Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gantry Crane

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gantry Crane

Be able to use smaller pipe for the 45's. Cool. And, I'm gonna get me a blooooooooo boooook. Still use the templates coming, but this might be handy if we change the pipe diameter we bring home, and it doesn't match the templates. Some really interesting stuff. I've always done it by eye, and had one Hell of a mess to clean up to make it fit.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve got both the blue book, the black book and Pipe Template Layout. IMO the best for learning to layout pipe is Pipe Template Layout.

Name:  322BB049-5E95-4641-844D-4866F67B4552.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  70.1 KB
    Miller 350 Dynasty
    Miller Trailblazer
    Miller 625 Plasma

Lincoln Power MIG
    Victor oxy/acetylene
    Hyperthem 85

3. Likes 12V71, farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    Another template solution
    https://dogfeatherdesign.com/ttn_js/
    I found a calculator that does it in inches, instead of metric. I cannot wrap my head around metric

https://www.blocklayer.com/pipe-notcheng.aspx

I generated a few templates to see how it works, but haven't tried to print any.

5. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BluCllrPlt View Post
    I’ve got both the blue book, the black book and Pipe Template Layout. IMO the best for learning to layout pipe is Pipe Template Layout.

Name:  322BB049-5E95-4641-844D-4866F67B4552.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  70.1 KB
    I looked at the subjects covered on both books at https://pipefitter.com/store/books/pipefitter-books/

Mostly.........I need straight 90* saddles, and 45* laterals?. But I seem to have, in the past, run into angles that aren't 45*.........either more/less. I dunno if either book covers the strange angles.

Post Thanks / Like

Sammy,
    I use this type clamps on my beam . I just use a I beam for the base, and gusseted everything. Plus I can add a 8 inch extension out of the same stuff for a bit extra lift outside. Had to make it 9 ft on my shop..Everything bolt together ,so it could go on my trailer, for when i move the Cincinnati, and Metal Muncher..

I have a 5 ton, and 3 ton version..

https://www.amazon.com/Lifting-Syste...0122983&sr=8-1
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Thermal LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal 60i- 3phase /RPC powered (Beast)
    Thermal Drag-gun 35C
    INE 1500
    Klutch 140i

Post Thanks / Like

pipe coping/saddles suggestion:

Do it fast, accurate, and on the cheap.

Use a tube and pipe notching calculator with free template print out, and then print out from home or office/mailbox store of your choice.

They are all under different names pipe saddle generator, tube and pipe notching calculator, pipe fitting calculator, but you should find a number of free, easy, and fast choices to work with.

Keep up the good work sammm! When we're old(er) and (more) broken we'll remember these struggles and long for days!

Post Thanks / Like

If this were my gantry crane build. I would just purchase a new one. Try to find one that was built pre metal price boom. The cost of that new one will probably be the cost if steel alone right now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a complete tail chaser, over builder, over thinker, et al.

For that reason I can't judge sammm or anyone else on taking the long way and wanting to do it extra right - but I believe I would have built it for < $200 out of lumber and already been 5 days into rebuilding the tractor.

Sometimes when your back is against the wall you REALLY just have to get it done. I learned this from my father, he wasn't into shortcuts but in many, many instances there just wasn't time, tools, or money to do things the best way. Many times the best way was just about getting it done, safe, fast, cheap, and getting back to work.

Either way I always enjoy Sammm's builds, posts, and projects. It's always a good day when there's a new project of his to read about.

11. Likes AlabamaJoe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Was supposed to pick up the steel yesterday, but the dood is down with Covid. Absolutely no excuse for this......vaccines have been available here for ages.

Try again today if the guy's feeling any better. Might have to ask for a key to the yard, pay him, then go load it out. This is a real PITA.

Used pipe is going up daily. I want to get this done before it goes up any higher. Only other reasonable pipe is 125mi South of here. 250/8mpg (light load)=about 30gal gasoline at $2.89/gallon. That adds to the cost bigtime.

Oklahoma is a very low vaccine rate state. One of the worst.

The REALLY crappy thing......................the guy is a very nice guy. It's always the decent people that wind up having bad things happen to them. The jerks live forever, and get away with everything under the Sun.

13. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

vaccines won't stop you getting the lurgy with extra teeth, but it will make it harder for you to get it. if you do get it, then it will help lessen the effects of it.

this is what i have learned from the medical professionals.

Post Thanks / Like

Cut the crap About the vaccine BS. All threads regarding that were banned thanks to a bunch of liberal crybabies. If my opinions regarding politics ( yes the vaccine is nothing but political) why should you be able to make mindless rants about it? Get on with the endless overthinking, unnecessary precision and general fuchery and build the thing.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been thinking about a home built gantry crane since I got the heated shop built. For the top channel I have an old Co-op 15' swather with a long square beam across the back ( I think it's around 10" square) . Nothing in the scrap pile you could re-use? I've also been thinking I could use something like a small version bin crane for lifting water tanks etc. out of truck boxes.... might be a more versatile design for the jobs you have around the yard.
    Last edited by whtbaron; 08-29-2021 at 11:12 AM.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Used pipe is going up daily. I want to get this done before it goes up any higher. Only other reasonable pipe is 125mi South of here. 250/8mpg (light load)=about 30gal gasoline at $2.89/gallon. That adds to the cost bigtime.

Oklahoma is a very low vaccine rate state. One of the worst.
    By the time you get done putting new engines in two junk tractors, $90 in gas money is going to be a rounding error.
    Last edited by Oxford1; 08-29-2021 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Mistype

Post Thanks / Like

But I seem to have, in the past, run into angles that aren't 45*.........either more/less. I dunno if either book covers the strange angles.
    Just stab it in there and use an extra wide rod........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    Just stab it in there and use an extra wide rod........
    That’s my “go too” for most joints.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

20. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Be able to use smaller pipe for the 45's. Cool. And, I'm gonna get me a blooooooooo boooook. Still use the templates coming, but this might be handy if we change the pipe diameter we bring home, and it doesn't match the templates. Some really interesting stuff. I've always done it by eye, and had one Hell of a mess to clean up to make it fit.
    I've used the top method for years fitting stuff of different sizes and some odd angles using the Blue book for a guide. Been through a lot of calculator tape over the years.

22. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The poor guy was sick as a dog, but met us there at 2:00. He had been recovering,, but it made a turn for the worse. I've heard this about Covid.

This pipe thing is a total learning process

I'm not sure what kind of pipe this was...............he called it 5 1/2" pipe, which it actually was, on the OD. But the wall thickness couldn't have been more than the equivalent of 11ga (around 1/8). One end was threaded, the other either had collars, or the collars had been cut off. I'm thinking this stuff was well casing?????

I've looked at the specs for well casing, and most of it is at least 1/4 wall.......at least the specs I could find.

K'kins suggested, and I'm thinking she's right...................if this stuff was casing, it could have been down hole for decades...........and the outside literally rusted away over the years. I think she's about as right as anybody could be I guess (shrug) Our water well has gotten to the point where roots have invaded the casing, so she's probably spot on.

Anyways............one side of the pipe was so badly pitted that it was literally down to paper thin at the bottom of the pits. I didn't feel it was useable. The guy said it might not be, so it's not like he inflated the condition of the pipe. He offered us 4 joints (32'/joint) for $250 if I thought it might be useable. I turned it down. It would have been ok for corners on fence, but not for something that is over my head.

I'm learning this used pipe thing is extremely "buyer beware". Sucks to have to resort to using used steel.

We have 3 more leads for the pipe. She's gonna call her leads tomorrow,, and I'll call the guy down South, and be specific about the questions I'll ask.

1. Is it structural pipe
    2. OD (actual), not nominal
    3. Wall thickness
    4. Presence of pitting, and stuff inside the pipe

We had the 1 ton, and trailer, today...................total waste...........I'm thinking you have to go inspect this stuff before you go hooking up trailers, and dragging them all over the countryside.

The last used pipe I bought was scrap from a refinery turnaround (I guess that's the right word). Was in pristine condition except for the residue inside the pipe. Very good stuff. Had to use a respirator to grind off the paint..........they warned me that it was an epoxy paint, and highly toxic. And, over the years I've bought 2 3/8 which is downright nasty, but still enough of a wall to be excellent pipe. This stuff was like nothing I've ever seen

Post Thanks / Like

I bought used building sprinkler pipe that was exactly as you described except it was in good condition with no pits. Very thin wall relative to the diameter.
    Miller 350 Dynasty
    Miller Trailblazer
    Miller 625 Plasma

Lincoln Power MIG
    Victor oxy/acetylene
    Hyperthem 85

Post Thanks / Like

Sammmm it sounds like your luck is like mine. I probably would have as much into gas and screwing around trying to fight old materials as if I would have just bought new. Hopefully your other sources pan out
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

26. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BluCllrPlt View Post
    I bought used building sprinkler pipe that was exactly as you described except it was in good condition with no pits. Very thin wall relative to the diameter.
    THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're probably right!! As you can plainly tell...................I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing All I know about pipe, is that it's round, and I don't know how to deal with it (sigh)

Post Thanks / Like

Nailed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 1/2" .270 wall IIRC.......NEW PIPE...............$4.75/foot. Over in Tulsa If I care to step up an inch............5 1/2, 3/8 wall, $5.50/ft used.

K'kins, aka Cow Patty DOES IT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be outta here at sunup tomorrow morning.

I talked to another ckskr, told him what I need it for.........like I tell all the people. Azzhole says he ain't gonna design it for me. I didn't ask him to design it, I just want the dimensions and the f'n price. "Depends on how many feet you want".....................120-160ft 4 1/2..................$6/foot says this f'n hero. For used crap.

Splained to the dood in Tulsa that I wasn't an oilfield guy, or a pipe guy. I think in NOMINAL terms. So................is 4 1/2 pipe same as a sch pipe in my terms.........inside diameter + wall. Dood laughed, told me he gets guys like me, and gave me the damn dimensions without lookin' down his nose. You gotta sale BrotherName:  tkqe4fh-smiley-two-thumbs-up175028_285604.gif
Views: 201
Size:  1.1 KB

I just went the rounds with the doctor this afternoon, and I ain't got much patience. Nice to do business with a NORMAL person.

Gonna cost $3/cut if we need to cut a joint down to fit the trailer. The joints run from 32' to 40'.

Sometimes the bear bites you, sometimes you bite the bear.

Post Thanks / Like

happy dance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30. Likes AlabamaJoe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lookin' GOOD!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Lookin' GOOD!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That .270 wall is schedule 40. OD is the same since it's sized for threading.

Post Thanks / Like

4" sch40 https://www.engineersedge.com/fluid_...chedule-40.htm

5" sch80 https://www.engineersedge.com/fluid_...chedule-80.htm

These are the two sizes available, per our conversation this afternoon(me and the pipe guy). And, they are the correct nominal specs that I'm used to. Pipe is not the same as tubing, which goes by outside diameter. It's incorrect to say "4.5" pipe, when in fact, it's 4" pipe. Whereas.........4" tubing is 4" OD, then you have to specifiy wall thickness. I've dealt with this for years.......which is why it's a bit weird to deal with these oilfield guys on pipe. The nomenclature is different, and you have to get used to it.

Looking at the specs..........I'd be very pleased if I could get ahold of 5" sch40 if the guy has it. Its cross section affords a better safety factor for use in a tall column, and the weight isn't excessive. Although 5" sch80 is doable in a pinch.......especially at the price. Damn thing will weigh over 2K using sch80 I have access to a borrowed front end loader, but it's not as big as mine..................I think it will be able to lift the thing to tip it upright if I use the heavier pipe.

A 13' fixed length column is an interesting thing to deal with............without the loader accessories I specifically designed to handle this kind of stuff. I just hadn't planned on the loader going down

I put together all the bells, and whistles, anticipating this build Name:  loader crane40.JPG
Views: 185
Size:  240.1 KB And the damn tractor front end is sitting in a low point..............I had some really good height capabilities

At this point, I'm in for about a grand. Pipe, and hardware. Same cost as buying a cheezy gantry crane. I'll go over budget if I buy a nice set of 6 pipe stands, but I can use them in the future, or sell them at about what I paid for them.

34. Likes whtbaron liked this post