+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cast Steel to Mild Steel Plate

Post Thanks / Like

Cast Steel to Mild Steel Plate

I have a Cast Steel "Hub" to be welded to 3/8" mild steel. (I included the cross section below) The weld profile is a double sided groove with the lip of the cast steel acting as it's own backing. The opening of the groove is just a hair over 3/8" with the depth being 3/8" and they are wanting this completed in one pass. I'm not a fan of welding cast period unless it's just fixing a crack. But this hub will be loaded with up to 6,200lbs on and off and I fear the weld profile we've been given just won't suffice. Could I get any second opinions on the matter?

Name:  Cast Cross Section.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  25.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cast Steel to Mild Steel Plate

Quote Originally Posted by SP4NKH4RD View Post
    I have a Cast Steel "Hub" to be welded to 3/8" mild steel. (I included the cross section below) The weld profile is a double sided groove with the lip of the cast steel acting as it's own backing. The opening of the groove is just a hair over 3/8" with the depth being 3/8" and they are wanting this completed in one pass. I'm not a fan of welding cast period unless it's just fixing a crack. But this hub will be loaded with up to 6,200lbs on and off and I fear the weld profile we've been given just won't suffice. Could I get any second opinions on the matter?

Name:  Cast Cross Section.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  25.0 KB
    Cast steel is like hot rolled steel. It welds just like hot rolled steel. It is nothing like cast iron if it is of good quality. Could someone cast a part out of some other type of steel or cast it poorly? I would think so, but cast steel has always been similar to hot rolled steel in my experience.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

3. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    Cast steel is like hot rolled steel.
    ...and every weld deposit is effectively "cast steel"... it's melted/alloyed in liquid form, put in place, and allowed to cool and harden.

5. Likes 12V71, CAVEMANN, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Take the length of the weld,, convert it to square inches, then calculate the Ksi strength of the weld. You'll be amazed. The weld shown in the drawing is more than adequate.

Design is all about how the parts interact, not just the strength of the weld. Many welders forget this. You're not hanging a ton on a weld,, you're hanging a ton on a structure.

Single pass.......absolutely. Keeps the heat to a minimum,, and hopefully won't distort the casting that has to have a decent shaped hole when you're done.

7. Likes CAVEMANN, William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

in another thread, you say this has resulted in 100% failure. Well............ok

If it's failing, it's the design. How is the damn thing loaded, how does it relate to the rest of the structure, etc........................

Is the round part fully surrounded by plate, or does it hang out like in the above pic?? Ton of questions unrelated to welding.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist