+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Gantry Crane

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gantry Crane

This was my setup, 2.5" schedule 40 pipe and a couple of chains. Did a lot with it in 5 years. I could actually load stuff in the back of the truck using a couple of come alongs to help. No milling or lathe work required. Name:  FullSizeR.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  113.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Been thinking about something like that on a dead truck frame (old Dodge D500 parts truck) and a tractor hitch out front so I could use the tractor hydraulics for cylinder lifts or to run a hydraulic winch.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

3. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Been thinking about something like that on a dead truck frame (old Dodge D500 parts truck) and a tractor hitch out front so I could use the tractor hydraulics for cylinder lifts or to run a hydraulic winch.
    I've seen more than one of those around here. They work pretty well.

5. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oxford1 View Post
    And the light bulb hasn’t even come on from the realization that unless the contraption is dead level, it’s not gonna work at all. Since the whole farm is a mud hole, that’s an unlikely proposition.
    Name:  idiot.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  25.9 KB

Got some trailer jack stubs already in the parts pile. Pipe pinned trailer jacks for leveling, then take 'em off when it's leveled.

You need to get a new schtick.
    Last edited by farmersammm; 09-06-2021 at 12:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    This was my setup, 2.5" schedule 40 pipe and a couple of chains. Did a lot with it in 5 years. I could actually load stuff in the back of the truck using a couple of come alongs to help. No milling or lathe work required. Name:  FullSizeR.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  113.6 KB
    Hey we had one of those Chevs. A '67 with an aluminum van body. No power steering but easy to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

8. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This kind of gets me to thinking about IrishFixit, you guys that have been around for a while probably remember the guy.

Anyways, I had just finished the trailer, and was moving stuff around the area......mostly picking stuff up for resale.

I was starting to get into stuff that had to be winched up on the trailer, and I didn't want to have the problem of uplift on the hitch, or possibly bending the rear portion of the trailer. I needed to make a kd setup for taking the strain. Besides...........it's just a safer, slicker, method...........

We had a conversation about the load that could be on the rear of the trailer, and how to size the beam to be placed under the trailer. He clued me in to BeamBoy. I've been using that program for many years now

Name:  deckover2.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  124.7 KB Nice little setup. The beam hangs on small chains up under the frame until you can pin the jacks to it, then use the jacks to give support to the rear deck, regardless of the ground contour. Handy. Sits out by the shop till you need it, then just toss it on the trailer for the job at hand. Two jacks and a piece of 3/16 wall tubing.

IrishFixit was one Hell of a guy. Highly skilled, and very easy to get along with.

10. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Hey we had one of those Chevs. A '67 with an aluminum van body. No power steering but easy to drive.

Mine was a 1970 with power steering, even had factory air and a dealer installed Delco 8 track player. (non working of course)

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  crane28.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  208.1 KB

One of the two books I ordered, came in on Saturday. We've been moving brush piles, and demo-ing a porch, so I just got around to paging through it this evening. It has everything I need I'll send those templates back on Tuesday. Lot easier to use the book method. Still have one more that I ordered.......ought to be here sometime after the holiday.

Post Thanks / Like

Gawd, I remember those old C series Chevies Little gasser motor..........couldn't get out of their own way going downhill with a 30mph tailwind

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oxford1 View Post
    And the light bulb hasn’t even come on from the realization that unless the contraption is dead level, it’s not gonna work at all. Since the whole farm is a mud hole, that’s an unlikely proposition.

That is true about the level placement of the contraption being paramount to success. If he is doing it in the mud, why not taper a pipe and use water to cut it into the earth. Then pour some cement around it and make a boom for it. Except for the cement that is how they set poles for docks. They start with a 40-foot tapered pole and a two-inch pipe with a 2" salvage pump pumping water through it hung next to it. The water just cuts a path for the tapered pole. Because they do this in saltwater they do not pour cement afterward but sam could.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Gawd, I remember those old C series Chevies Little gasser motor..........couldn't get out of their own way going downhill with a 30mph tailwind
    I dunno about that, mine was rebuilt with 9.5 to 1 pistons, a set of 96 Vortec heads, an Edelbrock performer cam and intake topped off with a Holley 650 4 barrel carb and 2-1/4" dual exhaust. Ran pretty well for a 14,000 lb. truck... way better than my '92 F350 with the 460.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    That is true about the level placement of the contraption being paramount to success. If he is doing it in the mud, why not taper a pipe and use water to cut it into the earth. Then pour some cement around it and make a boom for it. Except for the cement that is how they set poles for docks. They start with a 40-foot tapered pole and a two-inch pipe with a 2" salvage pump pumping water through it hung next to it. The water just cuts a path for the tapered pole. Because they do this in saltwater they do not pour cement afterward but sam could.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Geez Bill,, don't you read either????????????????? Go back and read post #179.

This is it gents, I'll catch ya when it's underway, or done I can't take the irritation.........my heart's gonna start doin' bad things

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  crane28.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  208.1 KB

One of the two books I ordered, came in on Saturday. We've been moving brush piles, and demo-ing a porch, so I just got around to paging through it this evening. It has everything I need I'll send those templates back on Tuesday. Lot easier to use the book method. Still have one more that I ordered.......ought to be here sometime after the holiday.
    In addition to the first book I recommended, I also have the Blue and Black versions. I got a lot more use out of the Template layout book for my application. Good luck on the build!
    Name:  337C972F-ED5F-4C44-B36F-AEA9932E7983.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  69.5 KB
    Miller 350 Dynasty
    Miller Trailblazer
    Miller 625 Plasma
    Died and needs a new circuit board so its an expensive boat anchor now
    Lincoln Power MIG
    Victor oxy/acetylene
    Hyperthem 85

Post Thanks / Like

Gantry Crane

We had three of them. . An older cab style 66 and a 67 with 292 cu in six cylinders and a 1970 with a 350. None with power steering.

Nice enough for farm trucks with the two speed axles but I remember the older cab style steered the easiest.

Last edited by Lis2323; 09-06-2021 at 10:34 AM.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

I got other things to do than chase down layouts and drawing templates on paper, pipemastertools.com

20. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Man if your gonna figure all them templates out versus grabbing one out of the package and going to work your not in a big hurry to get this done trust me those computer generated templates are way more accurate then ones your gonna make fit up is critical if they don’t fit your time spent welding cutting and grinding is huge factor especially when you are out of position ! You don’t have to believe me but I will get several other people on this site will tell you the same thing . You said it yourself your not good at pipe so don’t make it harder . I been sitting here reading all this and thinking about all the ideas offered . It isn’t going to be easy with just one guy . I beam is your best bet trolleys fit right on there no modifications . If your worried about the beam you will see a lot of beams on overhead cranes hav a heavy channel on them . The channel is placed flanges down and stitch welded onto the beam overhead crane design is a whole different ball of wax. Now when it comes to leveling it your gonna have to get it right on and be seriously blocked to keep it level I have no idea what your plans are but your gonna need railroad ties or equivlent to to hold this thing up. I would have big trailer jacks or something equivlent to level it once you start using it your gonna be surprised if it isn’t level !! My two cents worth . Worked in a building once that the overhead wasn’t level took two to three guys to move something cause it wanted to go it’s own direction .

22. Likes 12V71, whtbaron, _Weldman_, Oxford1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The worst part of most of those old gas powered c60 trucks was the underwhelming hydraulic brakes. Put 500 bushels of corn on them and you were glad to only be going 30 mph. When we got our first tandem with the 427 5&4 transmission and air brakes I was very happy
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmshop View Post
    The worst part of most of those old gas powered c60 trucks was the underwhelming hydraulic brakes. Put 500 bushels of corn on them and you were glad to only be going 30 mph. When we got our first tandem with the 427 5&4 transmission and air brakes I was very happy
    Yup. And yup.

Except I moved over to Ford. 1160 Cat and 5&4 trans.

:

25. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This kind of gets me to thinking about IrishFixit, you guys that have been around for a while probably remember the guy.

Anyways, I had just finished the trailer, and was moving stuff around the area......mostly picking stuff up for resale.

I was starting to get into stuff that had to be winched up on the trailer, and I didn't want to have the problem of uplift on the hitch, or possibly bending the rear portion of the trailer. I needed to make a kd setup for taking the strain. Besides...........it's just a safer, slicker, method...........

We had a conversation about the load that could be on the rear of the trailer, and how to size the beam to be placed under the trailer. He clued me in to BeamBoy. I've been using that program for many years now

Name:  deckover2.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  124.7 KB Nice little setup. The beam hangs on small chains up under the frame until you can pin the jacks to it, then use the jacks to give support to the rear deck, regardless of the ground contour. Handy. Sits out by the shop till you need it, then just toss it on the trailer for the job at hand. Two jacks and a piece of 3/16 wall tubing.

IrishFixit was one Hell of a guy. Highly skilled, and very easy to get along with.
    Sammy,
    my trailer came with those jacks.. Did not help me load this today.. Had to use my own,,,A flat bed like yours would of been easier to deal with.. Although removing the fenders on mine worked too..

I am grateful there was not a Safety Sam hanging around. (It was the wooden cutout sign they had at or crosswalk in grade school.. )Who knew?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

27. Likes Lis2323, _Weldman_, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    Sammy,
    my trailer came with those jacks.. Did not help me load this today.. Had to use my own,,,A flat bed like yours would of been easier to deal with.. Although removing the fenders on mine worked too..
    I am grateful there was not a Safety Sam hanging around. (It was the wooden cutout sign they had at or crosswalk in grade school.. )Who knew?
    Good thing DOT wasn’t around. I’m going to up the ante on moving a shipping container around, this is a side project of a 5th wheel I’ve been working on I had to move 1200 miles along with the green one in the picture. Me and the wife hand winched it, it’s a 40’ high cube and the trailer is 40’ that it went on, had to make two trips.
    Name:  20D453EB-0667-4E23-8B41-7609BAC3EDE1.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  140.1 KBName:  4F04FA66-E9BB-4C8A-BA0E-6A9572518D27.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  146.1 KBName:  8C156474-512D-41D4-B09A-AA92B53CFC1B.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  156.7 KBName:  1A1787EF-8C1D-4486-B465-F032118856B3.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  140.1 KB

29. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's moving 1/2 block. so no ODOT. on this private road.. I am guessing some mud flaps, more chain, and removing the side jacks it would be legal to move anywhere in this state.It's under any weigh limit for a private party to move.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

31. Likes _Weldman_, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    It's moving 1/2 block. so no ODOT. on this private road.. I am guessing some mud flaps, more chain, and removing the side jacks it would be legal to move anywhere in this state.It's under any weigh limit for a private party to move.
    Just curious, was that along Millican just a few miles south of the tire warehouse? Looks familiar... I go through there twice a year to camp out with some friends between Pine mountain and Fox butte. A midnight trip to the observatory is always on our agenda.

33. Likes Brand X liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am on the other side, close to the Prineville Reservoir. I can see the Facebook Solar site on Millican rd from here. My RV space Renter works at the Les Schwab warehouse.just about a 15 mile drive from here.
    Last edited by Brand X; 09-08-2021 at 01:26 AM.
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Weldcote 140

35. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a gantry crane but pretty cool..

Canton Foundries

And an Acme I believe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

37. Likes 12V71, whtbaron, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like that design better for heavy engines, but I want to be able to lift truck cabs and pickup boxes so I need more clearance.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist