+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gantry Crane

Post Thanks / Like

Gantry Crane

Don't expect this to be done in a week. There's a lot of stuff still to be done getting ready for Winter.

I initially plugged the wrong numbers into BeamBoy I wound up with some seriously underwhelming load results

I'm taking the deal on the S6 beam. Not a steal, but a fair price for a 10' section.

I need 4K capacity. My heaviest engine is around 2600# from what I gather (Cummins 350, and Detroit 6-71). This capacity also covers about 90% of what I need to possibly lift with my small tractors.

The numbers........................................

S6x12.5 (This is the estimated weight per foot, I didn't get the details, so I'm taking the lightest specification for this depth beam.......heavier beam is 17.25#/ft)

Name:  crane1.jpg
Views: 1433
Size:  40.8 KB
    4K load dead center 9' clear span

Name:  crane2.jpg
Views: 1456
Size:  71.5 KB
    the numbers

Name:  crane3.jpg
Views: 1462
Size:  238.0 KB

At 4000 pounds, I'm at half the capacity of this size beam. 2:1 safety factor isn't ideal,, but it's good enough. The probability of dealing with heavier, or even max (4K), loads is very low. I know the limits, and what happens to the second owner is not my problem.

I'm leaning towards 3" square tubing for the verticals, but noodling around with the idea of using 4" instead. I don't envision traveling with the crane, but it could happen. Side sway could be an issue. I need to do some calculations on that too I guess. Most of the stress will be at the beam connection, so 3" might be adequate if the beam is properly flanged, and the connection well gusseted.

2. Likes Shootr, John Baptist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gantry Crane

I still like this one better. Larger safety margin.

https://www.hoistsdirect.com/shop/2229

8" beam.

Click on specifications to look at the drawing, which shows dimensions.

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I would love to watch this build in my case it was much cheaper in the end (time and money) just to buy one.

Northern Tool + Equipment Strongway Adjustable Gantry Crane — 4000-Lb. Capacity, 7ft. 10 3/10in.–11ft. 9 3/10in. Lift, 7ft. 9 3/10in. between vertical beams and good casters!

Currently $720 (on sale from $770).

Name:  strongway gantry crane.jpg
Views: 1363
Size:  49.0 KB

I like the height adjusting feature, very slick if you use it in different height buildings.

If used for off roading I would add outer gussets to the beam and change each caster to a 2x caster walking beam setup.
    Last edited by SlowBlues; 08-18-2021 at 07:08 PM.

5. Likes VaughnT, rhunt, John Baptist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

While looking at the above Strongway crane, for most of us guys this would probably do most jobs around the shop. But, Sammm most always makes his projects to last a life time and he, not having a concrete floor to work off, I don't think this would do what he needs. Just my thoughts, plus, this crane eliminates the challenge we all know Sammm enjoys! Bob
    Last edited by rhunt; 08-19-2021 at 06:44 AM.

7. Likes John Baptist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rhunt View Post
    While looking at the above Strongway crane, for most of us guys this would probably do most jobs around the shop. But, Sammm most always makes his projects to last a life time and he, not having a concrete floor to work off, I don't think this would do what he needs. Just my thoughts, plus, this crane eliminates the challenge we all know Sammm enjoys! Bob
    This one really has me feeling I might not be able to do the work. I'm not set up for this, even with a crane. We don't have a choice I guess. It's still better than sending the tractor off somewhere to be fixed.

9. Likes rhunt liked this post
    The wheat fields of Kansas,in a large metal building
    Post Thanks / Like

Samm,

I think you know that overhead lifting devices are speced with a 5-1 safety factor. The margins are too narrow on the material for the weight. A 6-71 or small cam/BC 350 is nothing to be under when the deflection goes oval. You could strengthen the beam with a channel cap but, that likely kills the "deal" you got on the beam

Life, your life is too precious to fool around with hooky cranes. You have a forklift? Make a riggers boom for the forklift with that beam.
    Steve from SoCal now in Hutch

Miller Dynasty 300DX Coolmate3 Speedway Torch
    Miller XMT 450 MPa plus with D-74 MPa Plus
    Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    And a whole bunch of machines

11. Likes farmersammm, John Baptist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve from SoCal View Post
    Samm,

I think you know that overhead lifting devices are speced with a 5-1 safety factor. The margins are too narrow on the material for the weight. A 6-71 or small cam/BC 350 is nothing to be under when the deflection goes oval. You could strengthen the beam with a channel cap but, that likely kills the "deal" you got on the beam

Life, your life is too precious to fool around with hooky cranes. You have a forklift? Make a riggers boom for the forklift with that beam.
    I think you're right. It's the reason I favor the Wallace crane with the 8" beam. Dry weight on both engines(Detroit, and Cummins) runs around 2600#. And I need to lift the Allis tractors to roll the axle out from under the front, just to be able to pop the oil pan off to look for the damage.

While I was waiting to go see the pulmonologist this afternoon, I got to thinking about the overall REAL issue.

The biggest enemy of any I beam is twist. It has to be level, and plumb. This is a real issue with something used on relatively rough ground.

I can level the crane while it's stationary, but once it has to be moved, game over. The beam will twist because the running gear will twist.

I'm right back to square one.......................I'm still looking at rectangular tubing for a beam. It resists torsion, and stays stronger when in rotational twist. On a scale from 0-3, a pipe beam is #1, square tubing #2, with rectangular tubing coming in at #3. Square/rectangular shapes are easier to design a trolley for.

I might be overthinking it. I have no experience with structural steel. I'm not familiar with how it behaves when in a warp.............but common sense says it's a bad thing

I've come up with a system to keep the trolley from moving side to side as the beam tilts, but I'm now totally redesigning the uprights to take the stress from side sway. Thicker at the top, tapering down to meet the running gear. The critical point is the connection between the beam, and the uprights. This is a hinge waiting to happen. A custom, built up, column won't be appreciably more expensive than going to a larger size of commercially available tubing.

Yeah, I got a forklift..............it mounts on the loader tractor So does the crane that would make lifting the thing upright a breeze I'm back to using the little 3pt crane I built the loader with, 20yrs ago But we gotta plan for that little problem.

13. Likes BD1, John Baptist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you should recheck your numbers on the weight of those engines. Seems to me like a 14 liter Cummins is closer to 4,000 lbs. I'm sure it depends on accessories, but you need to keep in mind it may take substancially more force to iniatally break the engine free.

15. Likes 12V71, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    I think you should recheck your numbers on the weight of those engines. Seems to me like a 14 liter Cummins is closer to 4,000 lbs. I'm sure it depends on accessories, but you need to keep in mind it may take substancially more force to iniatally break the engine free.
    https://www.barringtondieselclub.co....55-bigcam.html They're showing 2800#, other places I've looked show 2600# I've got the book on the thing somewhere, but I need to dig it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  crane4.jpg
Views: 1188
Size:  160.9 KB I like this, and it's probably the final design. Fore, and aft, sway is taken up by the usual braces that run down to the running gear. I favor around 4" at the bottom due to this. No need for a huge footprint on top of the running gear............you're only looking at a ton per column. The running gear is the least problematic issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    https://www.barringtondieselclub.co....55-bigcam.html They're showing 2800#, other places I've looked show 2600# I've got the book on the thing somewhere, but I need to dig it up.
    One thing to remember, pulling an engine from a cabover is going to require a bunch of extra span on a gantry to get the engine out over the side unless you have room to back it out over the rear of the frame.

19. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  crane5.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  209.5 KB

Name:  crane6.jpg
Views: 1215
Size:  95.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    One thing to remember, pulling an engine from a cabover is going to require a bunch of extra span on a gantry to get the engine out over the side unless you have room to back it out over the rear of the frame.
    The yard is about 1.5 acres

22. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sammm, I'm thinking of the ease of using a boom truck for this application of removing engine and moving from tractor. This has several advantages, height and ease of movement. If building a crane, a flat bed truck could be used or a heavy trailer. Just my thoughts here and I know these thoughts are taking this build in a different direction but the results would be the same. Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Nevermind.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by 12V71; 08-20-2021 at 03:48 PM.

25. Likes farmersammm, rhunt, 12345678910, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is looking worse by the day.

I priced 4x8x3/16 plate.....................$367 And it's too stinkin' short. They can't get 10 footers. Need to cut out 4 pieces per sheet.

4x1/4 flat.....................$52

I'm not sure this is right, I got one of the minions on the phone, not the owner........................4x4x1/4 square tubing........$450

I'm figuring every damn way I can to get around this without having to make this stinkin' thing. If I can get away with leaving the cab on (I have to work on the other Allis that doesn't have a loader first), I'll do the damn thing with a cherry picker Or, I'll pull the damn loader off the crap Allis, and do it (has no cab).

It just sticks in my craw to give a ton of money to some stinkin' merchant It's not his fault, but it's still a real killer. I can get the steel cheaper from another yard , but I don't believe in buying from out of town guys. And..........in the long ago past, I bought some steel from this other outfit, and it was seconds. The dimensions were weird.

Cut hay this weekend up near the house, and think about it I guess. This is BS. Then the whole stinkin' next week is doctor appointments, which kills the days.

I have enough steel on hand to build the splitting rails, and trolleys, to hold the tractor halves...................and that's about it for now. This is getting real depressing.

If you read your history, when JFK was in office, there was a steel crunch. He called the heads of the companies into the Oval Office, and read them the riot act. Price of steel came down to a fair price after the commotion. I believe he shifted Defense spending to companies that supplied cheaper steel. This changed the picture. The companies caved in, and kept prices down.

Ultimately, United States steel manufacturers refused to modernize, and eventually lost market share to imported steel.

None of this grousing helps my situation, but it feels better blowing off some steam.

27. Likes mcspeed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And, I'll guarantee you that if I go in and buy this stinkin' steel, it's gonna be stamped "Made In Mexico". The high prices won't create American jobs. I'll just pay a tariff that the last dood in office placed on steel. I'm fed up with ALL STINKIN' POLITICIANS.

Steel comes directly from the Gulf, into Port of Catoosa in Claremore. All of it from Mexico for the most part. This is just plain CRAP.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey......my apologies......Politics doesn't belong in this discussion. I'm just bein' a jerk about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you're looking at this the wrong way sammm,

a handful of times in my life my dad and I built a "temporary" ~12ft high x ~10ft span fixed gantry crane out of wood to work on his dump trucks. Just burried the legs a good amount (packed with gravel and rock), the first time we also built some braces on top of the soil, but found it was completely unnecessary. Simple metal straps and plates for brackets between wood joints, nothing welded.

Takes a few hours at most.

The wood and material was always free from work.

worked wonderfully every time.

Usually we would use 6x6 or greater, adding whatever material we felt was needed for the load. Once we used sistered 2x4s (nailed, screwed, and glued), with zero difference).

Had to pull the vehicle out/back trailer under instead of moving the crane, no big deal.

We later beefed up a car port ridge to act as our gantry crane, works great to this day (20 years later).

I would suggest you Use PL premium (I like the 3x version). I like to use nails for the main structural stuff, or REAL structural wood screws (Strong tie type), but deck screws will likely do.

I'm not sure how crazy lumber prices are in your area but sometimes building a lifetime tool is just not in cards, sometimes the easiest/cheapest way to go is the absolute best.

Cost wise, I would buy a bunch of 2x4s and sister them up with glue, nails, and screws for clamping force. basically home made LVL beams. Look up LVL beams sizes for approximate size requirements for your predicted load.
    Last edited by SlowBlues; 08-20-2021 at 05:31 PM.

31. Likes Kevin_Essiambre liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Forget the exact $$$ amounts my friend told me last night but 5'x10'x1/4" sheet $850.00 at our steel supplier for an example.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lars66 View Post
    Forget the exact $$$ amounts my friend told me last night but 5'x10'x1/4" sheet $850.00 at our steel supplier for an example.
    Holy crap. I haven't needed to buy steel for a while. Holy CRAP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Holy crap. I haven't needed to buy steel for a while. Holy CRAP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I might have used stronger language then that when I was told. Been working off inventory so probably haven't bought since late winter early spring. right now I think my steel inventory is worth more than the shop equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

Lars is pretty close on the price. I priced a 5x10 sheet of 1/4 tread. Best price my guy could give me was 600 that was down 150 from list
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  crane7.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  72.0 KB

37. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

K'kins called one of her bosses to see if he knew of some used beams for sale. He said he might have either a 6" or 8" beam up at one of the yards, and it's ours for the taking. THAT IS FRIGGIN' HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sometimes people amaze you.

39. Likes AlabamaJoe, 12V71, Shootr, Munkul, _Weldman_ liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist