick............needs work on the 2spd hi/lo. It's absolutely not replaceable at this point. I can't find reliable power for what I have in the Oliver.

I"ve run this stuff into the ground. Its time to do some serious work on it, or sell out. We don't have the money to retool. So, the crane is cheap.

We just took the second load of cattle to the sale barn on Monday. By next week, we'll be down by about 2/3 of the herd. This gets us through the Winter. Less mouths to feed. Money goes into my favorite high yield "safe" stocks until we need it. Then we buy back, once the work is done. Actually, a bit ahead on the thing. Younger cattle, with longer breeding life. Or, it'll all collapse like a house of cards............never know (shrug). What we lose in valuation on the sale of old cattle, gets made up by the reintroduction of young "3 ways".

If all this blows up, I'll sell everything, and play around making smokers like most doods that don't have anything better to do.

But, I value your opinion

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listing...rs/model/190xt Granted, these aren't the best prices out there, but it's fairly representative of what's available at a moments notice. And the prices don't reflect the cost to haul them to OK.

The loader, and sub frame, only fit an Allis 190XT. Won't fit any other brand of tractor, far as I know.

I can accumulate a sizeable junkyard of blown 190XT's if I keep replacing the bad ones. I figure it's time to stop that insanity. Another identical tractor, if I could find it at the price I paid for the first 2, would increase the total outlay to around 13-14K for a collection of paperweights(knowing that a high hour replacement won't last very long). This just ain't viable anymore. I'm tired of it, and just want to climb on something that's reliable.

I did notice..................I have looked around for a replacement.............that apparently the Allis has a chronic problem with the Power Director, and the transmission jumping out of high gear. Neither of my machines has that problem. So, from the motor back, they seem to still be in fairly reasonable shape.

Then.................The Oliver is sick............needs work on the 2spd hi/lo. It's absolutely not replaceable at this point. I can't find reliable power for what I have in the Oliver.

I"ve run this stuff into the ground. Its time to do some serious work on it, or sell out. We don't have the money to retool. So, the crane is cheap.

We just took the second load of cattle to the sale barn on Monday. By next week, we'll be down by about 2/3 of the herd. This gets us through the Winter. Less mouths to feed. Money goes into my favorite high yield "safe" stocks until we need it. Then we buy back, once the work is done. Actually, a bit ahead on the thing. Younger cattle, with longer breeding life. Or, it'll all collapse like a house of cards............never know (shrug). What we lose in valuation on the sale of old cattle, gets made up by the reintroduction of young "3 ways".

If all this blows up, I'll sell everything, and play around making smokers like most doods that don't have anything better to do.

But, I value your opinion
    It's a crappy situation either way . Around here it was mainly IH, John Deere, Case, Ford and then AC, MF and then White, Oliver and MM in about that order. Now it's Deere, Case IH , Kubota and then whoever is left with more and more imports like LS or Mahindra.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a crappy situation either way . Around here it was mainly IH, John Deere, Case, Ford and then AC, MF and then White, Oliver and MM in about that order. Now it's Deere, Case IH , Kubota and then whoever is left with more and more imports like LS or Mahindra.
    I fully understand that you're just trying to be helpful, It's just that I'm up against it right now, and sensitive as Hell.

Post Thanks / Like

I fully understand that you're just trying to be helpful, It's just that I'm up against it right now, and sensitive as Hell.
    I get it. Thing is after countless hours building a gantry you still have an engine to replace, which hopefully is a good engine.

Post Thanks / Like

I get it. Thing is after countless hours building a gantry you still have an engine to replace, which hopefully is a good engine.
    We've gone well beyond replacing the engine........if the block is still good.

I had a summit meeting with K'kins at the kitchen table.

We feel that it's time to rebuild what we have, if the basics are still good. Ton of money, but a good baseline.

Do the machine work on the crank, spun bearing, or not. Spend the money for new pistons and liners...........and replace the cam if it's worn. The injection pumps are still good on both tractors, and it's not terribly expensive to get the injectors tested. Anything else, is just regular replacement.

In the alternative..................if it's just the bottom end of the motor that's bad............fix it, and live with the blowby, and low compression. Remember that rebuilding the top end places a lot of stress on the bottom end. Compression on both engines is still(or was) good enough to fire up at around 50* ambient air temp. Neither engine required glow plug, excessive turning, or starting fluid, at temps above 50*. In my neck of the woods, that's still a good motor.

The Oliver will still fire at sub freezing temps. But, I hate to fire it up unless I run the block heater for a few hours.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to be a wet blanket, but if it spun a main the block will need a line bore. at that point you may as well strip it and check the liners and liner bores for pits and have the rods checked. Nothing worse than reassembling an engine and have the liner o-rings leak into the oil. Many a time I've been the second guy inline on one of those.
    Did a 3406B Cat 2 years ago that needed a line bore, a new crank and 5 out of 6 lower liner bores that needed to be sleeved. That wasn't a cheap engine.

34. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=farmersammm;8824465]https://www.tractorhouse.com/listing...rs/model/190xt Granted, these aren't the best prices out there, but it's fairly representative of what's available at a moments notice. And the prices don't reflect the cost to haul them to OK.

https://www.tractorhouse.com/listing...rs/model/190xt

In my studies & auction experience - the prices listed on your link can be divided by 2 to get the actual value of the tractor at auction cost. The theory is pretty accurate most of the time. (check it by comparing listings against auction results on the site).
    As far as transport - in 1995 my FIL & I purchased 2 cotton strippers in San Angelo TX & drove them to Alice TX (337 miles) for cotton harvest. Took 2 days, (17MPH full speed) but all it cost was time, fuel & a motel. When we got there we knew what was needed fixed on the machines.

As far as the loader goes - $200.00 of channel & plate & two days work (4 days for you sir - with all of the machining & precision tolerances you require) would modify that loader to fit on a kubota.

36. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Not to be a wet blanket, but if it spun a main the block will need a line bore. at that point you may as well strip it and check the liners and liner bores for pits and have the rods checked. Nothing worse than reassembling an engine and have the liner o-rings leak into the oil. Many a time I've been the second guy inline on one of those.
    Did a 3406B Cat 2 years ago that needed a line bore, a new crank and 5 out of 6 lower liner bores that needed to be sleeved. That wasn't a cheap engine.
    Name:  Wet Blanket.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  123.9 KB

38. Likes 12V71 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist